Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Skyfire Developer Pulls Own App for Being Too Successful

Default Skyfire Developer Pulls Own App for Being Too Successful

Flash on iOS devices has been a hotly debated topic ever since the iPhone was first introduced three years ago. Apple and Adobe have not been able to resolve their differences during this time and there seems to be no end in sight. There is hope, however, and it lies with a new WebKit app called Skyfire. It’s not a perfect solution to flash on the iPhone, but it does give people access to a large number of Flash videos on the web. Unfortunately, Skyfire removed the app voluntarily soon after it was introduced.

The first five hours of Skyfire’s initial release went quite well. Enthusiasm for the app was so great that it overwhelmed their server’s capacity to deliver video at a reasonable rate. In just five hours, Skyfire became the top grossing app and the third highest paid app overall. This is quite an impressive feat, to say the least.

In the past, there have been many eagerly anticipated apps. When Skyfire launched with Apple’s blessing, there was no way for the company to know just how popular their app would become. “The user experience was performing well for the first few hours, but as the surge continued, the peak load on our servers and bandwidth caused the video experience to degrade,” said Robert on the Skyfire website.

I was fortunate enough to download Skyfire while it was still available and I can say that I was impressed with its ease of use and video quality. It was great being able to watch an episode of The Daily Show on my iPhone instead of having to go to my computer. Later in the day, I thought I’d watch something else on a different website, but was greeted with this message when I opened the app:

I have not been able to watch any Flash videos since this morning when I first bought the app. On the Skyfire website, the company says it is working to increase its capacity to meet demand. Hopefully they generated enough income to purchase a few more servers and will get them up and running quickly. With so many iOS users clamoring for more video content on their portable devices, I hope the company can resolve all of its technical issues and get the app back in the App Store quickly.

Skyfire was pulled not for violation of terms, but because it was just too popular. This is an unprecedented event in the history of the App Store. Flash may be on its way out, according to Apple, but if the success of this app is any indication, Flash will be with us a while longer. Now, if Hulu would just get on board and not lock everyone out of their site that uses an iPhone, I would be very happy indeed.

Source: Skyfire

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

BIllypang (11-04-2010), reaves205 (11-04-2010)

Can't wait till it's up and running again

perma-banned for life
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,050 Times in 3,590 Posts

so we cant use it anymore?

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

^^for now no u cannot use it it says it down. read

perma-banned for life
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,050 Times in 3,590 Posts

well the reason why im questioning it is because i just opened and loaded an episode of south park fine

Quote Originally Posted by ArDottCeeDuble View Post
    well the reason why im questioning it is because i just opened and loaded an episode of south park fine
    Seems to be hit-or-miss at the moment...
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

Green Apple
    Thanks
    This is an amazing app.
    There's been apps that load (OFFLINE) flv videos, but still has choppy framerates n horrible interface
    this apps filled with IMPORTANT basic feature.
    The framerates and Quality is AMAZING. considering it has to:
    1. LOAD the video off of the original
    2. Send The video to skyfire server
    3. Convert
    4. Let us retrieve the video....
    that's just simply amazing
    THE EXTRAORDINARY thing is I was able to load videos with 1 BAR on 3G network.

working just fine for me, ive watched a few episodes from comedycentral.com

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Incredible, at least people are being understanding of the issue. Just means that when they get back up and running, should work better than before. I see great updates in the future.
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Thanks

how to get rich quick: make app for playing flash video on iphone
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008

Wow, I guess apple should really reconsider blocking flash on iOS devices. Hell, I don't care if it uses up battery, memory, whatever. I want a CHOICE! Thank goodness Skyfire is giving that to us (over 3 years overdue).

Anyways, can't wait to try it myself

Looks like the next update of 360 web browsers gonna be the only ways to see some flash vids.
    http://modmyi.com/forums/native-ipho...-new-post.html

I was not impressed with the app since it failed to play any of the videos I tried, but at least the devs had the decency of stopping sales when realized they werent able to deliver.

it doesnt play megavideo, divxvideo any of the premium online streaming sites....We need a native flash app on safari ASAP...Jobs, dumb arse, ru listening?

Wow, this is surprising. I checked it out when it was still up but decided I was gonna buy it later, any idea of when it's going back up?
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks
    I was looking forward to installing this app today, but it looks like it's not going to happen for awhile now.
    Last edited by soulthoughts; 11-04-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Spam in post

Thanks
    Thanked 3,198 Times in 1,370 Posts

I'm not a fan yet. It still makes u click a separate window to play video instead of auto-play like regular Internet. Plus video decoding takes FOREVER! Also, try it on the MMI homepage... you can't load any of the other YouTube videos except for the first one.

Frash mimics the real internet better than Skyfires Flash player. Hopefully it will get better but I doubt it since it's built on the concept of separate-window Video play.

Just my opinion.....

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    I'm not a fan yet. It still makes u click a separate window to play video instead of auto-play like regular Internet. Plus video decoding takes FOREVER! Also, try it on the MMI homepage... you can't load any of the other YouTube videos except for the first one.

Frash mimics the real internet better than Skyfires Flash player. Hopefully it will get better but I doubt it since it's built on the concept of separate-window Video play.

Just my opinion.....
    Well it does that because there can be alot of flash content on a particular website. I Use that setting myself on my nexus. If you had a clusterfuck of flash content going, then your phone would die out pretty fast I think

However there should be a feature for that. Not gonna lie.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mudrock1000 For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (11-04-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

GD! I really wanted that app! I hope they get more servers so it can work...

Quote Originally Posted by mudrock1000 View Post
    Well it does that because there can be alot of flash content on a particular website. I Use that setting myself on my nexus. If you had a clusterfuck of flash content going, then your phone would die out pretty fast I think

However there should be a feature for that. Not gonna lie.
    haaha, you my good man know what you are talking about!
    Last edited by coolguy742; 11-04-2010 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Works awesome!!! Finnally I can stream God.tv and Ihop.org!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast