+ Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Begins Killing the Hard Drive

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by one1 Apple has no say in the hard drive whatsoever. They don't sell enough mac's to equal an ant hill in the computer market and all the
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    Apple has no say in the hard drive whatsoever. They don't sell enough mac's to equal an ant hill in the computer market and all the iphones, IPT's and ipads have ran flash from day one so Apple has NEVER affected HD sales of computers, most especially since only one of their computers comes standard with SSD. (MBA)

So either Jobs, or the person who wrote this article has their head in the sand if they think their 3% of the computer market has anything to do with hard drive sales.

LAUGHABLE.
    OBVIOUSLY they have no say in any market. Like when they had 0% in the phone market now what are they a good 30% or so? Since the iPhone apps and touchscreen phones have boomed. What about the iPad? They were at 0% and control a great portion of the tablet market. I'm sure they can also control the computer market aswell. Plus memory gets cheaper, if ssd's take up less space and are faster it is bound to get cheaper in 2-4 years. I remember when I bought my 4GB memory stick for $140, now they cost like $30, same with ssd's, Apple is just making that day come sooner...
    PS not trying to start a flame war... just stating my opinion, as you are yours (means I wont respond to any comments on this kthnxby)

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    OBVIOUSLY they have no say in any market. Like when they had 0% in the phone market now what are they a good 30% or so? Since the iPhone apps and touchscreen phones have boomed. What about the iPad? They were at 0% and control a great portion of the tablet market. I'm sure they can also control the computer market aswell. Plus memory gets cheaper, if ssd's take up less space and are faster it is bound to get cheaper in 2-4 years. I remember when I bought my 4GB memory stick for $140, now they cost like $30, same with ssd's, Apple is just making that day come sooner...
    PS not trying to start a flame war... just stating my opinion, as you are yours (means I wont respond to any comments on this kthnxby)
    iPhone and iPads are not fair examples. The smartphone and tablet markets were essentially nonexistent when Apple got involved in each of them (there were a few exceptions of course). The laptop market is an entirely different thing altogether. It's not as if this is their first attempt at a laptop. The MBA does nothing to revolutionize it's market.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    Now repeat after me "None of that S**T requires a HD so it is not taking away from HD sales no matter how many of them they sell". It's not a real computer, no USB, no printer port, NOTHING. It's "a magical device" from fairy land. That's great, but we live in "everybody has a laptop or desktop land" here in reality and I have yet to be rang up at a DPS computer terminal by an iPad in any corporation anywhere on planet earth INCLUDING at Apple stores who have their own special dondle device for keying in the order and a big MAC as the register. Here's a statistic for you, Apple has been making computers since the 70's and haven't done squat since to break into the market share.......... you expecting a miracle to happen that hasn't happened in the last 40 years?

Now everyone get out of magic device fairy land and come back to reality where we use computers which Apple is only 3% market share of. PERIOD. Kids....... believing in fairy tales ever more.
    Last edited by one1; 10-23-2010 at 08:30 PM.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    ummm, ok. I'm sorry that you wished you could have a mac, but don't have the money.

Guess what?! Your iPhone, it's an Apple product! It has less software choices than macs!

Oh and also, applications for mac kick the butt of windows apps any day. You want to know why? because apple has a SDK with tons of tools and API's that help dev make awesome apps, with much less work.

you're the one being a troll.
    IOS is completely irrelevant to mac. Liking an iphone has nothing to do with liking a mac. More than half of the windows users dont like windows mobile.
    You say he's a troll for supporting windows, yet you finish your post with mac's a** all over your face?
    Like you said, this is an apple forum. Not a mac forum. Apple does not stand for mac. Mac stands for Apple. Just as IOS stands for Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    OS X is a much much better OS than any windows os but apple hardware is over priced that's why I have a hackintosh for my main setup that way my video card, CPU and all that stuff is affordable to upgrade. All my mobile devices and laptops are apple brand because IMO they are better then the rest.
    I agree that Apple's hardware are overpriced, I only bought the iphone because of IOS. If IOS could be installed on one of those HTC Desire phones, I would switch in a minute. Idk about OSX (never used it much, so don't know much about it) but IOS is definitely my favorite.
    Last edited by Waleed786; 10-23-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    IOS is completely irrelevant to mac. Liking an iphone has nothing to do with liking a mac. More than half of the windows users dont like windows mobile.
    You say he's a troll for supporting windows, yet you finish your post with mac's a** all over your face?
    Like you said, this is an apple forum. Not a mac forum. Apple does not stand for mac. Mac stands for Apple. Just as IOS stands for Apple.

I agree that Apple's hardware are overpriced, I only bought the iphone because of IOS. If IOS could be installed on one of those HTC Desire phones, I would switch in a minute. Idk about OSX (never used it much, so don't know much about it) but IOS is definitely my favorite.
    I'm not an apple fanboi. I use all major OS's. I prefer mac OS to any other. I am probably more proficient with computers (windows included) than most of the IT department at my college. He was being a troll all over then thread. it was time for him to stfu.

Twitter: @tshoults

6. The Following User Says Thank You to moon#pie For This Useful Post:

Tyronal (10-24-2010)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    I can't stand listening to you close-minded fools.

I've seen some pretty kickass pc-based laptops that are right there with the top MBPs in terms of performance. Hell, you can make a hackintosh that will run OSX right alongside the best MBPs for a fraction of their price. Also, your argument about not being able to afford one does nothing to support your opinion whatsoever.

Yes, there are some awesome ones that are better than their Windows equivalents, but to act as though there aren't just as many Wnidows based apps that are better than there Mac based rivals is just foolish. After all, bootcamp and parallels are big hits for a reason.

You and Tyronal are certainly two of the more hostile members of this site.
    Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Sorry you find coming to an all Apple forums and reading "hostile" posts from obvious haters, good reading. I don't. I can't stand listening to "closed"-minded fools that use an Apple forum to bash either. After using all platforms and using all OS' over 25 years, I've made my choice, but I don't go on MS forums and trash PC's, and I don't come here and trash Macs either. Would you enjoy someone coming to your house and trashing you choice of stereo or TV? I'm interested where Apple is going with their choice of technology because it does impact the market place and that affects my business directly. I'm sick of obvious haters with half a brain coming to an "ALL APPLE" forum with only one agenda. If I want to listen to pimple faced twats whinge about ridiculous stuff I'll go spend the day at the Mall, thanks. The fact the mods don't police their own rules, opens these discussions boards up to trolls. It pollutes a good site and if you want educated readers turning away, all you'll get is Apple haters. Is that what you want from this site???

Apple has no say in the hard drive whatsoever. They don't sell enough mac's to equal an ant hill in the computer market and all the iphones, IPT's and ipads have ran flash from day one so Apple has NEVER affected HD sales of computers, most especially since only one of their computers comes standard with SSD. (MBA)

So either Jobs, or the person who wrote this article has their head in the sand if they think their 3% of the computer market has anything to do with hard drive sales.

LAUGHABLE.
    Nobody has a "SAY" in the hard drive market place. The fact Apple is the biggest buyer of Flash memory in the world does have an impact in the market place. Apple dropped many hardware standards before others did and got this same kind of ridicule. Guess what? They all eventually followed. The day SSD prices equal or drop below HD prices, guess what? SSD will be the next standard and it eventually will. If technology isn't bold enough to move forward by dropping accepted standards and taking risks with newer, more pricy alternatives, then it will end up in a technological rut. Henry Ford took gamble after gamble and drove the auto industry into whole new era. I only hope more companies have the balls to do the same regardless of the flak the neigh says keep heaping on companies like Apple. Why should we be happy with technology that's 10-15 years old? If you want to see what the future of computers will be take a look: [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computer]Quantum computer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

BTW, Apples US market share is over 20% and rising dramatically, not 3%. World wide it's more around 17%. With computers and iPad combined they make up 85% of the PC market and now the biggest IT company on the planet. Ignore them at your peril, and when Chrome OS is released, MS won't be worried about Apple. Chrome will be the biggest threat MS will face in its long history. It could even break them.... Lets wait and see. But then you can always keep your head in the sand, nothing changes there.
    Last edited by Tyronal; 10-24-2010 at 04:09 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tyronal For This Useful Post:

moon#pie (10-24-2010), Rob2G (10-25-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tyronal View Post

Nobody has a "SAY" in the hard drive market place.
    That is what I just said, pat attention. Needs not repeating.

You can dream about the future all you want, read the title of the thread again.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Banned
    Thanks

That is what I just said, pat attention. Needs not repeating.

You can dream about the future all you want, read the title of the thread again.
    To quote your own comments "Apple has no say in the hard drive whatsoever". Perhaps you should "pat" or is that pay attention to what you write yourself, then you won't be taken out of context. Next time make it clear what you are trying to say, albeit rather cryptic or unintelligible at times.

I don't dream about anything. It is my business to know where the trends go so I can't afford to be a fanboy of anything. Again, ignore anything at your peril while the rest of the world moves forward, flat earthers don't decide where technology goes, thank god.

The title of the tread is just a flame but in reality HD is the old technology and won't last the next decade. You can bank on it, and I do. The market always gets it right.
    Last edited by Tyronal; 10-24-2010 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tyronal View Post
    To quote your own comments "Apple has no say in the hard drive whatsoever". Perhaps you should "pat" or is that pay attention to what you write yourself, then you won't be taken out of context. Next time make it clear what you are trying to say, albeit rather cryptic or unintelligible at times.

I don't dream about anything. It is my business to know where the trends go so I can't afford to be a fanboy of anything. Again, ignore anything at your peril while the rest of the world moves forward, flat earthers don't decide where technology goes, thank god.

The title of the tread is just a flame but in reality HD is the old technology and won't last the next decade. You can bank on it, and I do. The market always gets it right.
    don't screw with one1 or you'll become Zeal3.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to moon#pie For This Useful Post:

Rob2G (10-25-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    Isn't this an apple themed site? Does your idevice have the apple logo on it's back?
    Um.... And what's your point? I HATE apple, I hate there limited Mac os and there non gaming computers are overpriced. I just happen to love there iPhone and ios on a mobile level. Go ahead, burn me now for being honest!

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mardinn View Post
    I seriously hope Apple will fail. They think they can control everything. One day, and that day will come soon I will see Apple crumble for trying to control everything. Pathetic Steve Jobs..
    When does this article say that Apple tries to control anything? Apple is just like Intel, example: Intel produced the first ever DEC CPU and 3 years later invented PGA 370 socket CPU's and another 3 or 4 years later they invented the LGA 775 CPU socket and NOW we have the Intel LGA 1156 (aka the i3 i5 and i7). So in conclusion, Intel revolutionizes the CPU market every 3 or few years, and like Intel, Apple revolutionizes the macbook, iOS, or Leopard (now going to be lion) every few years!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to coolguy742 For This Useful Post:

Snozberries (10-25-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Um.... And what's your point? I HATE apple, I hate there limited Mac os and there non gaming computers are overpriced. I just happen to love there iPhone and ios on a mobile level. Go ahead, burn me now for being honest!
    "Limited OS"? That's what terminal.app is for. You're just not savvy enough to know what to do with it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Snozberries's Avatar
    Thanks

Agreed to most posts. I too would love to get a nice "instant on" 120 gb SSD. Let's just be realistic and back it up to a $150 WD 1TB HDD in your HP MediaSmart Server... I'm half way there. Still not willing to rebuild my rig with an SSD yet. To Be Continued...

+ Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345