+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Begins Killing the Hard Drive

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
What are the pro's and cons of ssd vs hdd?
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I want a 320GB+ SSD in my MBP but I think the cost will be too high...

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Apple isn't beginning to kill anything, that is useless drivel. The thing holding back SSDs is price per gigabyte, size, and wear of the blocks. Apple doesn't have anything to do with this. They may buy the most chips by volume but they aren't in the hard drive/storage business. They benefit from better tech but they aren't the driving force behind advancements in storage technology. Instant on was around before the Air and it'll be around after they don't sell large volumes of them. Apple isn't the leader and innovator most make them out to be.
    HK-Z on Game Center

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KartRacer For This Useful Post:

anekin007 (10-21-2010), rocky5 (10-21-2010), sunshinejenn03 (10-21-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    Pros: massive speed increase, much faster boot times and load times, less heat generated, less power usage (I believe)

Cons: ridiculous price per gigabyte (think dollars per gig rather than cents), nowhere near comparable hard drive storage sizes, SLC vs MLC performance is too great and not many people know the difference, reliability, and wear of the drives. Plus the OS should support TRIM at some point because they suffer massive performance losses if not managed right. And I mean MASSIVE.

Currently anything of useful size and performance isn't worth the money. Having 60 gig for an OS is nowhere near enough, especially when using BootCamp. Wait 2 years and they'll be worth it.
    HK-Z on Game Center

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    I'm not liking the fact that they took the memory out of it's HDD housing..... How am I suppose to upgrade my storage if the chips are on the board?? I understand you can get an external HDD but that's not the answer for me.....
    maybe im wrong but i dont think you could ever upgrade a MacBooks memory in the firstplace

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mardinn View Post
    I seriously hope Apple will fail. They think they can control everything. One day, and that day will come soon I will see Apple crumble for trying to control everything. Pathetic Steve Jobs..
    What exactly are they controlling in this article?

Banned
    Thanks

I seriously hope Apple will fail. They think they can control everything. One day, and that day will come soon I will see Apple crumble for trying to control everything. Pathetic Steve Jobs..
    Troll much today Mr Gates? Damn that Henry Ford for killing my buggy building business....

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nbsmatambo View Post
    maybe im wrong but i dont think you could ever upgrade a MacBooks memory in the firstplace
    yeah, you are wrong :P
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Is it me of is this article stupid? Apple is not the one that is going to make ssd popular. It has been popular and already been installed in other laptops. Reason it'd not that popular now is because is price/size ratio. Apple is not going to drive the price down it's the ssd manufactures. Recently price has really drop but not enough for people to rush in stores and buying them. Couple years ago a 60Gb ssd would run you $500 but in the past year it has drop to about $100. 40gb is very little now of days it's only good for installing the operating system and a couple of program u may often use. Ssd around 200gb are still going for $500. With a regular hard drive you can pick up a 500gb for under $50. Hardrives like the WD black can perform better then some of the lower end ssd. I wouldn't give up on the current hard drives yet especially for people that needs tons of storage. Ssd prices should be dropping in the years to come but NOT because of apple it's because technology is improving and manufacting ssd will be cheaper.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to anekin007 For This Useful Post:

durdan1 (10-22-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone j.eck.art.3d's Avatar
    Thanks

This isn't ready to replace the HDD any time soon. As you mentioned for one, flash has FAR fewer write cycles. And one thing that wasn't mentioned was that flash is a linear saving format (which has many pros, but one HUGE con). This means as soon as one bit get's corrupted or fails, literally... 1 bit, 1 thousandth of a K, the whole drive fails and there is no way (at least to my knowledge) to get any device to read past that one bit. Unlike a HDD, were even with a head crash, if need be, you can recover a large amounts of the data from the drive (sure it could cost thousands to do in worst case scenarios, but at least it is still an option if you are storing vital data). Ultimately, if Apple wants to use flash as it's sole internal storage media until those issues get resolved, I highly recommend using time machine with a good ole external HDD to constantly back up your flash-only devices.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nbsmatambo View Post
    Apple would like you to believe that you can't upgrade anything and that you have to either pay Apple to upgrade it for you or buy a newer model. The Mini one of the first hints that this was the direction they were headed. Unfortunately for Apple at the time, it was discovered that nothing more than a putty knife was needed to open the case.

I'm hardly surprised they would do this. Take, for example, the iPhone/iPod/iPad - it is practically impossible to upgrade the storage in any of them. Apple would love to do away with user-upgrades completely, forcing you to buy the next hardware revision every time you want to upgrade something.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

SSD's do not extend battery life, this is a common misconception and I am glad that Apple (read:Jobs) did not say it would in his keynote. OP, take a hint from Steve and revise the opening paragraph.

Source: The SSD Power Consumption Hoax : Flash SSDs Don?t Improve Your Notebook Battery Runtime ? they Reduce It

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vruls View Post
    It wouldnt be a bad idea, as long external hardrives are still made.
    Yes, as long as USB or Firewire is available on them and they don't go the path of the iDevice.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Now tell us how you really feel... and please don't hold back.

I remember having paid almost 500 dollars for a 425megabyte yes you read it right... 425 megabyte hard drive that was back in the windows 3.1 days. Now 500 dollars will get you Ts of storage. Give SSDs enough time and they we all we'll have them everywhere and yes they will be Ts in size.
    Last edited by FlyingJoey; 10-21-2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

This sounds good. I want to have SSD.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by masteroc View Post
    SSD's do not extend battery life, this is a common misconception and I am glad that Apple (read:Jobs) did not say it would in his keynote. OP, take a hint from Steve and revise the opening paragraph.

Source: The SSD Power Consumption Hoax : Flash SSDs Don?t Improve Your Notebook Battery Runtime ? they Reduce It
    The point was that they were smaller in size (physical) and would allow more room for a larger battery.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

For a Hard Drive, I need a minimum of 500GB (2 TB would be preferred though) internal, so SSD is not an option for me at this time.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    For a Hard Drive, I need a minimum of 500GB (2 TB would be preferred though) internal, so SSD is not an option for me at this time.
    Same here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by masteroc View Post

one, that was 2 years ago. two, did you read the last paragraph? kthxbai

Twitter: @tshoults

Thanks

Some people just don't get it and should reframe from comment altogether.