Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No Daylight Savings Fix This Year?

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default No Daylight Savings Fix This Year?

An iOS 4.1 bug that causes alarms to be one hour off after the "Summer" or "Daylight Savings" time switch hit European users this weekend. The same bug affected New Zealand and Australian iOS users last month, as those countries went on Daylight Savings for the austral summer. At the time, Apple Australia indicated that the bug fix would be released soon, but it appears that we'll be waiting for iOS 4.2 in November... after the entire world has changed its clocks.

Specifically, the bug affects alarms set using the iOS 4.1 Clock app: recurring alarms set to repeat for anything other than "every day" will fail to make the shift between summer and regular time. For New Zealand (which made the shift to Daylight Savings Time on September 27) and most of Australia (which followed on October 3), this was a nuisance for people who use their iDevices as alarm clocks, as they were awakened an hour early. For users in the Northern Hemisphere, whose clocks "Fall back" in autumn, this means that alarms will be an hour late, which is potentially a more serious problem.

Apple has indicated that it's aware of the problem and has a fix in the queue, but it's surprising that they chose not to get the patch out for the millions of iPhone users in Europe, and it'll even more surprising if they are waiting until after the many more millions of US users set their clocks back. It's still possible that we'll see an interim release to fix the alarm bug and the lockscreen issue this week, but anyone in the US who relies on their iPhone to wake them up should have a backup in place next Monday.

Source: MacRumors

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Since the time change occurs on a Saturday night (technically Sunday morning), couldn't you just delete and recreate all your repeating alarms on Sunday and not have to worry about it?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default this happen to me too
    this happen to me too on sunday morning, i had my alarm set for 6am to get up for work next thing you know i looked at the time and it was 5am i was like wtf! i live in the states so is not just over there that its happen to...

Most 3rd party alarm apps aren't affected by this, just the native Clock app.

That said, it isn't that hard to just add/remove an hour from your alarms until it's fixed.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Maybe i'm just having a stupid moment, but how did this happen?

I had my iPhone alarm set for 10am, the time change (in Ireland anywho) happened around 2am, I noticed my Macbook & iPhone change back an hour automatically as I was still up at that time. My iPhone alarm went off at 10am like it was supposed to....am I missing something?

Thanks

So this doesn't apply to one-time alarms? I wake up at different times each day as I work random shifts, so my alarms are constantly changing.

Green Apple
    Thanks

That's funny as all my alarms were 1 hr off all weekend and I live in California.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Funked's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm from the UK and I started back to college after a week off for Halloween. I set my alarm for 6:30, but today it went off at 7:30 lol. Lucky enough I woke magically around 7 which was just enough time for me to get ready. Now I have the alarm set for 5:30 so that it actually works!

iPad 2 16GB Wifi iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe
    iPhone 4S 16GB iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe

iPhone? More like MyPhone whsnnnd's Avatar
    Thanks

I am in the US Army in Germany and was an hour late getting up this am because of this. That miscue cost me 10 miles on the bike this afternoon. Apple = FAIL on this one. Steve Jobs, that person outside throwing eggs at your house is me. LMAO

Green Apple
    Thanks

This def affected me also I had my alarm set for 6:30 AM CST and it went off at 5:30 am CST it cost me a half hour of sleep trying to figure out wtf had happened. = ANGRY!! At least I know i'm not the only one I was about to restore my idevice.

3GS on 4.1

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nkgneto For This Useful Post:

sjkkjs (11-04-2010)

My alarms went off an hour early this morning too (Alaska). The time on the phone was (4:20), the time in the alarm app was (5:20). My wifes however did not have this problem. Took a while to figure out what was going on. Weird!

This is why I use an alarm app, and not the built in alarm. No worries that way!

my alarm woke me up an hour early and i started freaking out thinking my clocks were all messed up. nothing better then being half asleep and trying to make sense of the situation

iPhone 4 on 4.1, my scheduled alarm that should go off at 7.15am went off at 8.15 am today (UK) - fortunately for me I don't get to sleep past 6am at present because mini me wakes me to feed him - but you would be peeved if this coding cock up made you late for work. And what sort of sense can be made of alarms going off an hour early in the US when they haven't even had a time change yet!

Does doing a hard reboot do anything to solve the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Funked View Post
    I'm from the UK and I started back to college after a week off for Halloween. I set my alarm for 6:30, but today it went off at 7:30 lol. Lucky enough I woke magically around 7 which was just enough time for me to get ready. Now I have the alarm set for 5:30 so that it actually works!
    Exactly the same here for me in Liverpool, Luckily a friend called me, I didn't realise until my phone went off on the bus :')

Those effected by this, can you please confirm, if you create a new alarm, does that work fine or the whole alarm app itself is 1 hour off until the next patch?

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Maybe i'm just having a stupid moment, but how did this happen?

I had my iPhone alarm set for 10am, the time change (in Ireland anywho) happened around 2am, I noticed my Macbook & iPhone change back an hour automatically as I was still up at that time. My iPhone alarm went off at 10am like it was supposed to....am I missing something?
    You kinda are, I guess. The devices' calendars are already programmed to account for this, so it fixes the data automagically. Either it sets it to account for the hour when you program it since the alarm is past the change, or it sets all the alarms correctly at the same time it fixes the clock.

The issue is that the time change WAS the last Sunday in Oct but this year has been changed to the first Sunday in Nov. Thus the iPhone set itself back 1 hour for some people. I live in the US and mine did not.

I found a quick easy fix for this for people in the UK.

settings, general, date and time, change timezone to Cupertino, then soft reset.
    iPhone 4 resets back to London timezone automatically and alarm works fine.
    iPhone 3g needs a little help and needs reset back to London timezone manually but works fine after that!

hope this helps folks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast