+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: 95 of Every 100 Tablets Sold is an iPad

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8-nKo2hqlg]YouTube - Apple ad - iPad is Electric[/ame] Apple has solidified its early lead in the tablet sales war, increasing its market share in tablet computers to an overwhelming 95%,
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Union Square, Somerville, Mass.
    Posts
    919
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 995 Times in 401 Posts

    Default 95 of Every 100 Tablets Sold is an iPad
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8-nKo2hqlg]YouTube - Apple ad - iPad is Electric[/ame]


    Apple has solidified its early lead in the tablet sales war, increasing its market share in tablet computers to an overwhelming 95%, according to new sales data from market research firm Strategy Analytics. "The tablet wars are up and running," said Neil Mawston, Director of Strategy Analytics. Apple is protecting its early lead with a new ad touting the iPad as "full-size" as compared to the current crop of challengers that all have 7-inch screens.

    Overall sales of tablet computers shot up 26% over the last quarter for a total of 4.4 million sold, Strategy Analytics found. 4.19 million of those were iPads, making up 95.5% of the total. At the same time, the number of tablets running the Android operating system went from 2.9 percent to 2.3 percent: an increase in total numbers but a decrease in shares. Android and Blackberry tablets "are trailing in Apple's wake and they already have much ground to make up," Marston said in a statement announcing the results. While several manufacturers - including Samsung, HTC, Motorola and Dell - are coming out with Android tablets in the coming weeks and months, Apple just expanded its distribution channels to include AT&T and Verizon retail outlets as well as chains like Target, Best Buy and Wal-Mart. Additionally, the challengers have a high hurdle to overcome in terms of marketing: few consumers seem to have any interest at all in alternatives to the iPad.

    ChangeWave surveyed 3,108 consumers during October and found that one in four of them (26%) say they plan on purchasing a tablet in the future, with four out of five (80%) of those saying they'll buy an iPad. Research In Motion's forthcoming PlayBook was a very distant second at 8%, followed by the Samsung Galaxy Tab at 3% and the HP Slate with 2%. Consumers appear to be turning in increasing numbers to tablets instead of netbooks: only 14% of those who plan on buying a laptop in the next 90 days say it will be a netbook: a decline of 10 percentage points since the high-water mark in June of 2009.

    Source: MacRumors

  2. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    248
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 26 Times in 18 Posts

    First someone will have to come out with a decent tablet. Then more importantly they will put a commercial on about every 8 seconds telling everyone how magical it is. That's the real key to success. Flashy words.

  3. #3
    iPhoneaholic zoso10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    470
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 36 Times in 31 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by 1shuttle1 View Post
    First someone will have to come out with a decent tablet. Then more importantly they will put a commercial on about every 8 seconds telling everyone how magical it is. That's the real key to success. Flashy words.
    And for some reason I always thought market share and products people actually want and find useful were the keys to success in the business world...

  4. #4
    iPhoneaholic adrian1480's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    436
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 55 Times in 38 Posts

    A sign of how slow to the punch the competition continues to be.

    Then again, it took Apple damn near a decade to develop the mindshare and market share that iTunes Store/iPod brought to them, and that one piece (iTunes/App Store) is the essential piece that others can't just go out and copy. You can create a nice UI...a nice device..a true competitor, hardware-wise...but you can't grow a software ecosystem in a day. Until some other OS has a similar quantity of software to choose from compatible with multiple devices (or until Microsoft makes a lightweight OS designed for a tablet), Apple will continue to own the market. Android could be a threat, but I'm not quite sure the 3rd party software will come through.

  5. #5
    Retired Moderator StealthBravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    TX  Follow me @StealthBravo
    Posts
    32,478
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    A sign of how slow to the punch the competition continues to be.

    Then again, it took Apple damn near a decade to develop the mindshare and market share that iTunes Store/iPod brought to them, and that one piece (iTunes/App Store) is the essential piece that others can't just go out and copy. You can create a nice UI...a nice device..a true competitor, hardware-wise...but you can't grow a software ecosystem in a day. Until some other OS has a similar quantity of software to choose from compatible with multiple devices (or until Microsoft makes a lightweight OS designed for a tablet), Apple will continue to own the market. Android could be a threat, but I'm not quite sure the 3rd party software will come through.
    My thoughts exactly. It also keeps people locked into the iOS ecosystem because of the money invested in apps

  6. #6
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    168
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts

    Sooner or later the ipad will fall behind in sales to other os on tablets for the mere fct of overpopulation. Apple will always have it's fanboys buyin the stuff but when thirty new android devices pop up per month like what happened with cell phones they will have a good bit of the marketshare albeit across different devices and different companies, Sony samsung hp. How long do people reallistically think the insane dominance will last? I say this time next year apple will still be in the lead but numbers will be closer to say iPhone v droid v rim and the others.

  7. #7
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    406
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 35 Times in 23 Posts

    It also helps that the iPad has been out LONG before other tablet devices and I'd be willing to bet they are counting total devices sold since the iPad came out. Those numbers would be flawed.

  8. #8
    Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,582
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked 111 Times in 94 Posts

    After owning an iPhone 4 and looking at the iPad screen, it puts me off as I can see pixels. Can't go back to a normal screen after seeing the Retina Display. I'm holding out for an iPad 2 or I'll wait for the official Android 3.0 OS for tablets. The Samsung Galaxy Tab is awesome.

  9. #9
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    719
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts

    Ok, this is the second commercial that apple has made with the knight/sword/fighting game. Anyone know what is it called and when will it be available?

    Oh yeah I love my iPad, and will probably buy Gen 2 if it has forward and rear facing cameras with retina display and give the original to my wife. And I'm not a fan boy I just enjoy their products.

  10. #10
    Go Giants whereswaldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,382
    Thanks
    187
    Thanked 359 Times in 257 Posts

    either they're not counting the Kindle, or litterally no one buys it
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

  11. #11
    Livin the iPhone Life ajl917's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,934
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 275 Times in 211 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    either they're not counting the Kindle, or litterally no one buys it
    From what I saw, that wasnt counted. They used the iPad, RIM Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Tab, HP Slate, Archos Tablet, Dell Streak, and Sony Dash...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  12. #12
    iPhoneaholic zoso10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    470
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 36 Times in 31 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    either they're not counting the Kindle, or litterally no one buys it
    The Kindle isn't considered a tablet computer so they didn't use those numbers.

  13. #13
    Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,582
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked 111 Times in 94 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ajl917 View Post
    From what I saw, that wasnt counted. They used the iPad, RIM Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Tab, HP Slate, Archos Tablet, Dell Streak, and Sony Dash...
    Sony Dash isn't a tablet. It's a beefed up alarm clock. Samsung Galaxy Tab is probably the 2nd best tablet.

  14. #14
    Retired Moderator StealthBravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    TX  Follow me @StealthBravo
    Posts
    32,478
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

    Cant wait for retina display on iPad, going to be awesome

  15. #15
    Retired Moderator Dash-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,080
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 222 Times in 184 Posts

    This is kinda like saying 95% of electric sports cars sold are Tesla's..

  16. #16
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    i honelsty dont like the ipad its basically a computer with an apple ipod OS

  17. #17
    Go Wings Zokunei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,481
    Thanks
    206
    Thanked 501 Times in 398 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ripped53 View Post
    Ok, this is the second commercial that apple has made with the knight/sword/fighting game. Anyone know what is it called and when will it be available?
    It's project name (I'm not sure if they were trying to say project or final?) is Project Sword. It's developed by Epic Games. Currently their only app is a graphics demo of the sword game, Epic Citadel. They say final is coming out "this holiday season" (meaning either just before Thanksgiving or Christmas, I guess.). So every few days starting a couple weeks from now you can search Epic Games in the App Store. The one not titled Epic Citadel should be it. I'm sure this site will post when it does, anyway. The demo's release even got posted. It'll be the best game for iOS when it releases. Be sure to get Epic Citadel today, though!

    Source: iOS 4.1 keynote.. event… thing

  18. #18
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    148
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 19 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Aliquippakid View Post
    Sooner or later the ipad will fall behind in sales to other os on tablets for the mere fct of overpopulation. Apple will always have it's fanboys buyin the stuff but when thirty new android devices pop up per month like what happened with cell phones they will have a good bit of the marketshare albeit across different devices and different companies, Sony samsung hp. How long do people reallistically think the insane dominance will last? I say this time next year apple will still be in the lead but numbers will be closer to say iPhone v droid v rim and the others.
    Yeah, kind of like what happened with the iPod. Remember how it only lead market share for about a year or so? Wait a minute... I don't think that's how it went, did it? The iPad will lead the market a whole lot longer than you think. Until the Android market is fully embraced by developers and can effectively compete with the App Store, the iPad will continue to have a healthy lead. Just my prediction.

  19. #19
    My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    835
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 48 Times in 44 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ripped53 View Post
    Ok, this is the second commercial that apple has made with the knight/sword/fighting game. Anyone know what is it called and when will it be available?

    Oh yeah I love my iPad, and will probably buy Gen 2 if it has forward and rear facing cameras with retina display and give the original to my wife. And I'm not a fan boy I just enjoy their products.
    i think that on the apple site it has a list of apps that are in the commercials
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

  20. #20
    Super Moderator Cer0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    MN/WI
    Posts
    14,005
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

    Yea the Apple website links to the apps that are used in commercials.



    Hmmm now I can't find the links to it.
    Last edited by Cer0; 11-02-2010 at 08:09 PM.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts