+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia & iOS 4.2 Compatibility: Progress Report

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I am upgrading to 4.2 on my iPad weather theirs a jailbreak or not just because of (a good) multitasking and folders. But chwpn told me that their would be
    iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

I am upgrading to 4.2 on my iPad weather theirs a jailbreak or not just because of (a good) multitasking and folders. But chwpn told me that their would be a jailbreak at launch but it might be therthered.

He also said that iconoclasm would be on iPad. Yay!
    Last edited by McMichael96; 11-06-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. The Following User Says Thank You to McMichael96 For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (11-08-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Setting Up Again...No
    Quote Originally Posted by 5h4d0w View Post
    Thanks for the replies, that makes perfect sense .

I'm still debating on whether or not to update to 4.2, I really want to, but I also don't want to, because I would have to set up everything...AGAIN.
    I recently upgraded from 4.0 to 4.1 and I did not have to setup again. You should install PKGBACKUP because it backs up all of your stuff. Then when you need to upgrade and/or jailbreak, once you have Cydia on your phone, you can Restore your Apps.

Then pick your themes and your phone is like it was before.
    Last edited by thevmax; 11-06-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Thanks

Nice. I hope jailbreak for ios 4.2 will be quicker than ios 4.1

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SRPrentice View Post
    Having a different text tone for each contact can be done with BiteSMS. It's free as long as you don't mind ads. Plus, BiteSMS is infinitely better than the stock SMS app.

True that bitesms is fcking awsome =]

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5h4d0w View Post
    So, does this mean Cydia will support multitasking soon? I hate how if I hit the home button by mistake or Cydia crashes, I have to wait for it to reload again...
    I agree, this does get annoying. Hopefully there is a major update for Cydia, one that also fixes a common error where ModMyi doesn't load properly.

? Is there a Cydia development website ?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zphone View Post
    I have my iPad on 4.2 for a couple days now and i love the folders! For me i hate that they removed the screen orientation lock function next to the volume buttons. Now its a mute/unmute switch! I have to double press the home button to lock/unlock the screen rotation

I'll have to wait for the 4.2 jailbreak/unlock before i update my 4 to 4.2
    I read about this change. I dont see why they would change it. You can practically mute the iPad by just accidentally holding the volume down too long. I do it all the time. I wish they would of fixed the delay on that instead.

Hopefully there will be a cydia fix to allow that button to be mapped back to rotate lock.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I really hope that it is not tethered. I will upgrade due to all the native goodies in 4.2 and just wait for the jailbdreak, which I believe will not be far off!!!!

Thanks

i have updateded my ipad to 4.2 GM and this works great !!!

i wait quietly until the jailbreak comes..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
    I recently upgraded from 4.0 to 4.1 and I did not have to setup again. You should install PKGBACKUP because it backs up all of your stuff. Then when you need to upgrade and/or jailbreak, once you have Cydia on your phone, you can Restore your Apps.

Then pick your themes and your phone is like it was before.
    That's such a rip. Pay $5 for something that was offered free with Rock. Seriously, if you're going to eliminate something and become a monopoly, at least try to get the best features it offered. Chpwn already said Cydia's not getting package backup capabilities with this upgrade.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    That's such a rip. Pay $5 for something that was offered free with Rock. Seriously, if you're going to eliminate something and become a monopoly, at least try to get the best features it offered. Chpwn already said Cydia's not getting package backup capabilities with this upgrade.
    I should hope not.
    All that sort of stuff takes time to develop.
    To be honest, I'd like to see Cydia still in its current form, but running on 4.2, since that'd ensure the quickest release.
    I mean, if the iPad already had 4.1 or something, then by all means go right ahead and take a year to fix Cydia. People wouldn't need 4.2.
    But since 4.2 is the iPad's first taste of functionality it should've had since the very beginning, a quick release should be a higher priority than a release packed with new features.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I thought limera1n was a permanent jailbreak so we need a new jailbreak for 4.2 ???

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrespopeye25 View Post
    I thought limera1n was a permanent jailbreak so we need a new jailbreak for 4.2 ???
    It is. Just not the untethered part I believe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrespopeye25 View Post
    Yes, this jailbreaks the device, but is still tethered. Comex is responsible for the recent userland hacks that allow for untethered in-the-field rebooting.

For me, greenpois0n was super unstable and unreliable, so here's hoping the REAL implementation of it works better, if they burn it this time around.
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Im diffidently going to upgrade my ipad to 4.2 cuz I need folders, and categories is to slow when it opens?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickhesson View Post
    Cydia will probably never support multi-tasking due to the fact that some things need to be respringed, or restarted in order to make sure your phone doesn't brick itself.

It is possible some sort of multitasking may be incorporated, like when you are browsing, but only Chpwn and Saurik will know those answers.
    Respringed? Or resprung?

iPhone? More like MyPhone MJedi's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TylerC161 View Post
    I read about this change. I dont see why they would change it. You can practically mute the iPad by just accidentally holding the volume down too long. I do it all the time. I wish they would of fixed the delay on that instead.

Hopefully there will be a cydia fix to allow that button to be mapped back to rotate lock.
    I don't like this change either, and I also hope someone makes a Cydia app to revert this function back since it's just a software change.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi when will the cydia update be realesed, I'm using iphone4 4.1 cheers Paul .

iPhone? More like MyPhone mattoligy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Irishpaul View Post
    Hi when will the cydia update be realesed, I'm using iphone4 4.1 cheers Paul .
    Probably when the jailbreak is released!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tashawn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by l0k0 View Post
    Yup that too......and we get a cool new baseband to go along with it.

The baseband is the coolest of the upgrades. Apple claims the new baseband will make ur battery life better? WTF, i have no clue.
    Wow!!! OMG I'm willing to give up my unlock for that.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tashawn For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (11-11-2010), unklbyl (11-15-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If you have a 3G iPhone it will be worth it because it will make apps run smoother and a little quicker. Mostly though it'll help with any lag that you may have. I'm looking forward to it!
    Last edited by Jfdomega; 11-12-2010 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost