Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Patenting Method to Harden Stainless Steel

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Patenting Method to Harden Stainless Steel

Reports that Apple is patenting a process to harden stainless steel has prompted speculation that the company is interested in making cases for future mobile devices out of steel, rather than plastic or glass. The method described in the application involves placing a thin layer of nitride on top of the steel to improve its ability to resist scratches and rust.

The patent, called "Nitriding Stainless Steel for Consumer Electronic Products," talks about the rust-resistant quality of stainless steel: specifically, the addition of chromium to the alloy which permits a thin layer of chromium oxide to form on the surface, inhibiting further rust. Some manufacturers use a titanium nitride coating to add further protection to the steel, but this can cause a yellowish tint. Apple's patent presents a way to preserve the natural color of the steel by using a different nitride. "In addition to providing a durable, hard surface that is both scratch and impact resistant," the patent reads, "the nitride layer allows for the natural surface color and texture of the underlying stainless steel to remain visible to the user." The layer would be just 15 microns thick but would have a Vickers hardness rating of over 1000. Normal stainless steel has a hardness rating of about 150.

Austenitic stainless steel, which is a form of stainless that includes nickel, is useful for mobile devices because it is non-magnetic and does not block RF, WiFi, Bluetooth, or other wireless technologies utilizing electromagnetism. The band around the iPhone 4 is made of this material.

Apple's interest in metal manufacturing techniques is not limited to this process: the company obtained an exclusive license to use the intellectual property of Liquidmetal Technologies to create extremely strong, flexible materials with the pliability of plastic so that they can be formed into a wide variety of shapes.

Source: AppleInsider

Thanks

no more glass breaks just a fat dent...i assume the 1st gen iphone did not use this material...i do love the iphone 4 design ....apple need to get rid of the chrome back on ipod touches
    THANK ME THANK THANK AGAIN..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pacmac For This Useful Post:

pnutx007 (10-30-2010)

Steve is getting the T-1000 ready for deployment. Should be ready about the same time SkyNet goes live. Lol.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to metalmaster420 For This Useful Post:

hitman78 (10-31-2010), Hondamaker (10-30-2010), redwolf (10-30-2010), sziklassy (10-30-2010), The_13th_Plague (10-30-2010)

Lol, too late for iPod touches.

thank god i like the glass back look but i like the comfort i had with my 2g
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

looks like brushed metal instead of the shiny iPod Touch back. Much nicer, more official, and not going to scratch.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

That iPhone in the picture looks cool. Can we buy metal housings for iPhone 4 on the intranetz?

Thanks

Finally! I have no complaints about the glass back that is on there, but i still think that a steel would look much better than plastic or glass, just like the 2G!
    iPhone 4 16GB Jailbroken/Unlocked for T-Mobile USA with all the bells and whistles.

If I helped solve your problem, Press "Thanks!" for me ^^

A similar process to this is used for some equipment I use at work (deep sea diving). I'm very interested to see how this pans out.
    mod edit/link removed.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll be happy to see another predominantly metal iPhone. I love the look of my iPhone 4 but there is simply too much wasted space with the glass front and back. The phone could shave off a couple mm just by replacing the glass back with a thinner yet stronger piece of steel.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to politicalslug For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (10-30-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    That iPhone in the picture looks cool. Can we buy metal housings for iPhone 4 on the intranetz?
    Yeah, you can. There about $15 I thought about it but couldn't justify removing a $170 OEM part for a $15 part made in hong kong. Try eBay & if it's in America it came from Hong Kong.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    Someone posted that case and a link a couple weeks ago... it's around and was like $14.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Someone posted that case and a link a couple weeks ago... it's around and was like $14.
    Yea the website is CNN.cn. Just ordered mine earlier before this thread was up lol

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

WRECK 'EM TECH!!! Twitter Me: Jared_Mataska
    Or Leave a Thanks...

Cool -- '30 times stronger than a helicopter windshield', so it shatters on impact, just like Steve's super glass.

Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    Cool -- '30 times stronger than a helicopter windshield', so it shatters on impact, just like Steve's super glass.
    'Faster than a speeding bullet'
    'More powerful than a locomotive'

Last edited by raduga; 10-30-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by metalmaster420 View Post
    Steve is getting the T-1000 ready for deployment. Should be ready about the same time SkyNet goes live. Lol.
    This
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Instead of a death-grip on a small part of the phone, now you can have it everywhere. yay!

Heavy, looks like.

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Acciavatti View Post

Austenitic stainless steel, which is a form of stainless that includes nickel, is useful for mobile devices because it is non-magnetic and does not block RF, WiFi, Bluetooth, or other wireless technologies utilizing electromagnetism. The band around the iPhone 4 is made of this material.
    Does this strike anyone else as a bad idea? This is the same metal band on the Iphone 4 that causes the death grip due to conductivity, and they want to make a whole phone out of this metal. While it is aesthetically pleasing, it makes one wonder if this would be a practical idea. Or is this new nitride coating suppose to prevent that issue?
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

Are we talkin a bullet shot from a gun or a hand thrown bullet?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast