+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Begins Killing the Hard Drive

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
This is the future. It maybe going slow. But it has to start somewhere and I think the air was the perfect computer for that. A basic Mac but still
    My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

This is the future. It maybe going slow. But it has to start somewhere and I think the air was the perfect computer for that. A basic Mac but still potential for many tasks at the same time. Anyone with a need for more storage is going to buy a pro anyway
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EskimoRuler For This Useful Post:

macsoldier (10-22-2010)

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Consumer products may be satisfied with flash, however big businesses (telcos, banks, financial & insurance co's, shippers, etc) will always need HUGE tera-peta byte storage systems. Their increasingly massive storage requirements will keep HDDs viable for a very long time. Unfortunately, HDD $/GB storage prices are likely to stabilize or even increase as flash becomes more prevalent and consumer demand weans.

SnR
    Thanks

Nice, this will make Mac's even smaller and lighter!

Green Apple
    Thanks

im going to wait for this on the MBP so i Can Add a Exteranal Hard Drive because i think the air is TOO small and i would be constantly afraid of it breaking and be SOL plus i need the CD/DVD Drive

Thanks

Apple started killing the hard drive when they released the iPod nano.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EskimoRuler View Post
    This is the future. It maybe going slow. But it has to start somewhere and I think the air was the perfect computer for that. A basic Mac but still potential for many tasks at the same time. Anyone with a need for more storage is going to buy a pro anyway
    I agree

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

Im impressed with the way Apple did this, yes some are saying that Sony did this before them, well today its whoever has the most money and friends on facebook is going to win. Its just a matter of time before the SSD increases in storage capacity, With todays Externals there is really no need for a huge expansion but whatever floats your boat, its why they call it a personal computer anyways.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Acciavatti View Post
    "All notebooks will be like this someday," Jobs said on the stage yesterday
    And? I could have told you 2/3 years ago as soon as SSDs became redility available that once the price comes down they will replace HDDs. I'll be bold and say

"All Desktop Computers will run on SSDs one day" ...which they will. Give it a few years of development and we will get TB SSD drives.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I hate when they announce in the keynote speech that products are "available today" when what they really mean is "ships today". Both my local Apple stores do not have the new Airs in stock yet. I wanna go check out the "instant on" and see if I wanna throw down on one.

On another note @mardinn - Apple isn't "controlling" anything as no one is controlling you into buying anything from them. Your statement is ridiculous. Even if the Air fails (which the last model didn't) it's still their niche market product and therefore their least selling.... and that's ok by their projections.
    What do you mean they are not controlling? They first want Flash out the picture. Now they want our HDDs to go poof. I know I don't have to buy them. I would not dare to buy a Macbook while I can build 3 high-end PCs. We all know that Americans will follow Steve wherever he goes, and its the customers who control the market. The customers buy stuff that they think are useful, and this is where Steve comes in to control everyone, but I don't care. I've got my reliable HDD. It doesn't break down, so no worries for me ;p I hope you all follow Steve Jobs to his grave.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mardinn View Post
    What do you mean they are not controlling? They first want Flash out the picture. Now they want our HDDs to go poof. I know I don't have to buy them. I would not dare to buy a Macbook while I can build 3 high-end PCs. We all know that Americans will follow Steve wherever he goes, and its the customers who control the market. The customers buy stuff that they think are useful, and this is where Steve comes in to control everyone, but I don't care. I've got my reliable HDD. It doesn't break down, so no worries for me ;p I hope you all follow Steve Jobs to his grave.
    Troll much???? How's your wife Melinda going Bill??

"Hey, I builded me a Ferrari, I'm so whatyamacallit,...smart, yeah that's it. I'm builded me one of them there space shuttle thingies too. I aint no dumbass, no siree". " I'm gonna builded me a woman too, Yuk yuk yuk". "hey ma, we havin possum pie for supper or what"?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

SSD are the future, and i hope apple can make prices go down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tyronal View Post
    Troll much???? How's your wife Melinda going Bill??

"Hey, I builded me a Ferrari, I'm so whatyamacallit,...smart, yeah that's it. I'm builded me one of them there space shuttle thingies too. I aint no dumbass, no siree". " I'm gonna builded me a woman too, Yuk yuk yuk". "hey ma, we havin possum pie for supper or what"?
    What? What the heck is wrong with you? Please just dig youself a grave and lie down, because no one will miss you.

Why would I be trolling? I could care less that this is a Apple forum. My opinion is as good as anyone else's.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nbsmatambo View Post
    maybe im wrong but i dont think you could ever upgrade a MacBooks memory in the firstplace
    yeah you're wrong. If you look in your macbook user guide (if you don't know where it's at, look in the contents of your macintosh hd folder and you'll find your guide) and you'll find instructions on how to replace/upgrade the hard drive & memory.

iPhone? More like MyPhone hapishyguy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    Sony was using SSD's in their devices years ago, I never understood why it never got big..I guess the main reason is that hard drives are already in the terabyte range while SSD's are still in the low gigabytes...i guess Apple will be the one to make it popular
    Its the hype that Sony didnt made and Apple did.

Thanks

And sony's computers can be even more expensive than apple's. believe it or not.

Twitter: @tshoults

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Yay for SSD's! Screw HDD, SSD has no moving parts to worry about, considerably faster reading and in most cases writing. With Apple pushing SSD drives into all their products, we'll see a demand from PC companies to do the same and then the prices will be more favorable and be dropping way more than the current 50% annually. Plus if we tap into cloud computing more, (and broadband internet is more widespread) we wont really need huge drive space.. just space for the OS. Store all your crap on servers at home or with Apple or something. Exciting times ahead for the tech world... Apple fans especially.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VBLUE42 View Post
    Some people just don't get it and should reframe from comment altogether. :
    My opinion is as good as your.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
    Yay for SSD's! Screw HDD, SSD has no moving parts to worry about, considerably faster reading and in most cases writing. With Apple pushing SSD drives into all their products, we'll see a demand from PC companies to do the same and then the prices will be more favorable and be dropping way more than the current 50% annually. Plus if we tap into cloud computing more, (and broadband internet is more widespread) we wont really need huge drive space.. just space for the OS. Store all your crap on servers at home or with Apple or something. Exciting times ahead for the tech world... Apple fans especially.
    Yes it would be interesting if we had cloud computing. Just think about it, it would've been awesome, but there are consequences you have to think about. For example if the servers go down.. so does your files. You have to wait for the server to be online again. That is the issue with Assassins Creed 2 .
    Last edited by mardinn; 10-22-2010 at 08:22 AM. Reason: To add something

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mardinn View Post
    ^ LOL, you are hillarious. Afraid of change much? If we still stuck with the "reliable" crap we had, we'd still be driving horse and buggies. Flash should go. Its slow, its buggy, requires a plug-in, and is not compliant with SEO. HTML5 is fast, no apps or plug-ins to download, text in animations are selectable/searchable, and you can view it on all mobile devices, including iDevices. And my God, "I've got my reliable HDD. It doesn't break down, -" It prob hasn't broken down YET, but it will soon. Anything with moving parts breaks down MUCH quicker than the latter. HDD's have an actuator arm and read/write head that must seek out data on a platter... making them slower and less reliable than non-volatile NAND flash memory. Most flash drives can take impacts up to 1,500 Gs! A HDD can only withstand up to about 350 Gs while on, and 800 Gs when off. Considering all that... As a technologically advanced American citizen, I will follow Steve Jobs, not because he is controlling me (Its MY choice to buy his products) but because Steve Jobs is on the right path. The path to the future... not your "reliable" horse and buggy path of yesterday.

Thanks

as a filmmaker, having a lot of storage is VITAL. I really dont give a **** SSD my old fashioned mac book pro with its antique disk drive has worked fine since 2005.

Thanks

I would NEVER buy a Mac, the only one I would want would be the 17" pro and the cost of them are like 3500 bucks! Total rip off to say the least. I have a 17" windows notebook fully loaded with top of the line specs for half that price with a 1080p screen and a Blu-ray drive. I still don't understand why people throw away good money on Apple products...especially a product that has very low software choices. I think they should replace the Apple logo with Steves face on it lol.

F'n ridiculous!
    "Don't hold it like that!"