+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Light Peak Instead of USB 3 on 2011 Macs?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
It not gonna work...Everyone is used to USB...there are too many devices using USB....
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It not gonna work...Everyone is used to USB...there are too many devices using USB....

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

So basically this would be good for major companies that have to move large amounts of data around and can afford the hardware upgrades to actually be able to use it. For the rest of us Joe Schmoes it will be USB3 whether steve likes it or not.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pachi1972 View Post
    Yeah, 2.0. But USB 3 uses way different chords. I haven't even seen anything that actually comes with a USB three cable. Light Peak sounds far superior anyway. But I'm probably never getting a Mac, anyway, too expensive. Hope the best tech wins!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Yeah, 2.0. But USB 3 uses way different chords. I haven't even seen anything that actually comes with a USB three cable. Light Peak sounds far superior anyway. But I'm probably never getting a Mac, anyway, too expensive. Hope the best tech wins!
    Here is some go info to clarify info about 3.0.
    Everything You Need to Know About USB 3.0, Plus First Spliced Cable Photos | Maximum PC

USB3.0 will be backwards compatible with USB 2.0 connections but won't be able to take advantage of the newer specs. For that the fast bus connector is needed.

iomega and western digital already have usb 3.0 drives available.

PC motherboards are already coming with usb3.0 on board and there are a number of pci cards available.

both may have their place for instance light-peak internal and usb 3 external

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bruinsrme For This Useful Post:

wirehedd (11-07-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bruinsrme View Post
    Like the display port?
    But wasn't that puely an apple thing this will be avalable for any manufacture to use. I think this will demolish USB in 5 years every one always wants faster I just think the name is a bit lame lol

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manickbarry View Post
    If apple backs it then it will do well.
    this how i feel, steve does seem to support things that are taking off. Even removing this froms macs that he thinks are outdated

the speeds for this are crazy.

I also agree with another post that usb 2.0 needs an upgrade, spped needs to increase with the size of hard drives now and formats being worked with
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Copper wire is so last week - look at broadband networks.
    With 100m cable runs, commerce will be all over it like a cheap suit - to say nothing of video networking your house from a single machine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to iPhoneThereforeIAm For This Useful Post:

manickbarry (11-07-2010)

Thanks

I have no doubt that Steve Jobs would be more than happy to leapfrog the industry past USB3.0 and go straight to Light Peak as he has a known knack for going to whichever tech standard is poised to be the best standard for the products he plans to introduce. How many remember when the Mac dropped the floppy? I remember some of my coworkers going nuts because all of a sudden the graphics dept machines were no longer able to use FDDs and they all had a moment of that "A-HA!" when they realized that they could use those newfangled thumbdrive thingies or rewritable opticals instead. More storage space and faster too.

It would just make sense to go to light peak and bypass a standard they would have to implement sooner than later anyway.

Makes sense to me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bruinsrme View Post
    Here is some go info to clarify info about 3.0.
    Everything You Need to Know About USB 3.0, Plus First Spliced Cable Photos | Maximum PC

USB3.0 will be backwards compatible with USB 2.0 connections but won't be able to take advantage of the newer specs. For that the fast bus connector is needed.

iomega and western digital already have usb 3.0 drives available.

PC motherboards are already coming with usb3.0 on board and there are a number of pci cards available.

both may have their place for instance light-peak internal and usb 3 external
    Thanks for posting the link, I was just getting ready to do the same.
    Last edited by wirehedd; 11-07-2010 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

personally, I'm just going with the fastest speeds.....

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Light Peak is a dumb name, yes...

Who says Universal Serial Bus? Nobody. Everyone says USB. So Light Peak will become "LP cable," or "LP device."

Not much fails on naming scheme, in the tech world, it has to be inferior or prohibitively costly to fail. Maybe Blu-Ray is the exception, lol.

With speeds like that; corporations, gamers, and A/V enthusiasts will MAKE "LP" the winning standard.

Besides, someone ALWAYS makes an adaptor, so compatibility with old devices is less of an issue. Think of LP replacing SATA, HDMI, Ethernet, USB, FireWire, etc... Only one type of cable for EVERYTHING! Beautiful!
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

Thanks

Never mind if hard drives or any other current devices will be able to "handle" the high speeds. Anything that will be faster than SSD's, and even PCI-e flash, which is faster than any solid state SATA drive, I welcome with open arms.

Add to that the fact that everything will go through a single cable! No more proprietary standards like FireWire and HDMI, and no more complicated and costly mini-DisPlayport-to-HDMI adapters and FW800-to-FW400 scenarios, just to name a few examples, will also make designs more efficient and smaller where desirable and larger but thinner if it's some crazy 89" HD-3DTV that weighs 30lbs.

This will be a fun decade for tech. Another one!
    (2011) Mac mini Core i5-2520M 2.5GHz-3.2GHz (Turbo Boost) | 8GB DDR3 RAM | AMD Radeon HD 6630M | 27" LED Cinema Display | 6TB GRAID | 3TB Time Capsule 4th gen | iPhone 4 | iPad 2 | Apple TV 2nd gen. | Magic Trackpad | I surrender...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Think of the possibilities.
    The day will come when houses are built with integral LP networks.
    Your house will become a PC/Mac distributed across the whole building.
    I can see displays starting to get very mobile - just hang it in whatever room you're in and you're good to go.
    Then you could go for a permanent, maybe refrigerated/water-cooled, installation running at silly overclocks to power the whole family's IT needs.
    No more Wifi issues, no more USB cable-length issues, just remote, silent (music-makers will be creaming in their proverbials), bad-*****, distributed computing with a bank of LP ports next to every power outlet.
    This is just the beginning, for I have seen the future ... and it's fibrous.
    Last edited by iPhoneThereforeIAm; 11-09-2010 at 03:30 AM.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12