+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Lion: "The Power of Mac OS X, The Magic of iPad"

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Xenthis I agree... Apple seems to think that restrictions make a computer/ mobile device easier to use.. Macs make me feel like I am in prison.. I
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xenthis View Post
    I agree... Apple seems to think that restrictions make a computer/ mobile device easier to use.. Macs make me feel like I am in prison.. I just had to buy an iPod Touch 4g because my <1 yr old iPod Touch 2g was running slow!
    bdbbdbdbd---huh?

'Macs make you feel like you are in a prison', and Windows doesn't?
    That idea needs expansion. I went to a Mac to get OUT of prison. I have much more control over what happens on my Mac than I ever did in Windows. Between scripting/automator, .plist files, the wealth of Linux/Unix tools... show me where the bars are...

I totally agree with the theme of the 'jail' on iDevices... but it's not there on the computers... yet. And I don't see it coming. If it does, I will scream loudly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
    And Apple slowly takes away some more of your freedom. Next it will be "This year's Macbook Air runs OSX, but only applications approved for it in the McAppStore. We did this to ensure a great user experience with every application!"

Keep us oohing and ahhing while stabbing us in the back. Anyone who's not a dumbass is onto you, Steve. We all saw this coming. PC for life and loving it.

Can't wait to crack the now-centralized DRM on your AppStore just so all the devs will hate you for your new "innovation". Devs, stay the hell away from this unless you feel like giving your app away. Macstall0us is on the horizon.
    Ok first of all, we don't discuss about cracking commercial software or warez.

I want to try Lion before deciding to upgrade.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeSlayer View Post
    Ok first of all, we don't discuss about cracking commercial software or warez.

I want to try Lion before deciding to upgrade.
    chill out mang
    hes just pointing out that its likely to happen, just as it did with the ios app store. if crack one, you've cracked the whole store. its a bad deal for devs if that happens

Thanks

Oh please...let's stop getting our panties in a bunch here...The Mac App Store may just be an effort to make installation of applications on OS X even easier, although I certainly hope that it will be in addition to the programs are installed and not instead of.

Of course it would make sense to have centralized management of your installed software that, upon system failure, bad hard drive, upgrade to a new machine, etc., you could simply log in to the OS X-equivalent to your iTunes account and simply re-download all your apps, free and paid alike, along with maybe even settings and other things. I personally wouldn't want this, but I can see the appeal and application of such app management.

I also don't think that many people would put up with a Big Brother-like system, so as fast as the market share of the Mac seems to go up, it can dwindle back into oblivion really fast if such foolish thoughts were to be entertained by the Grand CEO and generally Big Boss Man of anything iOS, OS X, and everything in between. (e.g. eSATA, USB 3, Bluray, just to name a "few".)

EDIT: Having said that, I did find this, though: List of apps that will not be allowed into the Mac App Store
    Last edited by CrunchDude; 10-20-2010 at 05:34 PM.
    (2011) Mac mini Core i5-2520M 2.5GHz-3.2GHz (Turbo Boost) | 8GB DDR3 RAM | AMD Radeon HD 6630M | 27" LED Cinema Display | 6TB GRAID | 3TB Time Capsule 4th gen | iPhone 4 | iPad 2 | Apple TV 2nd gen. | Magic Trackpad | I surrender...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
    And Apple slowly takes away some more of your freedom. Next it will be "This year's Macbook Air runs OSX, but only applications approved for it in the McAppStore. We did this to ensure a great user experience with every application!"

Keep us oohing and ahhing while stabbing us in the back. Anyone who's not a dumbass is onto you, Steve. We all saw this coming. PC for life and loving it.

Can't wait to crack the now-centralized DRM on your AppStore just so all the devs will hate you for your new "innovation". Devs, stay the hell away from this unless you feel like giving your app away. Macstall0us is on the horizon.
    This world is full of choices like the pro-choice your mom had before you were born. OS saves me so much time compared to windows. It's fast, easy to use and intuitive. I don't game on a pc so I have no need for one anymore. These people on here and their opinions. It's not like you created a windows based pc or had anything to do with windows. When your last name is Gates maybe your worthless opinion will have merit. Until then, troll away your useless banter.
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 10-21-2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Removed uncalled for statement

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sharpjunkie76 For This Useful Post:

Tyronal (10-21-2010)

Thanks

I am exited to see this on my mac.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm going to wait for Lion to be released before I purchase my first Mac. I'm planning on getting a MacBook Pro for School.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

mod edit

and "lion"......not working out.

2011 is looking better than ever! to bad we wont be here in 2012
    Last edited by blkcadi; 10-20-2010 at 08:47 PM. Reason: warez chatter.

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    Oh please...let's stop getting our panties in a bunch here...The Mac App Store may just be an effort to make installation of applications on OS X even easier, although I certainly hope that it will be in addition to the programs are installed and not instead of.

Of course it would make sense to have centralized management of your installed software that, upon system failure, bad hard drive, upgrade to a new machine, etc., you could simply log in to the OS X-equivalent to your iTunes account and simply re-download all your apps, free and paid alike, along with maybe even settings and other things. I personally wouldn't want this, but I can see the appeal and application of such app management.

I also don't think that many people would put up with a Big Brother-like system, so as fast as the market share of the Mac seems to go up, it can dwindle back into oblivion really fast if such foolish thoughts were to be entertained by the Grand CEO and generally Big Boss Man of anything iOS, OS X, and everything in between. (e.g. eSATA, USB 3, Bluray, just to name a "few".)

EDIT: Having said that, I did find this, though: List of apps that will not be allowed into the Mac App Store

I agree, for those of you that actually watched the entire keynote- Steve Jobs specifically said that it will "be the easiest way....not necessarily the only way, but the easiest way to download apps." I'm certain that it will still be possible to download apps on the web (without any restrictions). But it gives developers an easier option to use.

Let's say Photoshop for example. Adobe, instead of selling the product in stores, could just put their app on the app store. Then users can buy it with just one click.

Looking back at that however, there is one MAJOR problem. Apple still makes 30% of the sales from the app/s, so Photoshop is probably an insignificant example. It was a very bad move for apple to keep that concept with the Mac App Store. I think that Developers of large applications won't be as convinced as small developers that will now make apps with small but useful purposes.....such as the apps made for iOS.

Green Apple
    Thanks

If 10.7 only runs signed apps my macbook will be running ubuntu for the rest of its life.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

What jobs said directly was
    "It will be the best way to discover applications. It won't be the only way, but we think it'll be the best way"
    It's just a means of discovery and a way to purchase applications easier using iTunes.. Not the restrictive iOS model (thank god!)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chuk12chuk View Post
    LOL!

And, if through an "app store" was the only way to get lion software, its called a monopoly (look it up) and its illegal. It wont be the only source, if one at all.
    Well, there is one thing wrong with your theory. It technically is the only way to get apps for the iphone... at least as far as Apple is willing to support. Where is the government breaking THAT monopoly (and it's less monopoly and more antitrust fwiw).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

DevouredDreams (10-20-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 808 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Well, there is one thing wrong with your theory. It technically is the only way to get apps for the iphone... at least as far as Apple is willing to support. Where is the government breaking THAT monopoly (and it's less monopoly and more antitrust fwiw).
    Glad im not the only one who said the same thing

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Okay... I am not a real mac user.. You are probably right. Although with Windows 7 I have seen few things that I can't modify.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forgoten Dynasty View Post
    If 10.7 only runs signed apps my macbook will be running ubuntu for the rest of its life.
    NOOO!!! it is just an easier way to get applications! it doesn't only run signed code!

Twitter: @tshoults

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBojank View Post
    If you watched the webcast, you would notice he said that the app store is not the only place to get apps, it's in addition to what is already and will still be available. There will be no walled garden.

Now, as far as what is allowed on the app store. That is, and should be, up to apple.
    And you actually believe that?

Jobs whole goal in life has been to lock down the platform. In the early days that was the downfall of the Mac. On the iPhone it worked due to the fact that the phone isn't a replacement for the computer.

Guess what neither is an iPad.

The day of the locked mac is coming and it will be the day the mac returns to the days of it's slide into obscurity, again.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I am very sure this whole "only running signed apps" is just a rumor, could you imagine the consequences if apple actually tried to do something like that.

If they actually did do that we would find alot more windows users in the future.
    Spam deleted

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Trist06 For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (10-21-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by santiagodraco View Post
    And you actually believe that?

Jobs whole goal in life has been to lock down the platform. In the early days that was the downfall of the Mac. On the iPhone it worked due to the fact that the phone isn't a replacement for the computer.

Guess what neither is an iPad.

The day of the locked mac is coming and it will be the day the mac returns to the days of it's slide into obscurity, again.
    People, PLEASE do not come up with assumptions if you haven't even watched the keynote.

Everyone knows that Jobs is trying to control everything, but even HE knows that he cant do that. NOONE would buy macs, I'm pretty sure he is smart enough to realize that. For now the app store will be just an easier way to buy signed apps. If the mac ever becomes locked.......it will be in a very long time i believe.

They are going to leave computers as they should be, and mobile devices as they should be.....period

22. The Following User Says Thank You to blueblaze4444 For This Useful Post:

moon#pie (10-21-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Has anyone used the latest version of ubuntu? It has a similar way of delivering apps like the proposed Mac App Store. Not all items at are a cost.

Originally, when I first attempted to use ubuntu as my Linux install since it was more friendly, I quickly found it to be a hassle to get any software installed on it. With the new app delivery system, users are able to search for specific type of software and once installed, it automatically checks for updates. Keep in mind one still has the option to manually install software. Sound familiar???

The MAC app store is going to open the Mac community to more options to software. Devs will want to spend time and money creating great new software. Look what the iPhone jailbreaking community did with early ios builds as far as apps, and then apple decided to build from that. Now we are using our phones for things that a couple of years ago were not thought of.

I only hope they don't lock it down totally.time will tell, and if they do, a jailbreak would be available the next day, lol.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I can actually see Apple locking OSX down. It may not happen tomorrow or next year but I think it will happen.

Apple likes locking their devices, restricting their users actions and controlling what they do... it's only a matter of time before this strategey is slowly and gradually moved towards the Mac. It'll be small gradual changes to OSX that'll further restrict what we can do.. they'll continue to push the boundries until their market share takes a hit.