+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No White iPhone Until Spring: Apple

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Fail!!!!!
    Thanks

Fail!!!!!

Thanks

You can't be so sure that the 5th gen is coming next year. They wouldn't release the white so soon before, atleast not at that $199 price.

In my opinion, if the white iPhone is released in June, they won't release the 5th generation until late 2011, early 2012. They aren't going to risk getting low white iPhone sales by releasing a new generation just after. They aren't that dumb.

formerly known as Method2001 TheGrandFinale2001's Avatar
    Thanks

[sarcastically] Oh how unfortunate. When the white one does something that the black one can't, then this would be news.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The white iPhone will be the iPhone5 and they will tell us that it will change everything again.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to faschierbasis For This Useful Post:

Ivel (10-27-2010)

Thanks

Woah that sucks. It's so far behind they'll have to have another Apple event to remind people what it is.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Am I like the only person that has a white iphone 4 around here? jeez

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

They forgot to say that the white iPhone is the iPhone 5 lol
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I've had my white iPhone 4 now for a few months. I can see why apple doesn't want to release. I bought several kits from different websites, including cnn.cn which I would have to say is the best quality so far, but none have been perfect.

The white frame around the glass is starting to turn yellow on all of them. You probably have to keep in case to prevent this. It looks really nice at first, but now looks dirty. I think I might change it back to black.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Bale View Post
    Lol can't believe some people still think they are loads of bugs with the iPhone 4. Seriously, that's the worst excuse to feel better about not having an iPhone 4. You should probably wait till the iPhone 10 because the iPhone 5 will have bugs right?

I'm quite confident that he was referring to the problems with getting the white coloring and application done correctly, not with the phone itself.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

APRIL?! What is the point then since the next gen iPhone comes out in July? They should call it a wash and just better plan the iPhone 5 for next year in white.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Really? This is that big of an issue?

iPhone
    first phone/iPod hybrid, revolutionary design, google maps with fairly accurate position tracking (despite lack of GPS,) one of the best camera-phones of it's time, most on-board storage of any phone.

A "must have" phone.

iPhone 3G
    Improved: Overall design, more storage, improved processor, speaker-phone speaker, reception (signal goes through plastic easier than metals).
    Added: GPS chip
    Degraded: durability (plastic back vs aluminum, a necessary sacrifice for signal improvement)

Another "Must Have" phone.

iPhone 3GS
    Improved: Processor, storage
    Added: Compass
    Exclusive Firmware addition: video recording

Minor update, can live without if you have i3G. Smart upgrade if you still have i2G

iPhone 4
    Improved: EVERYTHING
    Added: front camera
    Degraded: Durability (again) due to mostly glass shell (making a protective case a requirement for more than just the infamous "death-grip" issue,) reception (overall improvement, but bumper needed to avoid bridging antenna gaps.)

A "Must Have" phone!

iPhone 5
    Probably better storage and processors, maybe a better camera or two, with most other "additions" being iOS features that require jailbreak solutions to unlock on prior devices.

I really doubt that the i5 will be a major upgrade, unless they change the trend. This is with good reason, because cellular contracts are on two year cycles, so there is something new every year, without upsetting people who recently upgraded.

If you're on a 2G or 3G, it's overdue.
    3GS? Hold out and get i5, no sense renewing at an odd time of year for iPhone upgrade cycles.
    i4? Wait for i6, save some money and take advantage of the money AT&T is spending on your phones, they get enough from you.

If color is most important to you, buy aftermarket mods, why not red? Green?
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Apple's excuse to be lazy, they are just going keep the old design and slap on white along with minor improvement and call it the iPhone 5 just like 3G/3GS. They got away with it once, why not give it another try?
    Last edited by xclusiveiphone; 10-27-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    FWIW I really don't see the iPhone 5 being much of an update at all. Personally I am stumped about what they will add. MAYBE 1080p recording and a better front facing camera? Doubt the processor will get an overhaul just a year into the game. I can almost guarantee they will keep the body the same, or very similar as they did with 3G-3GS. I personally don't think it is worth waiting at all, but that's just me.
    Upgrade in size! I was disappointed when, for whatever reason, the storage capacity was still limited at 32gb. I would be ecstatic if they released a 128gb model (pipe dream!), but 64 would certainly be acceptable. As much talk as there is about streaming from the cloud and everything, there are still a ton of places in this country that are only on Edge network and that basically prevents streaming entirely; not to mention highly congested areas like NYC that inhibit fast connections despite having 4 or 5 bars.

They also could include 4G capabilities in the phone, although I think a lot of that would rely on how quickly the carriers, primarily AT&T, can get there new networks up and running. This would be a great improvement, primarily for those of us who still have their unlimited data plans. For people who aren't hardcore bandwidth users (torrents, netflix, appletv, etc.), it could legitimately replace their home internet connection. Granted however, that capability would most likely be a pleasant byproduct that would probably be made possible by the JB community rather than being natively accomplishable.

Other than that, I don't see many features that Apple could add that would be realistic or practical enough for the average user. I would expect most of the improvements to come in the from of hardware/component increases (faster, lighter, and stronger), especially with there recent acquisition of LiquidMetal.

Back on topic...

I am quite disappointed in how Apple has handled the white iPhone issue. If they had been upfront about the issues and given a concrete release date for it, it would have been one thing, but this was obviously not the case. Hell, they could have even came out at some point and announced that there wouldn't be a white model of the iPhone 4 and I'm sure a lot of people that are/were waiting for it's release would go ahead and get a black model.

Quote Originally Posted by CynicalDriver View Post
    i4? Wait for i6, save some money and take advantage of the money AT&T is spending on your phones, they get enough from you.
    Or you can just throw your i4 on eBay; they're still fetching $500-$600 for used models. Then you can just upgrade to the i5 for a minimal cost.
    Last edited by mortopher; 10-27-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    Or you can just throw your i4 on eBay; they're still fetching $500-$600 for used models. Then you can just upgrade to the i5 for a minimal cost.
    That price will drop dramatically once the i5 is announced. If you could manage to get $200 out of an i4, then you could still get the i5 for that plus $200 of your own money. AT&T will usually give you a "reduced" prove after only one year, but thats usually at least $150 more than the "contract price."

So, yes, you could upgrade yearly, IF you can sell the old one for $200+, then spend that plus $200 on a new phone.

I don't sell my old ones, they move to the car as a dedicated iPod there, then to the kids as toys (like my 2G, which is enjoyed by a 6 year old.)

This has the added benefit of giving me a backup in case my current one gets lost/stolen/broke.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    You are one person. Plenty of people at iPhone 4 launch said they didn't have issues with their phones either. Plenty of others DID have issues. If Apple says there are issues, I would rather they wait instead of repeating what happened at the iPhone original launch...

FWIW I really don't see the iPhone 5 being much of an update at all. Personally I am stumped about what they will add. MAYBE 1080p recording and a better front facing camera? Doubt the processor will get an overhaul just a year into the game. I can almost guarantee they will keep the body the same, or very similar as they did with 3G-3GS. I personally don't think it is worth waiting at all, but that's just me.

I still find it funny how vain the average Apple product user is (and I am not picking on you, but you do a lot to prove my point). I mean let's face it. It is LITERALLY worth it for you to wait until the next phone comes out just so it can be white. Screw what's under the hood!
    It has nothing to do with vanity. I choose the color of my car, the color I paint my house, the color of appliances I put in my house so why can't I choose a white iPhone without being vain? It is simply a preference. If it were up to me they would all be silver like the first generation. That would match my vehicle. That would make me vain. /sarcasm

Thanks

That price will drop dramatically once the i5 is announced. If you could manage to get $200 out of an i4, then you could still get the i5 for that plus $200 of your own money. AT&T will usually give you a "reduced" prove after only one year, but thats usually at least $150 more than the "contract price."

So, yes, you could upgrade yearly, IF you can sell the old one for $200+, then spend that plus $200 on a new phone.

I don't sell my old ones, they move to the car as a dedicated iPod there, then to the kids as toys (like my 2G, which is enjoyed by a 6 year old.)

This has the added benefit of giving me a backup in case my current one gets lost/stolen/broke.
    Perhaps you should check eBay more often. iPhone 3G models are regularly fetching upwards of $200 and 3GS models are still going for over $300 each.

I too typically hold onto older models to use as backups and iPods, or I'll just gift them to relatives who are late to the iPhone game. Currently I have an i4, a 3GS, and a 3G in my direct possession and I don't see a need to hold onto the i4 as the older models are more than adequate for serving as backups.

Thanks

Eh good thing I love my black iPhone 4. Plus I always felt like the white iPhone's were always some what a girl type of phone. That's my opinion ONLY I never said it was or is.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

Green Apple
    Thanks

This has the added benefit of
    giving me a backup in case my current one gets lost/stolen/broke.
    Iv sold a 3G on eBay for 300$ and a cracked 3GS. A cracked one (bad crack) for 350$ this summer. While the iPhone 4 was out so they're going for much more.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Yea, i sold a cracked 3g not too long ago for 200 on Craigslist to a guy that lived down the street from me. Too easy and convenient!

Thanks

don't think theres going to be an iPhone 5 come this summer.