+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The iPad Goes Corporate

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The iPad is becoming a huge hit with business users, and that's coming as something of a surprise to Apple. With 66% of the Fortune 100 companies using or investigating
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default The iPad Goes Corporate

The iPad is becoming a huge hit with business users, and that's coming as something of a surprise to Apple. With 66% of the Fortune 100 companies using or investigating the iPad, Apple's turning to the huge reseller Ingram Micro for help selling more. Enterprises are encountering challenges with the closed nature of unjailbroken iOS, however.

In the recent conference call with analysts and the press, Steve Jobs touted the success Apple was having selling the iPad to business customers. "We haven't pushed it real hard in business," Jobs said, and it's being grabbed out of our hands." He claimed that the tens of millions of people who already were familiar with iOS through the iPhone means that Apple has a "tiger by the tail." To fully exploit the opportunity, Apple has unleashed Ingram Micro, the world's largest technology distributor, and laid off 50 people in its own sales force. Additionally, Apple is working with the giant system integrator Unisys, which has written apps for the Department of Homeland Security and added iOS device support to its ClearPath family of mainframe servers.

However, enterprise adoption is still limited by the inability of IT organizations to manage apps on iOS. Julie Palen, senior VP of mobile device management at Tangoe, a telecom expense management software and services provider, told Computerworld that "the fact that I can push out apps to the iPad but can't remove them is problematic for the enterprise." As a result, she says, she has to either "lock down iPads by restricting apps on the device to only those that you push-nothing from the App Store-or wipe devices." However, she feels confident that if the iPad becomes popular with business that Apple will have to relent, at least somewhat, on the closed nature of iOS. "When Apple starts to see large volumes of iPads selling into the enterprise," she says, "and these iPads are locked down and users won't be able to buy additional apps, that's when Apple will start making it available for me to manage these apps."

Source: AppleInsider

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaMan05's Avatar
    Thanks

According to Apple executives, over 65 percent of the Fortune 100 are already deploying or trying the iPad, including Procter & Gamble, Lowes, NBC Universal and Hyatt.
    Somehow I doubt that. 65%?!

Ya maybe trying, as in they have one in the office. But deploying? I don't see it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

That 66% applies more toward investigating the use of iPad than actually owning one, and huge majority of that will find iPad useless as a business device.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The existing solution apple has released for enterprise/mass deployment is a good start. It allows for universal profile creation to manage and secure devices, couple that with $99 investment for a dev membership(Which apple could easily include for enterprise customers) would allow businesses to install custom, in-house apps. I think with a little more refinement we'll see the iOS management tools become as useful as those for OS X clients on an enterprise network. I think this early enterprise adoption should be a hint for apple that they need to rethink their entire enterprise business model. If they can deliver for business IT admins with the iPad in terms of manageability, high levels of integration and security with extreme ease of deployment could potentially produce, in this case, what could be categorized as the "iPad halo effect". If they play their cards right we could begin to see Mac servers and clients more in the mainstream as far as enterprise is concerned. On the server end the management tools are already excellent and both client and server play pretty nice in a windows or *nix environment. If they make everything more easily deployable, manageable and integrated with a larger focus on scalability(think clustered servers or blade-centric for easy scaling) and earlier adoption of emerging enterprise technologies, software and standards they may be able to break through their education/creative/niche barrier.

I personally would love to see all of that happen, OS X Server and client are some of the most capable out there. With the large penetration of Linux and solaris in enterprise there is absolutely no reason apple can't position itself to exponentially grow enterprise sales. Funny that this kinda depends on the iPad and actually started with the iPod!

Thanks

Put OS X on the damn thing, and you'd sell a ton more.
    Hmm...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

'Good Technologies' is leading the way when it comes to incorporating iOS devices throughout MS Exchange. Email and Cloud technology looks good to go.. Deploying inhouse apps is another animal to consider. Accepted use of technology and sticking to strict security guide lines is a reality now on iOS devices using 'Good' so it's now a runner for sure..

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

So if 66% of companies "investigated" or "used" an iPad then what does that exactly mean? Someone once googled it on their PC or tried out one at an Apple store during their lunch break? Seems vague.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

"Investigated or used" is actually big wig business guys bringing their devices into work and demanding they use them. So IT depts investigate them because IT depts aren't in total control of what IT services are implemented. Business pay the bills....

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    So if 66% of companies "investigated" or "used" an iPad then what does that exactly mean? Someone once googled it on their PC or tried out one at an Apple store during their lunch break? Seems vague.
    exactly,just another statistic that tries to trick you
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well not really man.. I'm not at all surprised by that stat.. Again business users are bringing them into the office and are getting pulled up by IT account managers "those devices are not approved" business users say "well approve them" so that's where the "investigation" comes in and "tried using them" it's happening and there's a massive demand from high level business users who only need Word editors and fetch email off site.. It might be less than 5% of business users in General but they are the business users that force this type of change.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Wonder how quick a employee would get terminated for jailbreaking their company iPad.

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

My mom's boss at the medical office she works at bought her an iPad and it's currently sitting on her desk doing nothing because she has no idea how to use it, and no use for it if she did. While I have the new iPod touch. Damn.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaMan05 View Post
    Somehow I doubt that. 65%?!

Ya maybe trying, as in they have one in the office. But deploying? I don't see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    That 66% applies more toward investigating the use of iPad than actually owning one, and huge majority of that will find iPad useless as a business device.
    Quote Originally Posted by unlvsac View Post
    Wonder how quick a employee would get terminated for jailbreaking their company iPad.
    [A worldwide network equip manufacturer] has about 60K employees and nearly 20K Macs -- that's a huge jump from the few thousand they had about 3 years ago. iPhones and iPads are seeing quick adoption as well. These are user-facing devices. Servers are another story since that's on the back-end.
    Business ppl are driving this, but so are engineers. IT has adopted a self-support model and it turns out that support costs are dramatically lower than for Windows-based systems for both software and hardware.

The biggest resistance to iPhone adoption has been the lack of a secure environment: they really don't like that it can be jailbroke -- they won't even allow full VPN access. They have the same concerns about the iPad. However, they know that as much as their employees are using it, their customers are using it just as much. As a result, they want to be able to deliver products and services to it.

And, for the record, the same company not specifically mentioned above has internal discussion groups re iphone which includes jail breaking and while they don't encourage it, they do not actively discourage it. I'd say it depends on the corp as to whether or not JB is a problem.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Still do not see use for iPad with limited iOS in a business environment.

iPhone? More like MyPhone skizo's Avatar
    Thanks

Still do not see use for iPad with limited iOS in a business environment.
    Ditto. I wish MMi would quit posting these nonsense "news" stories. They do nothing but degrade the sites legitimacy and integrity. I don't even believe half the article I read on the front page any more. Sad...

Also, I'm a sales rep for UPS and I spend my days visiting customers and potential ones, and I've yet to see an iPad at any of them.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skizo View Post
    Ditto. I wish MMi would quit posting these nonsense "news" stories. They do nothing but degrade the sites legitimacy and integrity. I don't even believe half the article I read on the front page any more. Sad...

Also, I'm a sales rep for UPS and I spend my days visiting customers and potential ones, and I've yet to see an iPad at any of them.
    Well that's your opinion man.. I've seen the demand across 10 companies and again it's for a very small percentage of high level business guys who flirt with the idea of replacing pen and paper, fetching email off site and doc editing while they travel abroad on business."my laptop is too heavy" so they get a lame note from their doctor stating "My back is sore from carrying my laptop abroad" so they get slim line solid state Laptops but still aren't happy with that. They pull in a major amount of cash for the business so they believe they should be able to use them. They are a complete pain and cause IT depts no end of hassle because of it. People are rabbiting on about deploying apps to them. It's bollox!! But it's real! Like it or not it's less than 5% of business users that wants them and they always get what they want.. Recenty some stock broker dude installed Windows 7 on his PC and won't go back to XP! Guess what? He got his wishes..

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Payback07 View Post
    "my laptop is too heavy" so they get a lame note from their doctor stating "My back is sore from carrying my laptop abroad" so they get slim line solid state Laptops but still aren't happy with that.
    If they complain about laptop they will complain about iPad. So I do not see any validity to this argument.

iPhone? More like MyPhone skizo's Avatar
    Thanks

If they complain about laptop they will complain about iPad. So I do not see any validity to this argument.
    That's because there's no validity in it.

No company, and I mean no company in there right mind is going to entertain petty excuses like, "my back hurts from carrying a 6 lb laptop".... a short distance.... in a bag.... with a shoulder strap. Get real. They certainly aren't going out and buying iPad for these idiots either.