+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple to Eliminate the SIM Card?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I thought the entire point behind sim card technology twas to make it easily removable? Originally Posted by madczech In my opinion those days are over where you need a
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought the entire point behind sim card technology twas to make it easily removable?

Quote Originally Posted by madczech View Post
    In my opinion those days are over where you need a sim to copy your contacts... You can pretty much synch every phone with your computer...

btw, kind of a stupid comparison!
    Yes and no. If I was on vacation, had my iPhone screen crack, and wanted to grab a pay as you go phone to swap my sim out and use my contacts, I wouldn't be able to with a change like this. You probably aren't going to sync a crappy flip phone to your computer, assuming you even have it with you. I assume the original poster wasn't worried about tranfering his contacts from iphone to iphone using his sim card... I have never had to do anything like this, but that doesn't mean I can;t see the value in having the ability to.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 10-28-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

How do people on CDMA transfer contacts?

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

as a new unlocker and jailbreaker, having a SIM has been mandatory
    every time I bricked, or broke my iPhone i had to use the cheap flip phone i got for free until i could fix my iPhones or get another
    I've been through a few lol that's what happens when you buy used

Quote Originally Posted by Dash-2 View Post
    How do people on CDMA transfer contacts?
    how do people on CDMA switch to a different phone at a job that bans camera phones?
    Last edited by dale2; 10-28-2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

well if they do that and we have no way to unlock to phone to work on other carriers,well iphone4 would be my last phone from apple.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

There is a cellbright machine tgat transfer contacts from any carrier or phone to another with cables
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tashawn's Avatar
    Thanks

Guess I'm just going to be stuck with the last sim enabled iPhone, or switch to (gurp) AT&T.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

I would not care if it happen. I hate the sim card anyway, but if they keep it I don't care either, about having the sim card to transfer contacts info from one of to another is stupic I have everything back up on my computer and on my mobile account plus on my google account just incare everythin else fails.
    Last edited by DarkDragonAn; 10-28-2010 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks

Lol not ganna happen

iPhone? More like MyPhone mwr_allen's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ruben00 View Post
    Sim cards are still important to me, specially since I travel a lot and need to switch carriers frequently while keeping my iphone

But I think this is actually a very good thing, even for unlockers, just think about it...

Disclamer: This is a photoshop job, dont hound the Dev team or GeoHotz asking about goldra1n or goldSn0w, it doesn't exist, as far as I know it will never exist, I am making goldra1n and goldsn0w up, i have no insight into the dev team workings or geohotz, im just a regular schmo
    I was thinking something very similar, The Dev Team has done so much in the last few years and they will no doubt hack their way through obstacles like this and even tougher tasks in the future.

HAVE FAITH IN THE DEV TEAM!!!!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Has very little to do with contacts alone. I like being able to switch to an android phone quickly to test something, or throw my sim into a gophone while on vacation. I would not own a simless iPhone, and I will not switch to a carrier that doesn't use sims.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

IT sucks,i hope they don't. you're telling me no more unlocking and waiting forver for the unlock. not fun what are we going to look forward to besides jailbreak =( and guess that the new iphone will look like.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by milkycloud View Post
    If this happens... the iPhone is dead
    Might be dead to you, but for the millions of people who have an iPhone that's not unlocked or jail-broken, it's not gonna matter to them at all. Not only that, it'll be touted as a feature and ground breaking technology.

Quote Originally Posted by joliano24 View Post
    I don't think that will happen, Apple will loss them world controller position. and with them antena problem all the time the other will be more stroger in the market. I hope they will be smart not to do it this way.
    You guys need to really stop with the hyperbole. It's not going to make apple lose any of it's market share, and even with the antenna problem, the iPhone 4 sold out quicker than the 3gs, 3g, and original iPhone.

I'd hate to be able to lose my unlock, but realistically, the only people who this would seriously effect are people who travel out of the country a lot who don't want to keep multiple phones.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bootleg's Avatar
    Thanks

well i guess we'll just have to buy full priced iphones from friends and relatives in canada (or other unlocked countries)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't seem like this would be an issue for people who travel a lot, just update your carrier settings when you're in another country and use the same phone.

But even if that's not the way it'd work, like others have said I'm sure the jailbreak community will come up with a solution.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This look more like a method to stop unlockers rather than help cell phone providers.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by westerman View Post
    Because apple as a company is doing it right there not having to out source so much and making products ppl want. We buy them it seems no matter what they come out with because it's top of the line and good quality
    Apple barely makes anything in-house anymore. Just about everything is outsourced these days.

Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    ...I'd hate to be able to lose my unlock, but realistically, the only people who this would seriously effect are people who travel out of the country a lot who don't want to keep multiple phones.
    Really. And if this were to happen, how many carriers do you expect you would see in iTunes when activating your new iPhone? Last I checked, AT&T was the only authorized carrier in the U.S. I would bet that the number of out-of-U.S.-traveling iPhones is not significantly more than unlocked iPhones on other U.S. carriers, if not fewer.
    Last edited by Rokesomesmeefer; 10-28-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Unlockers will just switch to another phone and looking at how there are at least one million unlockers, most likely more (I might be wrong). And many of these unlockers bought their iPhones for non contract price, or from someone who bought it just to sell. So Apple makes alot of money from these guys already. And then you have apps, with over 1million unlockers, they probably make a lot of money from that too (not a majority but a good chunk). So by limiting it this will just cause them to lose a lot more money.

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't China (or somewhere in Asia) been doing this for years?

I remember years and years ago I found a really cool phone in china that I wanted to import, but I couldn't, because it didn't use a sim card. :-(

And anyway, **** em! I really hope they do this, all the unlocking shops around where I live are run by total skumbags!

I'm not against unlocking, it's just my local unlockers are a pack of gimps :-/

Thanks

I don't like that idea at all. ******* apple is making everything harder for everybody

Thanks

Default contacts
    Quote Originally Posted by umkthxbye View Post
    Yeah I will be switching to droid phones too if this ever happens. The Sim card is a life saver for saving contacts onto, makes the whole contact transferring process so easy. This is just Jobs trying to be Hitler with his dictatorship.
    Yo not need save your contacts in the Sim Card, you can save in iTunes in your PC or Mac