Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nintendo’s Biggest Threat is Apple, Not Microsoft

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This article was a pain to read with all the mistakes. Would have been a good article except for the fact that now it loses a lot of credibility because of how bad the grammar is.
    Last edited by zman2100; 10-27-2010 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zman2100 View Post
    This article was a pain to read with all the mistakes. Would have been a good article except for the fact that now it loses a lot of credibility because of how bad the grammar is.
    plze....stup ur whininhg......

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Christ would you all get off your high horses.

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuj29's Avatar
    Thanks

Just a spit ball, but if Mario (i.e mario3/mario Allstars) came to the app store it would out sell every game by miles, Sonic,sega Games, angry birds, all racing games........simple and classic.... Mite be old but everyone still loves it...right to top of appStore..FACT......just imagine....

I think Nintendo was talking about competitors as a whole, not just one segment.

Microsoft may not be in the hand-held market (yet,) but they are in the console/gaming market. While Apple is taking away from them in a market which Nintendo has dominated for over 15 years.

Losing market shares in the hand-held segment hurts Nintendo's bottom line, which places Apple as major competitor alongside Sony and Microsoft.

I think that Nintendo's biggest enemy is itself. They clearly do not market to teens, young adults, or any age of serious gamers. I have a DSlite, and I never use it, because the obsession with the stylus control screen hurts a lot of games. Switching between buttons and stylus mid-stream is not intuitive at all.

The Wii is a lot of fun, but when I want to play a serious game... I turn to my 360, or my PS3. When I'm on the go (which is more often than not) I use my iPhone 4 for games. Why carry two devices?
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

No sympathy from me, Nintendo and Sony. Overcharging us for a game? Just like the compact disc industry for music. They did the same thing and no they are extinct for the most part.

Lower the prices of the games and maybe I'd buy them again.

My opinion.

iPhone? More like MyPhone AmadeusKaelPyralis's Avatar
    Thanks

I tend to agree that Nintendo, while behind the curve in graphics... hardware... and playable games, is still superior to an iDevice. To be perfectly honest, I do not feel the iPhone is a "gaming" device, nor the iPod Touch. They are social networking devices more than anything. Apps that are games are short, very limited in both control and depth. Look at MOST reviews for App games-- they are always hounding about lags, control issues, but the games themselves have potential. And I think that is always how App Games will be. You cannot have six buttons and a ten hour long story on an App game. At most you'll get a touch d-pad and one or two action buttons. Anything else clutters up the play-area.

Nintendo and its competitors (Sony, Microsoft) still have a good edge over an iDevice gaming market. Whether they keep the edge or not will be the deciding factor. If they do come out with a viable "controller" hardware peice for the iDevice then it will only be a matter of time before the problems with iDevice Games become too much for Nintendo and company to handle. It is true, I carry my iPhone everywhere. Using it as a portable gaming device would make it that much more valuable. But the DS and PSP still hold superior playability over the iDevice... which is why I lug one of them around as well.

Granted, Nintendo's hardware has seen some flops. The DS and WII were awful (I own them both though) as far as more bang for your buck. They are not without their charm though. Nintendo needs to take a year and completely remodel their plans and make a Wii-Playstation hybrid and sell it for 299$. It would undercut all competitors, and offer people a platform that truly fits the needs of gamers. Alas... we live not in a perfect world.

Being a gamer is a love/hate relationship.

Im just waiting for addon with fisical buttons for the ipod/iphone, for under 50 bucks

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

EVERY BODY IN THERE MOTHER HAS A NINTENDO Wii. NINTENDO WAS MAKING A BIG DENT ON THE PS3 SALES AND NOW SONY IS NOW MAKING SOME MONEY WITH THERE PS3SYSTEM, AND ABOUT THE HAND HELD DEVICES THE iPHONE IS THE iPHONE IF I REALLY WANT TO PLAY SOME REAL GAME I PICK UP MY PSP-GO AND MY WIFE HAS HER DS. I DON'T SEE WHY THIS IS A BIG DEAL. WHAT NINDENDO NEED TO DO IS MAKE A NEW WITH BUILD IN HDD SOMETHING LIKE A 16GB DS THAT ALSO USE THE OLD GAMES THAT IS HOT AND MAKE ALL THERE GAME downloadable ALSO GIVE PEOPLE A CHOICE IF THEY WANT TO HAVE DIGITAL FILES GAMES OR CARTRIDGES NOW THAT IS GIVING PEOPLE A CHOICE THIS IS WHERE PSP-GO IS FAILING ONLY DIGITAL GAME BUT NOT ALL GAMES ARE DIGITAL AND I HAD A LOT OF REGULAR PSP GAME ON UMD AND I HAD TO SALE THEN ALL. IF NINTENDO GET THIS RIGHT THEY BE ON TOP.

Quote Originally Posted by SepticTank View Post
    No sympathy from me, Nintendo and Sony. Overcharging us for a game? Just like the compact disc industry for music. They did the same thing and no they are extinct for the most part.

Lower the prices of the games and maybe I'd buy them again.

My opinion.
    Well said. Nintendo just needs to rethink their business strategy. They've got geniuses over there. I'm sure they will think of something. Heck, they survived the PS2/Xbox era. This is nothing to them

formerly known as Method2001 TheGrandFinale2001's Avatar
    Thanks

For some reason... I am not surprised. Go figure lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am also an oldschool gamer, and my iPhone is the only device I have for portable gaming anymore. Yes there are more in-depth games on the dedicated portable gaming systems, but when I'm on the go and I want to play a game, I usually only have a few minutes to spare, which would barely cover an intro cut scene in a more traditional game, and i cant usually devote the amount of attention those games require. So the casual iOS games are perfect for what I'm looking for. Fling some birds around for a couple minutes and then go back to what I was doing.

Then there's the idea that I don't want to carry around a bunch of devices for everything I want to do. That's part of the reason I got the iPhone to begin with. Plays music, so I don't need a separate mp3 player. Plays games, so I don't need to lug around a ds, games, and possibly a charger.

Quote Originally Posted by athleticswimmer View Post
    plze....stup ur whininhg......
    Seriously? Can we give the guy a break? I'm sure the next article he writes he wont have the same mistakes. We are all human and have our lil issues..

Anyways... As a little kid I always wanted whats popular or whatever my friends have, and no a days I see all sorta little kids running around with touches and iphones. A touch is easily in the same price range as a DS or PSP so its a no brainer to go with the Apple with the cheaper apps/games.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I totally dig my iphone, and there are some really fun games on it. However, when Im traveling long distance and want to play a game for more then a few minutes... My iphone always loses to my psp/ds/laptop(depending on the mode of travel of course) The lack of buttons and tactile feel has sort of hurt my appetite for more large scale games... ALthough, playin the SNES on my phone with a wii classic pro.... now that is a riot.
    Definitely, most of the games on the iPhone are short addictive games. Yes there are some that take some time, but nothing beats playing tiger woods or first hand shooter games on the psp. I think the biggest problem is that since people always have there phones on them like John said, they opt to buying games for it and not other devices. Easier to carry one item than two
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I agree. Microsoft games especially the ones that compete on the console platform are aimed to one type of market since its most successful ones are Halo, Call of Duty, and a few others that really make the platform stand out. Nintendo has its own niche with the unique control interface and games that seems like the iPhone would be more competing against. I personally would never get rid of my Xbox 360 and Call of Duty for a iPhone/Nintendo game but I would rather have the gyroscope games on the iDevices over a Wii.

Ya the app store has hundreds of games, but most of them suck! I think the 3DS next year will have an AppStore as well, don't underestimate Nintendo!

Oh my gosh aka OMG(cause spelling and grammar is that important to some peeplo laugh out loud)
    people for sakes your on a forum over the internet, do you really expect college level grammar and spelling? Or even high school.
    U kno evabody typ3z lyk dis n0w a d4ys.
    So f@$% gammar(: haha
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    If you can't spell and use grammar properly then how can I expect you to get any of the facts correct in your article?
    Sometimes the adverb clause is placed at the beginning of the sentence. When it introduces the sentence, it is always set off with a comma.
    Daily Grammar

It appears as though you are missing a comma, professor.

Thanks

"This Thread's Biggest Threat is Grammar and English Professors"

So many people need to reread this article. Ya the people claiming apple is no more of a threat to nintendo then it is to micrsoft? This article is right on. Nintendo has always had competition in home consoles. Alot of times it outsold competition but lately it has failed hard. But no one has ever posed real challenge in the handheld market. I'm not talkin specs design appeal, I'm talkin sells. Now the ios is poseing a potential threat to the dominated handheld market they have owned since gameboys original release. Don't post another comment comparing apples threat from Microsoft. A ton of people have a wii case it's so gimmiky but most are not hardcore players. I know people with them that only own one game. You can sell all the consoles you want but the games are what keeps it alive. Nintendo knows Sony and Microsoft beat them bad there but now the handheld market for them is in jepordy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast