+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Believed to Have Purchased Wi-Gear

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
There is rampant speculation that Apple has acquired yet another company. This time, the rumored purchase is of the firm Wi-Gear, the Bluetooth iOS headphone maker. The third-party maker of
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Apple Believed to Have Purchased Wi-Gear

There is rampant speculation that Apple has acquired yet another company. This time, the rumored purchase is of the firm Wi-Gear, the Bluetooth iOS headphone maker. The third-party maker of iPhone and iPod accessories has experienced a great deal of success with its line of products and, for this reason, Apple may be interested in tapping into its advanced accessories as iOS devices continue to become more sophisticated and possibly in need of such accessories to enjoy the full iDevice experience.

So... why do people think Apple bought Wi-Gear? Well, supposedly, Apple scooped up the company about two months ago. As a result, WiGear announced on its website that they are now closed for business. Just like that? The popular maker of iMuffs has just disappeared without warning? Adding fuel to the fire is news from a Gizmodo report that Wi-Gear's co-founder, Michael Kim, now works for Apple. It's amazing how much investigative dirt a Linkedin profile can uncover, huh?

Longtime Apple fans will recall that Apple was once big on Bluetooth headsets and initially rolled out its very own iPhone-compatible Bluetooth headset three years ago. Last year, though, the product was dropped by Apple as third-party accessory makers like Wi-Gear began dominating the market. From a strategic business standpoint, acquiring a popular accessory maker isn't necessarily a bad move on Apple's part. And while we don't yet know for certain that Apple made the purchase, chances are we will soon enough.

Gizmodo

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

apple has way 2 much money on their hands

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

iMuffs lol love the name

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Ive been waiting for some really high quality BT headphones/mic/controls for a while now. This is great news as we all know if Apple bought this company the new products that come from this will be really good quality!

No more crappy BT audio headsets!

D

Thanks

Don't these suck down your battery faster?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by definitive View Post
    Ive been waiting for some really high quality BT headphones/mic/controls for a while now. This is great news as we all know if Apple bought this company the new products that come from this will be really good quality!

No more crappy BT audio headsets!

D
    Are you sure about that? Because all Apple accessories are awesome right?

1) Bluetooth headset (sucked, dropped connection, didn't fit)
    2) white earbuds (really suck, and always break)
    3) iPhone 4 bumbper (admittedly nice, but dorky and pointless)
    4) White in-ear headphones (sucks, sounds like you're underwater)
    5) Mighty Mouse (Sucked, scoll "ball" always stuck)
    6) Nike+ Sensor Thing (Sucks, always drops connection)

Need I say more? Apple makes awesome products, but you should know that their "accessories" are just there to complement those products and take your money.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by royalnewjersey View Post
    Are you sure about that? Because all Apple accessories are awesome right?

1) Bluetooth headset (sucked, dropped connection, didn't fit)
    2) white earbuds (really suck, and always break)
    3) iPhone 4 bumbper (admittedly nice, but dorky and pointless)
    4) White in-ear headphones (sucks, sounds like you're underwater)
    5) Mighty Mouse (Sucked, scoll "ball" always stuck)
    6) Nike+ Sensor Thing (Sucks, always drops connection)

Need I say more? Apple makes awesome products, but you should know that their "accessories" are just there to complement those products and take your money.
    Perhaps this is why they would acquire an experienced, quality accessory firm? Just a thought! I agree though the mighty mouse did suck but the magic mouse is great! As far as the included ear bud/mic/control button I'd say they're pretty damn good for an included accessory! What were you expecting, $100 skull candy? Anyhow this could be another great acquisition if they utilize it properly though somehow I get the feeling that there's more to this than meets the eye. Why would apple buy an entire company just to make BT headphones, they certainly either already have the engineering talent in house or could easily recruit it at a much lower cost and likely put out a high quality product! There's something a little fishy about this one...

h2a
    Thanks

these iMuffs only work with iPad for one week of the month.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to h2a For This Useful Post:

crankz1 (11-10-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I dont usually post on news threads but I felt extremely obligated to point out that apple could be sued for this type of business practice.

For those less informed...it somewhat goes against many antitrust acts (not sure all the ways it violates them) in the sense that it is buying up companies so it can obtain more market power.

i.e. less companies offering competeing products that are similar or identical thus shrinking that market. This advantage gives apple the ability to charge whatever the market demands.

Some people may say "well whats wrong with that...". A lot of things.

1. Less competition means, for the general public like you and me, we get screwed over on what these items cost while apple makes them for .50 cents we pay way more.

2. Apple may or may not be doing this to expand their business. However, I think they are buying up these small companies who have HUGE potential to rock apples world and shutting them down because they are afraid of the competition. This is just one example of how apple has bought a company and shut it down.

I dont remember the online music service that apple bought then shut down soon after. Why would they do that? Is'nt that service beneficial for those of us who want to pay a small fee to have access to whatever songs we want to hear on the go?

Chances are they shut it down so iTunes can flourish and charged 1.29 for basically every song when 2 years ago every song was .99 cents.

Think people and educate yourself!!

Apple has this huge monstrosity of cash they are sitting on. If they wanted to they could release 3 different types of iPhones or phones that are similar to it with different capabilities and charge different prices so they can get more of the market. That's risky though..so it's easier to buy a company who steals X amount of customers away that apple could potentially get back if that company doesnt exist because there may not be a giant number of business making and selling products that are identical or similar to compete.
    Last edited by JesusFrEAk7; 11-09-2010 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

What are you going on about?

Thanks

great, now I bet they are going to double the price on them.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

bluetooth headset? if apple can make it "revolutionary" than yea what the heck. when I say revolutionary I mean not sucking battery life, losing connection, etc.......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h2a View Post
    these iMuffs only work with iPad for one week of the month.
    lol well done

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Would be nice to see some more Bluetooth headsets on the market
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Thanks

CEO of WiGear: “The rumor is false..."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

The CEO said it has not been bought and is still up for sale.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    The CEO said it has not been bought and is still up for sale.
    I just said that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

I know I just gave a tiny more detail than CEO says rumor false.

“The rumor is false,” Wi-Gear CEO Mark Pundsack said via e-mail in response to an inquiry from Tech Trader Daily. “Wi-Gear and its IP are still available for sale.”
    Source: Update: Apple Did Not Actually Buy Wi-Gear, It Turns Out - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com
    Last edited by Cer0; 11-10-2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by athleticswimmer View Post
    bluetooth headset? if apple can make it "revolutionary" than yea what the heck. when I say revolutionary I mean not sucking battery life, losing connection, etc.......
    good luck with that one. lol