+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Flash Halves New MacBook Air Battery Life: Tests

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Are you that ******* lazy that you can't loom it up yourself? It's common knowledge.
    Thanks

Are you that ******* lazy that you can't loom it up yourself? It's common knowledge.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Right now, not having Flash means that a lot of ads and interactive portions simply aren't there. What happens when all the same websites convert to HTML5? Who's to say that the richness of HTML ads and content utilized at the same level will not similarly drain the battery? That would be the true test.

Thanks

HTMl5 doesn't have as large if a battery drain. I'll give you a link to a bunch or awesome interactive html5 things later.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hypertripo View Post
    I never said I loved Flash or that it's awesome. I'm just saying that everyone says we don't need flash and that it's crap.

If it is crap, I will totally agree with you if there is some proofs, benchmarks, test, etc, but saying flash takes more power than not having flash is just plain dumb.

The thing is that Apple seems to protect itself from not really supporting flash by saying it's power hungry, crap and not needed.

But i'm pretty sure everyone here has flash installed and it will be like that until we get a decent alternative that is accepted EVERYWHERE. Because now there is some flash over here, some html5 over there.
    Um...... the story, dude, has um, guess what. Battery life test with flash and without on macbook air. Isn't that a test? Or isn't it what you'd like to hear? My cpu % stats are exactly as recorded. Doesn't that count? This graph may help.
    http://docs.google.com/File?id=dc2hxh8z_305n7dc9whh_b

Here is a blog by a developer who writes code, knows code and explains the whole abobe flash debate. Good read. http://x264dev.multimedia.cx/archives/292
    Last edited by Tyronal; 11-06-2010 at 02:55 PM.

Thanks

I don't think HTML5 or any of the competing video formats are going to offer particularly better battery life, tbh. not from what I've seen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hypertripo View Post
    I never said I loved Flash or that it's awesome. I'm just saying that everyone says we don't need flash and that it's crap.

If it is crap, I will totally agree with you if there is some proofs, benchmarks, test, etc, but saying flash takes more power than not having flash is just plain dumb.

The thing is that Apple seems to protect itself from not really supporting flash by saying it's power hungry, crap and not needed.

But i'm pretty sure everyone here has flash installed and it will be like that until we get a decent alternative that is accepted EVERYWHERE. Because now there is some flash over here, some html5 over there.
    flash uses a **** load of cpu. Are you really that dumb that you don't realize that?

Twitter: @tshoults

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    flash uses a **** load of cpu. Are you really that dumb that you don't realize that?
    I do realize that but we are still stuck with alot of flash content on the internet, and that is why we still need flash.

Even if it's crap and it uses alot of ressources we still need it like i said before.

Thanks

we don't "need" flash. there are only a few real reasons to use flash. YouTube and hulu. I am in the html5 beta on youtube so no flash there and with hulu, I hardly watch hulu anymore because of the 80-100% cpu usage (out of 400%). The rest is crappy ads, which is exactly why I use adblock, and then for everything else clicktoflash.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Acciavatti View Post
    they think "the best way for users to always have the most up to date and secure version" is to download it from Adobe.
    Then if thats their way of thinking then why isn't there an option to install it on the iPhone?

It's fine if they don't want it on their device but we do. There should be an option for us to install it or not.

Give us our freedom you b'stards.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Then if thats their way of thinking then why isn't there an option to install it on the iPhone?

It's fine if they don't want it on their device but we do. There should be an option for us to install it or not.

Give us our freedom you b'stards.
    Don't know why you fools keep b!tchin about this. You have freedom. Freedom to buy whatever device you like that DOES have crappy flash on it. Apple have legitimate reasons to not have it, and you have legitimate reason to buy anything else. What's your problem??? Someone holding a gun to your head, Troll?

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    I don't think HTML5 or any of the competing video formats are going to offer particularly better battery life, tbh. not from what I've seen.
    Friend of mine, bought brand new macbook two years ago. Watches tv shack videos all the time, using flash. Had to replace battery well before its expected life span. Battery had less than 100 cycles but its now dead. Apple support told her using flash constantly will fry the battery ahead of normal use. $120 buck out thanks to flash. *clap clap clap* good job adobe, good job. ANYTHING else has to be better than this.
    Last edited by Tyronal; 11-06-2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    Oh is it now commmon knowledge? Then why won't you stand for Apple, for Steve? To prove his point? You can't go in a courtroom and say HE IS GUILTY. You have to provide evidence. So show me the evidence, or maybe there is no evidence. Maybe just apple made up this ridiculous test?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mardinn View Post
    Oh is it now commmon knowledge? Then why won't you stand for Apple, for Steve? To prove his point? You can't go in a courtroom and say HE IS GUILTY. You have to provide evidence. So show me the evidence, or maybe there is no evidence. Maybe just apple made up this ridiculous test?
    I think the images speak for themselves:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flash Halves New MacBook Air Battery Life: Tests-epic-fail-flash.jpg   Flash Halves New MacBook Air Battery Life: Tests-html5-win.jpg  

Thanks

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This whole debate always seems to go in wrong directions.

This isn't a Mac VS PC issue, it's an Adobe Flash VS HTML5 (which is also being pushed very heavily by MS on IE9.)

Flash is only necessary if you want to view a lot of interactive content, which I'm assuming most of us do. HTML 5 seems to perform better, but the limited usage of it thus far prevents us from removing the flash plugin from our computers.

I guarantee that if there was a PC equivalent to the MBA, you would see identical results on battery life while surfing the web. Flash hogs resources, there's no denying that.

If you were to NOT surf the web, your battery life would probably be identical. So it's not whether you install Flash, but whether you USE Flash.

IMHO: This is the real reason why Apple doesn't load Flash at the factory. Everyone knows that those estimates are only valid when using the device under original installs, settings, etc... Try getting 11 hours after installing some games and playing them, it won't happen, period.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CynicalDriver For This Useful Post:

Tyronal (11-08-2010)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    This whole debate always seems to go in wrong directions.

This isn't a Mac VS PC issue, it's an Adobe Flash VS HTML5 (which is also being pushed very heavily by MS on IE9.)

Flash is only necessary if you want to view a lot of interactive content, which I'm assuming most of us do. HTML 5 seems to perform better, but the limited usage of it thus far prevents us from removing the flash plugin from our computers.

I guarantee that if there was a PC equivalent to the MBA, you would see identical results on battery life while surfing the web. Flash hogs resources, there's no denying that.

If you were to NOT surf the web, your battery life would probably be identical. So it's not whether you install Flash, but whether you USE Flash.

IMHO: This is the real reason why Apple doesn't load Flash at the factory. Everyone knows that those estimates are only valid when using the device under original installs, settings, etc... Try getting 11 hours after installing some games and playing them, it won't happen, period.
    One of the most intelligent responses to this subject i have read in some time. No emotion, pure fact. Thank you.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mofolo's Avatar
    Thanks

See Picture:

Are we Really comparing APPLEs To APPLEs here?

The "Flash Test" are running 3 windows apposed to just one in the 'Light' browsing test.

How do we know...
    Does Light browsing also constitute "about:blank" as the URL?

Sure, if there are 3 Windows (not tabs... thus Different Processes) - it'd be chewing through; theoretically.. three times as much battery life.

So really - the fact that it's only halving battery life goes to show that Flash is pretty battery friendly.

Trollololololo.

Go cry to Steve b*
    tches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flash Halves New MacBook Air Battery Life: Tests-untitled-1.jpg  
    myRepoSpace.com - Easily create your own Cydia Repo.

Thanks

seriously people? are you that stupid that you really can't figure out some common sense stuff? Anything that needs a more powerful graphics draw will take more batter than 3 (about:blank) windows. think going to gizmodo and reading one article at a time. That's "light" web browsing

Green Apple
    Thanks

we would all like more batter, as we all enjoy our morning waffles

20. The Following User Says Thank You to kenpura For This Useful Post:

moon#pie (11-08-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Where does 11 hours come from? I don't know anyone who gets at much :P

Anyways Flash is not going anywhere. It's easy to develop on and more people use it. And above all, everyone owns a PC and uses Flash. I mean honestly why is there this massive pull for HTML5? I honestly am not seeing how it's this amazing thing. How about rather than creating alternates, we all band together to improve the standard? Just me though.
    If you don't like flash, then don't use it I guess. :]

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mudrock1000 View Post
    Where does 11 hours come from? I don't know anyone who gets at much :P

Anyways Flash is not going anywhere. It's easy to develop on and more people use it. And above all, everyone owns a PC and uses Flash. I mean honestly why is there this massive pull for HTML5? I honestly am not seeing how it's this amazing thing. How about rather than creating alternates, we all band together to improve the standard? Just me though.
    If you don't like flash, then don't use it I guess. :]
    HTML5 is being pushed because you get virtually identical results, yet save tremendous amounts of resources.

Have you ever played Farmville? It's great at first, but once you've upgraded your farm two or three times it starts to run choppy. There's no reason for such a simple game to run so slow. Eventually the thing that drives people away from it has nothing to do with the game itself, rather it's the performance of the game in Flash. Unfortunately, there is no real great way to make a game like FV in HTML5, at least not that I am aware of.

HTML5 is also not controlled by Adobe, who charges massive amounts of money for the authoring software needed to properly work with Flash. Anyone can choose to take the time to learn HTML5, and if they own a computer, they can get the software they need for free legally; Safari or IE9-Beta, and a basic text editor.

The biggest bonus of all? You won't need to have a plugin "updater" running in the background, nagging you about Flash Player 23.3.76.89672.

Is HTML5 going to kill Flash? NO! It will however, allow people to code video/audio playback and dynamic interactive websites without killing your battery/processing power.

Flash still owns web-based games, and will continue to do so for some time. It would just be nice if basic browsing took fewer resources.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.