+ Reply
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "iBricks:" iPhone 3G User Sues Apple Over iOS 4.0

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by twentythreemx 3g might be 3 years old... but my gf just bought hers new last year... it'd be different if it was a 3 yr old phone
    ADF
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twentythreemx View Post
    3g might be 3 years old... but my gf just bought hers new last year... it'd be different if it was a 3 yr old phone not being sold.. that'd be like buying a beat up phone off ebay and complaining its not working well..
    Yeah that's good and all, but that was last year. 4.0 wasn't out at that time. Since Apple started pushing iOS4 updates they completely stop selling the 3G "new". Remember?
    This message was K1NG approved.

Thanks

Apple had the fix all along to speed up the 3g the whole time that they put in 4.1 but this article is damn right that they purposely slowed it down to boost sales. Theres actually an underclock plist apple has set in order to help battery life and the interval for underclocking is significantly higher on ios 4 for 3g.

Check out iOverclocker in the MMi source in Cydia and it disables the plist at the cost of shorter battery. Works pretty good too but not as good as ibnyaffas supercharged (:

This is the reason why battery life on the 3g on 4.1 is shorter than 4.0

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Thats like telling somebody they cant buy a car that is 3 years old. People are obviously missing the point here. People are still entitled to buying and using whatever phone they want.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Toytotag
    I should of thought of doing this. I'm just too lazy to go through all the legal hassles. I can attest that the woman in San Diego is 100% correct in her assessment. Since I installed iOS 4 on my 3G, the phone goes into a re-boot almost daily and is slow as hell; one step up from a brick. Installing 4.1 hasn't made it any better either. Therefore, I'm hesitant to buy an iPhone 4, because I don't want to fall into the "it's a new Apple product. Follow the light..." trap.

Thanks

I think the suit makes sense to me. There's no way the *didn't know* that iOS4 on the 3G was as slow as it was. There's just no way. They're too thorough with their testing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to adrian1480 For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (11-04-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

This stupid chic is suing for $5000?! This is why the civil courts are so screwed-up. Morons like her cluttering the system with frivolous lawsuits. She didn't do any personal research on the iOS4 performance, so now it's Apples fault? Her iPhone still operates, so even if it's slower it's no grounds to sue. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    Thats like telling somebody they cant buy a car that is 3 years old. People are obviously missing the point here. People are still entitled to buying and using whatever phone they want.
    But you don't sue the car dealership after you get home and realize the newest engine doesn't fit and just because you installed it assume it should make that old-*** car like new. iOS4 wasn't designed for the 3G.
    Last edited by ronfin44; 11-04-2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
    Your an ignorant moron!
    fail

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ADF View Post
    You all have to be kidding me? The 3G is three years old. Get a new phone already!
    Exact same thing i was thinking. Time moves forward and so does tech. The phone is 3 years old, im pretty sure your contract is up for upgrade already

People were getting upset when Jobs mentioned about certain iOS features missing in 3G version of the phone, even though he stated hardware isnt going to deliver the "experience" intended.

Next lawsuit is going to be for people who have 5 year old PCs trying to play Crysis at full blast... mehhh

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronfin44 View Post
    iOS4 wasn't designed for the 3G.
    EXACTLY the point. If a customer has a 3G that needs fixing, the Genius Bar's first response is to update. Well that's great, but now the 3G phone is running iOS4, which wasn't designed for the 3G...

I don't think that the person deserves $5000, but that's not the big picture. Think of how much $5000 is compared to the profit Apple made from making people switch from buggy 3G iPhones running iOS4 to 4G that run it normally.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Apple should have never allowed 4.0 to be installed on the iPhone 3G. Technically the iPhone 2G and 3G have the exact same processor so if you know the 2G is gonna suck so bad you stop supporting it then they should have dropped support for the 3G too.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

cpkirkley (11-06-2010), dsg (11-04-2010), hypertripo (11-04-2010), MiSTRFiNGA (11-05-2010), mortopher (11-04-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I have to disagree with comments like "buy a new phone" - you kiddies need to move out of your parents basements and see how it is when you have mortgage, car payments and feeding basement dwellers that have the latest electronics (haha).

very simply, I paid for the device, met my contract obligation and should be able to use that device any way I like from there forward. I agree that apple should not have further obligation than the warranty period to support or supply new versions of the iOS... but to entice and then load a version of iOS that is going to turn that device into a paperweight is VERY Wrong - I hope they get their asses kicked and I for one will not be buying any further ipod and itouches and iphones for my son because of this practice (if enough people took the same stance, this would self correct but unfortunately there are good products and there are many lemmings).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jmanng For This Useful Post:

lepetitmort84 (11-04-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    This stupid chic is suing for $5000?! This is why the civil courts are so screwed-up. Morons like her cluttering the system with frivolous lawsuits. She didn't do any personal research on the iOS4 performance, so now it's Apples fault? Her iPhone still operates, so even if it's slower it's no grounds to sue. *sigh*

But you don't sue the car dealership after you get home and realize the newest engine doesn't fit and just because you installed it assume it should make that old-*** car like new. iOS4 wasn't designed for the 3G.

No, but that dealer didnt FORCE you to put that new engine in. You could replace it with an identical engine that will run like new again!!!!

How would you feel if you bought a brand new car from a dealer with a v8 in it.. took it home and the dealer called and said they need it back and "forced" you to put a 4 cylinder motor in it.

Now your new car runs like a turd. How would you like that?

Same thing. My gf went to talk to someone that should have known IOS4 on the 3g was a mess, they told her to do it, she did it, now she cant go back and its a pile of crap. Her fault? no. Apple/ATT fault - yes.

Thanks

No, but that dealer didnt FORCE you to put that new engine in. You could replace it with an identical engine that will run like new again!!!!

How would you feel if you bought a brand new car from a dealer with a v8 in it.. took it home and the dealer called and said they need it back and "forced" you to put a 4 cylinder motor in it.

Now your new car runs like a turd. How would you like that?

Same thing. My gf went to talk to someone that should have known IOS4 on the 3g was a mess, they told her to do it, she did it, now she cant go back and its a pile of crap. Her fault? no. Apple/ATT fault - yes.

You make ZERO sense. A cell phone isn't meant to last forever. Apple makes it pretty clear they're not supporting older OS's, yet you still want your gf's old 3G to work great on an iOS not designed for it. If it runs slower then go get a new phone, and get a better analogy while you're out.
    Your an ignorant moron!
    fail

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    How's this for a better analogy... you take your 3 year old car that is no longer under warranty in for a general recall, while you're in for the free recall, the apple car company decides to insert some extra code into the carputer - now from here-on-forward, you can only get it serviced by the original apple-dealership? so you say no thanks, put back the old carputer... but they say sorry - old carputer no longer available (and not safe for you anyway).

does that work for you? think car companies would get away with it?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    You make ZERO sense. A cell phone isn't meant to last forever. Apple makes it pretty clear they're not supporting older OS's, yet you still want your gf's old 3G to work great on an iOS not designed for it. If it runs slower then go get a new phone, and get a better analogy while you're out.
    How does that not make sense? I'm not saying they should redesign IOS4 to run on the 3G any better. I'm arguing that they should make it just as easy to downgrade to 3.x just as easily as it was to upgrade and screw up the phone. An ATT employee suggested it. If she would have came home and talked to me first, I wouldn't have told her to do that.

I agree that 3g is old hardware, and that it is not Apple nor ATT's responsibility to make new software run on it well. However, I strongly believe ATT should either offer a way to make that 3G usable again, or offer the iphone4 at the 199 price. If they did that, I would have no problem and she would be on a 4.

OR they should have better communication to their uneducated employees that should have NEVER recommended iOS 4 on a 3g.

So back to your crappy analogy, if the dealer told you "buy this $1000 engine and go home and install it, it will work great" and it does not..... then you wouldn't feel that dealer owed you something (a refund on the engine obviously)?

I dont think she should get 5 grand from it, but she (and everyone else with a 3G) deserves something to aid the situation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmanng View Post
    How's this for a better analogy... you take your 3 year old car that is no longer under warranty in for a general recall, while you're in for the free recall, the apple car company decides to insert some extra code into the carputer - now from here-on-forward, you can only get it serviced by the original apple-dealership? so you say no thanks, put back the old carputer... but they say sorry - old carputer no longer available (and not safe for you anyway).

does that work for you? think car companies would get away with it?

Here's a better one. You take your car to get fixed and the mechanic says "Hey guy, they don't even make this car anymore but if you want me to fix it I'll have to install a part that will work, but may or may not be great for your vehicle." It's either install the new part and get that old hunk of crap to work, or BUY A NEW CAR! Idiots.

How does that not make sense? I'm not saying they should redesign IOS4 to run on the 3G any better. I'm arguing that they should make it just as easy to downgrade to 3.x just as easily as it was to upgrade and screw up the phone. An ATT employee suggested it. If she would have came home and talked to me first, I wouldn't have told her to do that.

I agree that 3g is old hardware, and that it is not Apple nor ATT's responsibility to make new software run on it well. However, I strongly believe ATT should either offer a way to make that 3G usable again, or offer the iphone4 at the 199 price. If they did that, I would have no problem and she would be on a 4.

OR they should have better communication to their uneducated employees that should have NEVER recommended iOS 4 on a 3g.

So back to your crappy analogy, if the dealer told you "buy this $1000 engine and go home and install it, it will work great" and it does not..... then you wouldn't feel that dealer owed you something (a refund on the engine obviously)?

I dont think she should get 5 grand from it, but she (and everyone else with a 3G) deserves something to aid the situation.
    Explain WHY they should make it easy or even allow the user to downgrade if they're no longer supporting those old OS's? You're acting as if you're entitled to be allowed to do so.
    Last edited by ronfin44; 11-04-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Your an ignorant moron!
    fail

iPhone? More like MyPhone Rinnycoop121's Avatar
    Thanks

guys not everybody knows the consequences up updating your phone.

some people think they are getting a better more stable IOS, believe me i have a bunch of friends, and for some reason they are all afraid of jail-breaking their phones, afraid in may break or something.

i could never get a strait answer from them about it (THEY JUST DON'T KNOW).

but all my buddies that have AT&T service have upgraded as soon as new IOS's are released, they think they are getting a better phone when they do upgrade.

It actually pissed me off when i got my I4 i was on stock 4.0.2 and wanted to trade with one of my friends with a lower IOS so that i can jailbreak and unlock, but all of them had upgraded their phones to 4.1 already, so my Iphone stood on my desk as an itouch for about 2 month

so when people say they were forced, they we not literally forced they are just not in to jail-breaking no interest at all, and the updates they all thought they were getting a better IOS.

That is what i believe this persons problem is.

it's not about jail-breaking it's about telling the consumer you get all these great options now if you update, so they do and once updated they phone runs like crap do you remember the 3g on 4.0.2 very sluggish now they are stuck with that.

just my $0.02

P.S. i got my 9 year old son a 3G for his birthday which was only last month, he has a phone for about 3 days till he upgraded now he is stuck with an itouch, his baseband is updated to 5.09 and i forgot the firmware but ultrasnow does not support it.

so yes people can upgrade by mistake also, my little kid had no idea he was supposed to hit no when itunes asked him to upgrade, he was unlocked on the tmobile kids for free plan, now he is stuck with no phone.
    Last edited by Rinnycoop121; 11-04-2010 at 11:04 AM.
    .................................................. .................................................. ...Don't forget the hit the Thanks Button

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    you're too funny man - that's not what apple is saying... and they're preventing the mechanic from putting back the right part, are they not?

iPhone? More like MyPhone KBI2113's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    To bad it's always sue about money... Why not sue for a new iPhone or your money back. It's always about money.
    If they sue for money and win, they can buy 1,000 iPhone 4's! or 100 iPhone 5's when they come out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmanng View Post
    you're too funny man - that's not what apple is saying... and they're preventing the mechanic from putting back the right part, are they not?

They're not "preventing" the mechanic from putting back the right part. They're telling you the part isn't made anymore. (ie they're not supporting it).
    Your an ignorant moron!
    fail

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Here's a better one. You take your car to get fixed and the mechanic says "Hey guy, they don't even make this car anymore but if you want me to fix it I'll have to install a part that will work, but may or may not be great for your vehicle." It's either install the new part and get that old hunk of crap to work, or BUY A NEW CAR! Idiots.

Explain WHY they should make it easy or even allow the user to downgrade if they're no longer supporting those old OS's? You're acting as if you're entitled to be allowed to do so.

Like the poster above said in a way, many people were NOT told that it "may or may not be great" for the phone. In my personal example, my gf was told it would FIX her problems. All it did was make it way worse!!!

So agian, with another one of your stupid analogies, if you take your car somewhere and they tell you "it might make it worse"... chances are whatever you just replaced, could be taken out and put the original back in IF YOU CHOSE TO.

Apple is not allowing you to do that.

Just... go away.