+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Proves King of Q3

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
On Monday, the latest findings and analysis by Canalys of worldwide smartphone purchases and shipments indicate that the iPhone has had a solid third quarter this year, becoming the best
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default iPhone Proves King of Q3

On Monday, the latest findings and analysis by Canalys of worldwide smartphone purchases and shipments indicate that the iPhone has had a solid third quarter this year, becoming the best selling smartphone on the planet during this period. Although the collective bunch of phones running Android represented a larger market share (43.6%), Apple's lone iPhone captured an impressive 26.2%. The data coincides with Apple's freshly released quarterly earnings statement, in which the company acknowledged selling more than 14 million iPhones.

In the past, Apple has not only duked-it-out in the marketplace with the likes of Android, but they have also quarreled in terms of the "fuzy math" each has provided to boast of units sold, shipped, and now in active use. In October, however, Apple chief Steve Jobs was forced to concede that the iPhone was second to Android in the previous quarter. The latest data, conversely, indicates a swing in favor of Apple's iPhone - at least on a global scale with regard to smartphone sales.

Astoundingly, in Q3 2010, the worldwide smartphone market swelled 95% over the same quarter in 2009 to a staggering 80.9 million shipped units. "With Samsung, HTC, Motorola and Sony Ericsson all delivering large numbers of Android devices, and with focused efforts from many other vendors, such as LG, Huawei and Acer, yielding promising volumes, the platform continues to gather momentum in markets around the world," Canalys Senior Analyst Pete Cunningham stated in the report.

Canalys

Thanks

that's not even a real iPhone in the picture >_<
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008

Thanks

Its not the real King, its an impostor!

But seriously, why is that ipt2 running an iPhone FW?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    Its not the real King, its an impostor!

But seriously, why is that ipt2 running an iPhone FW?
    It's not even an ipod touch its an old fan made concept of a next gen iPhone.
    For **** sakes you mods are amateurs! Why are you trashing my scene!!! Seriously you and me we're done professionally.

Green Apple
    Thanks

[QUOTE=xwinger;5551585]that's not even a real iPhone in the picture >_

Thanks

^^^ say whaaa?
    Circa 2008

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

As Duke Nukem would say - "Hail to the king baby".
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

adp
    Thanks

Someone needs to work on their photoshop (and logic) skills. It's a lot easier to just put a picture of a current iPhone than search for some fake prototype and place a crown designed on MS Paint. Then again, I'm not surprised at all - coming from this author...
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

9. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

mortopher (11-01-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Noticing more and more that the authors of these articles are not only LATE with news, but lazy with their writing, spelling and now even photoshopping. I now only visit this site because the forum is so helpful.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plnkeye21 For This Useful Post:

billchase2 (11-01-2010), mortopher (11-01-2010)

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xwinger View Post
    that's not even a real iPhone in the picture >_<
    TRUE so true where'd you get it from Messany?!?!?!?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

lol i came in this thread because that wasn't a real iPhone, seems like everyone else has the same thoughts as me.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    Someone needs to work on their photoshop (and logic) skills. It's a lot easier to just put a picture of a current iPhone than search for some fake prototype and place a crown designed on MS Paint. Then again, I'm not surprised at all - coming from this author...
    lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

The title of this article should have been: "Android's lead on iPhone increases in Q3".

Seriously, Android is eating up the market share. They passed iPhone in Q1, had an 11-point lead in market share in Q2, and now it's over 17%.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aperry View Post
    The title of this article should have been: "Android's lead on iPhone increases in Q3".

Seriously, Android is eating up the market share. They passed iPhone in Q1, had an 11-point lead in market share in Q2, and now it's over 17%.
    They're entirely different things so it's useless to compare them. One is an OS and the other is a phone.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    They're entirely different things so it's useless to compare them. One is an OS and the other is a phone.
    Not really. The iPhone is not "a" phone. In Q3 Apple sold both the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4, which are entirely different phones only linked by their OS. Different processor, different cameras, different display, different form factor, different materials, different WiFi, different RAM, fifferent motion sensing. Same OS.

The only apples-to-apples data that this article provides is the OS market share, where Android is winning (and by a bigger margin than Q2).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aperry View Post
    Not really. The iPhone is not "a" phone. In Q3 Apple sold both the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4, which are entirely different phones only linked by their OS. Different processor, different cameras, different display, different form factor, different materials, different WiFi, different RAM, fifferent motion sensing. Same OS.

The only apples-to-apples data that this article provides is the OS market share, where Android is winning (and by a bigger margin than Q2).
    wtf do you expect?!?!?!?

there's like 25 phones running android out now, probably even more

vs 2 models of iPhone.

you sir are a genius. (not)
    Circa 2008

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xwinger View Post
    wtf do you expect?!?!?!?

there's like 25 phones running android out now, probably even more

vs 2 models of iPhone.

you sir are a genius. (not)
    Regardless of how many different Android phones there are, the fact remains that each person purchasing one of those Android based phones reduces Apple's market share even more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    Agree, another fail article by Messany.

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    Regardless of how many different Android phones there are, the fact remains that each person purchasing one of those Android based phones reduces Apple's market share even more.
    Sure it has a bigger market share, kinda easy when you're pretty much pumping out a new Android phone every week and practically giving it away. Buy 1, get 1 free?? LOL, you'll never see Apple doing that with the iPhone!!

Bottom line, the iPhone is the real money maker, and that's the phone people REALLY want, but they don't have because they don't want to make the switch to AT&T for one reason or another. Give it another year or so, when LTE is deployed and more widespread, and the exclusivity contract is up in June 2012 (maybe sooner), iPhone will most likely be available on AT&T, T-Mobile, AND Verizon. Apple will then take back a big bite of the market share.

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

You should be fired.
    iLive an iLife

Green Apple
    Thanks

That's the iPhone 5, leaked exclusively to mmi, and soon the cops will be knocking on the door.