+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Flash Halves New MacBook Air Battery Life: Tests

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
this is a problem with flash, although flash has a ton of room for improvement. It's a problem with Apple's incompatable OS and their hardware. Why is it that this
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

this is a problem with flash, although flash has a ton of room for improvement. It's a problem with Apple's incompatable OS and their hardware. Why is it that this doesn't happen with PCs?

Apple blaming flash for its crapiness (although it is kind crappy) is just a way for it to avoid its own problems

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesChirac View Post
    this is a problem with flash, although flash has a ton of room for improvement. It's a problem with Apple's incompatable OS and their hardware. Why is it that this doesn't happen with PCs?

Apple blaming flash for its crapiness (although it is kind crappy) is just a way for it to avoid its own problems
    Um dude, fanboy, whatever. Ask a linux user what they think of flash. We run the same hardware as pc users, same processors same everything and guess what? It's a dog. Don't turn this into an anti apple hate fest, adobe flash is crap, 15 year old technology and a hugh security hole in your firewall. Flash is only optimised for windows, period, the rest get to suck adobe eggs. Now tell me whos fault it is again???????
    Last edited by Tyronal; 11-05-2010 at 03:25 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesChirac View Post

it's the way Adobe writes their code. Do research before you play the part of an annoying windows fanboi.

Twitter: @tshoults

Green Apple
    Thanks

OK so flash is not great but lets try and do a fair comparison and visit the site where there is HTML5 content instead.
    Not really rocket science that showing an animation is going to take up much mcuh much more CPU than a static picture. I could have told you that without even touching a Macbook Air

Also remember - once flash dies (not that I think it will for a long time) then all those ads etc will be coded in HTML5 like the rest of the page and it will just be much harder to disable as you won't have the ability to not install the plugin.

Thanks

Jesus another stupid story to mock flash. Yes like the other guy said how come this does not happen to windows? And don't tell me that it's the way they write the code. Give me a link where it says that's the fault.

Thanks

Years ago adobe decided that they were going to write their programs in one language and then crappily port them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to moon#pie For This Useful Post:

Tyronal (11-06-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mardinn View Post
    Jesus another stupid story to mock flash. Yes like the other guy said how come this does not happen to windows? And don't tell me that it's the way they write the code. Give me a link where it says that's the fault.
    Do you really need a link to tell you what's already obvious?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrducati For This Useful Post:

moon#pie (11-05-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrducati View Post
    Do you really need a link to tell you what's already obvious?
    What is obvious? Nothing is obvious. Give me a link. Evidence or it's a simple lie.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mardinn View Post
    What is obvious? Nothing is obvious. Give me a link. Evidence or it's a simple lie.
    I don't think you know much about computers and coding.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

Keep it a clean debate. Just a heads up.

Thanks

We are. want to play a round of L4D2, Cer0?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    Years ago adobe decided that they were going to write their programs in one language and then crappily port them.
    Seriously. Of course they were going to code for Windows...it is a Windows world we live in. Apple's crappy port of iTunes is far worse than Flash. Adobe has many great products on the market. They are leaders in their fields. Flash sucks, I agree. For some strange reason people like it and it isn't going away.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by braddahjosh View Post
    Flash sucks
    Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using ModMyi
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Seriously. Of course they were going to code for Windows...it is a Windows world we live in. Apple's crappy port of iTunes is far worse than Flash. Adobe has many great products on the market. They are leaders in their fields. Flash sucks, I agree. For some strange reason people like it and it isn't going away.
    save for that fact that more photoshop graphic artist prefer macs. I'm not saying all of adobe's products suck, but flash is just horrible for mac.

With hardware acceleration in flash, 80% CPU on hulu, average.

Thanks

save for that fact that more photoshop graphic artist prefer macs. I'm not saying all of adobe's products suck, but flash is just horrible for mac.

With hardware acceleration in flash, 80% CPU on hulu, average.
    Flash is horrible for everyone. I personally avoid it. Surely this isn't a surprise that Flash would effect battery life. It is a no brainer. A page that has generic html vs a page that is actually doing something will win every time. Jobs wants to have a format running on the iPhone that preserves battery life as much as possible since the battery is its biggest weakness. So it has to be that way for Mac boxes too...otherwise he couldn't tout such long runtimes on laptop batteries.

How is Photoshop on a Mac? Is it buggy and choppy with moments of freezing? This is what I deal with every time I want to sync my phone.

Thanks

Yep, yep it is. You know what, apple could have just decided to not make itunes for windows and force anyone who wanted an iphone to buy a mac. (it would have been incredibly stupid though) I've never had problems with itunes on my fam's dell. I don't know what you are talking about.

Thanks

I am running a powerful windows box and iTunes is very laggy. I can render 3D images that perform better than iTunes, but this is about flash. They should release it on the iPhone so people can have their fill.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tyronal View Post
    Fanboy, much?

Flash is garbage. Accept it and move on, those with half a brain have.

The way flash encodes and decodes inside the browser is 15 year old technology. It fundamentally hasn't change in all that time. "And now it's time for something completely different".

If you run a windows machine you are the lucky ones as it has always been adobes policy to optimise flash for windows and screw the rest. As a linux user we've been treated like dogs by adobe so has osx users. They don't deserve any respect.

FYI Youtube vid using flash, cpu 33-35%. Same vid html5, cpu 11-14%. You tell me Einstein.

I never said I loved Flash or that it's awesome. I'm just saying that everyone says we don't need flash and that it's crap.

If it is crap, I will totally agree with you if there is some proofs, benchmarks, test, etc, but saying flash takes more power than not having flash is just plain dumb.

The thing is that Apple seems to protect itself from not really supporting flash by saying it's power hungry, crap and not needed.

But i'm pretty sure everyone here has flash installed and it will be like that until we get a decent alternative that is accepted EVERYWHERE. Because now there is some flash over here, some html5 over there.

Thanks

I have flash installed on my MBP. I also have click to flash installed.

Thanks

I don't think you know much about computers and coding.
    If you know more than me, then show it to me. Show me that Adobe writes it's code for Mac in a way which it halves the battery life.