+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No White iPhone Until Spring: Apple

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
For the third time since announcing it in June, Apple has pushed back the release of the white iPhone 4, now saying we won't see it until spring 2011. In
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default No White iPhone Until Spring: Apple

For the third time since announcing it in June, Apple has pushed back the release of the white iPhone 4, now saying we won't see it until spring 2011. In an apologetic statement, an Apple spokeswoman continued the official silence about the delays, declining comment. Guesses have ranged from discoloration of the Home button to backlight leakage around the bezel, and a new report out today asserts the issue is light leakage into the device, affecting the camera.

Apple's newly updated Store app includes a screen to reserve both black and white iPhone 4s. This raised some hopes that the long-awaited device might soon make it to store shelves, but attempting to use the app to reserve a white iPhone only produces the message "Because of high demand, we are not currently taking iPhone reservations." The buzz generated by the app may have led Apple to issue an official response. Gabriel Madway at Reuters quoted Apple spokeswoman Trudy Muller as saying "We're sorry to disappoint customers waiting for the white iPhone again," but not offering any reason why the phone has been repeatedly delayed. The white model was first pushed back to a launch in late July when the iPhone 4 was released in June. As July rolled around, Apple waved off the white iPhone to a vague "later this year."

The only story Apple has ever given for the delays is that the white iPhone turned out to be "more challenging to manufacture than expected". One white phone was spotted in New York, with the owner offering the story that a color mismatch between the device's body and Home button caused Apple to reject it. A separate storyline claims that light from the screen's backlight leaks around and through the less opaque white bezel, marring its appearance in low light. Cult of Mac's Leander Kahney put forth a new explanation today: light's not leaking out of the white iPhone 4, but into it. Quoting "a source with connections to Apple who asked to remain anonymous," Kahney claims that light leakage ruins pictures taken with the built-in camera. "You don't get accurate pictures on the white iPhone because of the color of the glass back," the source says. "It washes out the pictures."

Whatever the reason, the wait for a white iPhone 4 will continue well into the beginning of next year, and possibly longer given the track record to date. The fifth-generation iPhone is expected in June 2011, and may arrive sooner than the white fourth-generation iPhone.

Source: AppleInsider
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 10-27-2010 at 07:45 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Dragonx151 (10-27-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Might as well wait for iPhone 5 cuz spring won't be that far from it... Or just get a black one and slap on a white case!

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    Might as well wait for iPhone 5 cuz spring won't be that far from it... Or just get a black one and slap on a white case!
    agreed.

Thanks

HAHAHAHAHAHA

^^^

That's me laughing at everyone who said "I'll wait for the white iPhone 4"

... MOBY ****
    Last edited by xwinger; 10-27-2010 at 08:01 AM.
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I would love to have the white iPhone, but it is a no-brainer to just hold out and get the white 5th gen. The problems could/should be worked out by then.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mwr_allen's Avatar
    Thanks

Makes me think that Apple planned this all along so they could sell the black iPhone 4 until sales go lower than a certain percentage then release the white one to boost more iPhone 4 sales until the newer version is released.

Maybe the white iPhone IS the iPhone 5

It's all part of the master plan. ha ha.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I changed my front and back to a white and I dont have any light/camera issues at all, everything is perfect and looks perfect. If third party OEM companies can make it right, then why can't Apple?

Green Apple
    Thanks

You know you'd think all these big corporate companies would have there **** together, but they really don't! I was gonna sell my black ip4 for a white one now it looks like ill just wait for the 5th gen

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Seriously...that's so stupid. Why the hell would I buy an iPhone 4 in the spring of 2011 when everybody knows by June or July the next iPhone would be expected. Unless they plan on delaying that one too...

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

i saw this yesterday on engadget and just rolled my eyes and decided to give up. ive been waiting for the white one for my wife (i got mine the day it was released). i told her and she said "forget it, ill get the black one too." her old 3G looks like its had its day...

of well.
    Last edited by kadinh; 10-27-2010 at 08:15 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Wait a minute, where exactly did they say spring? All I've read all day is her sayin they're sorry to disappoint us again. Could be that theyre sorry for the mix-up with the apple store app and getting ppls hopes up to soon, holiday season is still little more than a month away..

Thanks
    Well that sucks.

Just buy a black one and but the oem white case from ebay. =)

Thanks

Thats about as stupid as it gets Apple. It will be out in the spring . You would have to be a complete moron to wait for it when the 5th gen would be out a couple months later. 8 more months till iphone 5 , looks like my 3G will have to hold up until then.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mwr_allen View Post
    Makes me think that Apple planned this all along so they could sell the black iPhone 4 until sales go lower than a certain percentage then release the white one to boost more iPhone 4 sales until the newer version is released.

Maybe the white iPhone IS the iPhone 5

It's all part of the master plan. ha ha.
    ...now this guys thinking

Green Apple
    Thanks

I laughed at those who waited for the white iPhone. You'd be stupid to buy it since the iPhone 5 will be out a month after.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    I would love to have the white iPhone, but it is a no-brainer to just hold out and get the white 5th gen. The problems could/should be worked out by then.
    Lol can't believe some people still think they are loads of bugs with the iPhone 4. Seriously, that's the worst excuse to feel better about not having an iPhone 4. You should probably wait till the iPhone 10 because the iPhone 5 will have bugs right?
    Last edited by Christian Bale; 10-27-2010 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    For **** sakes you mods are amateurs! Why are you trashing my scene!!! Seriously you and me we're done professionally.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christian Bale For This Useful Post:

krustypinoy (10-28-2010), Quaddy (10-27-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Bale View Post
    I laughed at those who waited for the white iPhone. You'd be stupid to buy it since the iPhone 5 will be out a month after.

Lol can't believe some people still think they are loads of bugs with the iPhone 4. Seriously, that's the worst excuse to feel better about not having an iPhone 4. You should probably wait till the iPhone 10 because the iPhone 5 will have bugs right?

^^ took the words right from my mouth....AGREED!!!

Thanks

Let me guess… Spring 2011: "The white iPhone will be delayed until June 24th."

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Fail

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Bale View Post

I just want a white one. The only bug my wife's 4 had was the proximity sensor issue and that was fixed with a firmware update.

Apple talks about how the iPhone4 prematurely surfacing after the whole "bar" incident costing them sales of the 3G and 3GS and now they go and shoot themselves in the foot.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    I changed my front and back to a white and I dont have any light/camera issues at all, everything is perfect and looks perfect. If third party OEM companies can make it right, then why can't Apple?
    You are one person. Plenty of people at iPhone 4 launch said they didn't have issues with their phones either. Plenty of others DID have issues. If Apple says there are issues, I would rather they wait instead of repeating what happened at the iPhone original launch...

FWIW I really don't see the iPhone 5 being much of an update at all. Personally I am stumped about what they will add. MAYBE 1080p recording and a better front facing camera? Doubt the processor will get an overhaul just a year into the game. I can almost guarantee they will keep the body the same, or very similar as they did with 3G-3GS. I personally don't think it is worth waiting at all, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    I just want a white one. The only bug my wife's 4 had was the proximity sensor issue and that was fixed with a firmware update.

Apple talks about how the iPhone4 prematurely surfacing after the whole "bar" incident costing them sales of the 3G and 3GS and now they go and shoot themselves in the foot.
    I still find it funny how vain the average Apple product user is (and I am not picking on you, but you do a lot to prove my point). I mean let's face it. It is LITERALLY worth it for you to wait until the next phone comes out just so it can be white. Screw what's under the hood!
    Last edited by sziklassy; 10-27-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings