+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone May Bump BlackBerry at Bank of America and Citigroup

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default iPhone May Bump BlackBerry at Bank of America and Citigroup

When it comes to checking corporate email, employees at Bank of America and Citigroup have long used RIM BlackBerry devices. But that may soon change, according to Bloomberg. It seems the two super-banks are actively exploring the prospect of replacing the BlackBerry with iPhones for their team-members. The reason for the switch? The report alludes to both banks currently testing the security of new software that may be helpful in corporate messaging on the popular Apple smartphone.

"The tests are the latest sign that RIM may be losing its tight grip on the corporate smartphone market," the Bloomberg article notes, pointing to Bank of America and Citigroup as just two examples of large companies looking beyond the BlackBerry to meet contemporary business needs. It's a sentiment with which Roger Entner, head of telecom research at Nielsen Co., agrees. “People are delighted with their iPhones and Android phones and they want to use them for work,” Entner says.

While in years past many believed that the BlackBerry would retain its once-significant grasp on the business community because of its corporate-friendliness, it now appears that those in the business world are looking for the same qualities that the rest of us look for in a smartphone - ease of use, convenience, and how much fun we can have. If these three categories continue to grow in popularity within the corporate world, Bank of America and Citigroup may represent the beginning of a tidal wave of major corporations to abandon the BlackBerry for the iPhone.

Bloomberg

iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

iPhone started as an "fun" phone. Now it's both fun and work!
    ----------------------—
    I ment that in a good way =)

Thanks

RIM fell down down down into the burning ring of fire. It went down down down and the iPhone went higher...
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

4. The Following User Says Thank You to whereswaldo For This Useful Post:

stlcaddie (11-06-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    RIM fell down down down into the burning ring of fire. It went down down down and the iPhone went higher...
    Haha. Funny =D. My friend had a BlackBerry and he traded it for Pantech Link. Hmm... he said the Link is way better. But I'll be sticking with my iPhone 4! Well that's until iPhone 5 comes out. Haha

Thanks
    Thanked 3,873 Times in 2,212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    Couldn't of said it better myself.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

i had a blackberry curbe before my iphone 2g and i will never go back. The blackberry was a good phone, but my iphone does so much more and is better at it! Never again.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I like android better to be honest.. I've had blackberry and I hated it, then I had the Samsung Captivate and in my personal opinion, its kicks iPhone's butt, but I have iPhone 4 after all because it retains its value so I can sell it and get the latest one without spending a penny, unlike any other smartphone

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Shouldn't the banks work instead of play with phones nd have fun? Lmao games on Blackberry's are not fun. Imagine the lines in the banks if they get iphones.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Blackberry's going down anyway..people are finding out there's more to do with a phone then check email.

Thanks

nobody I know who has switched from BB is interested in going back. but Apple does need to do some things to make calendar management (specifically calendar invitations with outlook) better.

Thanks

I replaced my blackberry for an iPhone the day it came out. Why would I go back from being able change everything on my iPhone to a blackberry where I can barely change my background?
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

Thanks

I use blackberry for work, the integration with Microsoft outlook and contacts is seamless and fluid. My iPhone 4 is for personal, while my iPad is both. Pin messaging remains the safest way to communicate and blackberry messenger is something native ios SMS ain't got **** on the group messaging!

Thanks

Blackberry was good in it's day, but it has fallen by the way side!

Also these banks gonna used that bailout money to buy iPhone 4's???
    Last edited by Nickaroni22; 11-06-2010 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Ha...ha....ha....ha...ha...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Another step towards world domination.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I doubt this will happen unless verizon picks up the iPhone. AT&T is horrible with high rise buiding in the city.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Were taking over

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post
    Shouldn't the banks work instead of play with phones nd have fun? Lmao games on Blackberry's are not fun. Imagine the lines in the banks if they get iphones.
    nothing would get done because they'll be playing angry bird. Then we'll have to bail them out again
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I think it will take a while. You have to understand the requirements for a phone in this environment.
    1. The phone needs to be locked down to prevent users installing apps.
    2. Firmware and apps must be centrally distributed and maintained.
    3. Emails and Cal must sync with central servers. Think in terms of Notes or exchange.
    4. All emails sent or received must be recorded and archived.
    5. Any modification like jb must either be impossible or result in device immediate disconnect from corporate network or remote wipe and update.
    A corporate phone in a financial environment is not a toy. It is also an exposure for the bank. It took Blackberry a long time to prove their capability in these areas and apple will take a while as well.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dq13 View Post
    I like android better to be honest.. I've had blackberry and I hated it, then I had the Samsung Captivate and in my personal opinion, its kicks iPhone's butt, but I have iPhone 4 after all because it retains its value so I can sell it and get the latest one without spending a penny, unlike any other smartphone

My friend has an android it looks really hi-tech with the widget and backgrounds and stuff...but seriously thats all about a droid can do (look good) while the iphone, oh the iphone has many apps for sooo many fricken things I bet In a few years were gonna be able to even flush the toilet with our iphones, all im saying in my opinion is that the droid has some function and is usefull for a lot of things and looks way kooler than the iphone but the iphone has sooo much usefullness that the word usefull doesnt quite say it. its all about function, os, easy-ness, and dont forget compatibility!!! plus apps apps is the only reason the iphone is alive.