Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: App Resume in Lion: Never Quit a Program Again

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gotjpeg View Post
    If you're a gamer you wouldn't be worrying too much about this cause you'll be using windows
    MAN DOWN!!! I repeat MAN DOWN!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meh View Post
    You're a gamer and you run a Mac? Lol?

In regards to this announcement however, I'm not quite seeing the big picture? How is this a really useful feature? In Windows if you re-open your app after closing it then you can load your file again and just pick up where you left off. I'm not quite seeing the draw here since it seems like to have auto resume of anything it'd need to hog a lot of RAM no?
    Hey man don't diss mac gaming we have modern warfare and assassins creed 2. Lol jk.

Damn now more than ever were gonna need a mac cydia to fix all the performance and battery draining crap apple likes to add.

I can swear I read something somewhere about something in windows 7 multitasking that was related to fast app switching but I cant remember.

Looks like Im gonna make good use of activity monitor and I will probably buy iStat 3 (been using the old free version for a while).

Mac OS X already reserves the majority of free RAM and delegates it out to apps itself. That's why when you go into Activity Monitor, free RAM also seems to be very low.

I think this could be a revolution in computing. Imagine, instead of just minimizing, being able to close a document or a movie or a presentation, and being able to open it and go right back to where you were. For the productivity and media focus and ease of use that Macs have always been known for, I'd say its a great step to take.

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
    Seems like a great idea. I have no doubt that whatever problems we forsee about this technology, Apple will also come up with and find a solution for. Hence why it took them so long to release multitasking on ios because they didnt want to kill the battery and whatnot. If they do come out with this feature... rest assured it will probably work.. and work well. If not, it could kill the reputation of the entire Mac OS and Im sure this is something Apple has considered with EVERY update to its OS. If it dont work how they want it/advertise it to work... they gonn' be ScREeewEd.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    Damn now more than ever were gonna need a mac cydia to fix all the performance and battery draining crap apple likes to add.

I can swear I read something somewhere about something in windows 7 multitasking that was related to fast app switching but I cant remember.

Looks like Im gonna make good use of activity monitor and I will probably buy iStat 3 (been using the old free version for a while).
    Why a mac "cydia" when you can still download software from the internet with no restrictions?

Quote Originally Posted by mohaas05 View Post
    Mac OS X already reserves the majority of free RAM and delegates it out to apps itself. That's why when you go into Activity Monitor, free RAM also seems to be very low.

I think this could be a revolution in computing. Imagine, instead of just minimizing, being able to close a document or a movie or a presentation, and being able to open it and go right back to where you were. For the productivity and media focus and ease of use that Macs have always been known for, I'd say its a great step to take.
    +1

If this does happen, then I guarantee that apple will find a way to make this work. If it doesn't work well, then they WON'T USE IT. It would jeopardize the Mac OS and they are smart enough to realize that. This is just speculation. How many times have people came out and said that an idea that Apple has is not going to work....and then it works. Who knows if this is even true, and if it is, then I'm sure they'll find a way to minimize CPU usage and/or battery life.

Calm down people. Relax, have some fun.

Y'all are Windows 7 lovers.

Need multiFl0w for mac to close and manage apps. Cant find that on the internet. The real reason though is at I want much easier acces to mac themes because finding themepark themes for SnowLeopard or getting widgets on the desktop... Very difficult to do and hard to find.

Activity monitor simply wont cut it any more after Lion. Even with iStat
    Last edited by SnowLeo; 10-25-2010 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    Need multiFl0w for mac to close and manage apps. Cant find that on the internet. The real reason though is at I want much easier acces to mac themes because finding themepark themes for SnowLeopard or getting widgets on the desktop... Very difficult to do and hard to find.

Activity monitor simply wont cut it any more after Lion. Even with iStat
    Difficult to put widgets on the desktop? It's just a terminal command:

defaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES

Replace the YES with NO to reverse.

Lol, why would you find multifl0w now when there's no need for it quite yet? If Apple does use this whole "backgrounding" concept with 10.7 then I'm sure that within minutes developers will have their own tweaks and you don't need cydia for that. I don't see a need for OS X themes, I like the interface as it is. No one even knows that apple will do any of this. sheesh

Quote Originally Posted by stlcaddie View Post
    I'm all about Open mindedness, I don't want to be the old person that is stuck in his ways. Better technology is BORN Everyda, embrace it.
    ^^ amen to that!!

But I would still want to try lion before I actually use it.....better safe than sorry

Quote Originally Posted by mohaas05 View Post
    It is pretty revolutionary, almost like in Windows 95 when they started asking you "Do you want to save the changes to [this document]? Except you won't have to press TWO buttons!

Poor photoshop job on erasing the previous epitaph on the tombstone. Photoshop CS5's content aware tools make it ridiculously simple. Just select the area, hit delete, hit the content aware button in the popup.... and BAM fills it in perfectly.

Thanks

I'm still unsure about Lion, but I have some time to warm up to it. It should be interesting to see what they come out with.

Oh and by the way... This is how an article should be written. Well said and put together and researched! Take note messany.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meh View Post
    You're a gamer and you run a Mac? Lol?
    Sounds like someone has never heard of Valve porting their Source games and Steam to Mac. (Different meaning?)

I'm curious how this is going to work and if it will work efficiently.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeSlayer View Post
    Sounds like someone has never heard of Valve porting their Source games and Steam to Mac. (Different meaning?)

I'm curious how this is going to work and if it will work efficiently.
    Yes like the 5 games valve has but yet you can't run the games on the steam store.

How has no one figured this out yet? Everyone keeps posting "TOO MUCH RAMZZ" "OHH NOZ MY CPUZ"

It wont hog CPU or ram. When you close the app it quits. But it save the state that you were working on. So when you relaunch the app it opens right were you left off. I'm sure it will save some cache in your memory so relaunch won't take forever but for the most part the app will be gone from your memory. Think of it like IOS multitasking.

This will actually SAVE ram and CPU.

You have no ideas how many times I don't close applications just because i like to keep my current state without having to save.
    Ik this will revolutionize the way I work.

How will All the full screen games work? There's no way SCII will just "background"

Default Invented by Elias Howe in 1851
    Quote Originally Posted by stldirty View Post
    but how will i close my pr0n
    It's called a Zipper.

It will eat up too much memory. Minimizing a window will have the same effect

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

This would be awesome, but I agree with some as far a CPU and memory issue that could be present
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12