+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Personal Music Streaming Makes a Comeback with Audiogalaxy

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Personal Music Streaming Makes a Comeback with Audiogalaxy

Audiogalaxy has release a music-streaming app thatís compatible with all iOS devices running 3.1 or higher. Ever since Google bought Simplify and ended its development, the App Store has been sadly lacking software that lets users stream their music from computer to wireless device. With the arrival of Audiogalaxy, that has now changed.

Before using the app, users must create an account with Audiogalaxy and download their desktop client software. The users hard drive is then scanned for all available audio files, unfortunately, this can be a slow process. Once this process is complete, however, users can then enjoy music (including playlists) anywhere there is Wi-Fi, 3G or Edge network connection.

Alternatives to Audiogalaxy are available, such as Zumocast, but it is primarily a video streaming app. Audio streaming is available as well, but files are not organized, as you would expect them to be. Air Video is another content streaming app, but it does not yet include audio-streaming. This feature is sure to be part of a future update.

Some Audiogalaxy users have reported problems with playlists now showing up when audio files are stored on an external hard drive. Itís unclear at the moment, if this is a widespread problem or not. Either way, itís sure to be addressed at some point.

People may remember the name Audiogalaxy from back in its heyday, when peer-to-peer file sharing had not yet become a problem for the RIAA. Originally, Audiogalaxy developed a FTP site index called The Borg Search. The company ran into problems when the RIAA started suing everyone connected with music sharing. They eventually settled with the RIAA and little was heard from them, until now.

With the demise of Simplify, itís nice to know thereís a worthy successor to audio streaming. Audiogalaxy is still in beta technically, but donít let that stop you from trying out this great free app. I have a huge music collection and until Apple ups the storage on iPhones to the TB level, I will always have need for apps like this. I just hope Google doesnít gobble it the same way they did Simplify.

Source: TUAW

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

lov3christian (10-20-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Always better to have options.

iPhone? More like MyPhone andrewb283's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool im gonna try this

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I remember when audiogalaxy was a music sharing site. It was the best site to get 0 day releases on albums. I miss the days of Napster and Audiogalaxy.com

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks for the news. I will take a look at it.
    I was really sad when Simplify was taken away. I've tried a lot of different apps, but the best so far (though not as good as Simplify) is Subsonic. There are some apps for iphone, one called isub, which is good. It requires some work before it is set up, but the nice thing is, that it is not restricted to pc --> iphone, but you can also access your library through your pc's browser without installing anything on the other pc.

I've tried other apps as well, but they all share some problems with huge librarys.

Well, that is my experiences so far, but I am looking forward to try this out.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,191 Times in 4,215 Posts

Simplify was awesome!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley John Wright View Post
    Ever since Google bought Simplify and ended its development, the App Store has been sadly lacking software that lets users stream their music from computer to wireless device. With the arrival of Audiogalaxy, that has now changed.

Alternatives to Audiogalaxy are available, such as Zumocast, but it is primarily a video streaming app. Audio streaming is available as well, but files are not organized, as you would expect them to be. Air Video is another content streaming app, but it does not yet include audio-streaming. This feature is sure to be part of a future update.
    Hi. Not sure where you got the idea that great audio streaming apps have been out of the App Store since Google did whatever, but the BEST audio streaming app has been in the App Store since launch (way back to 2.x days), has never been pulled for any reasons, and does the same thing as AirVideo and Audiogalaxy combined, and better. Look it up: its called OrbLive. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it!

I think you should do a follow-up apology review for OrbLive and eat your own words for not giving credit where credit is due. Such a fantastic app really shouldn't go so unnoticed.

Thanks

I'm an Orb user too. It rocks.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Makes a comeback? Really? Orblive and Zumocast are great. What's so bad about zumocasts organization of audio files? Ive never had a problem with it.

Can you select songs to download to your device inorder to prevent having to stream them over and over?
    j
    Not seeing what's so special about this "comeback." Seems to do less of the same. I'll have to take a look for myself.

Thanks

Cant belive I missed all this some how, Cool thanks

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,873 Times in 2,212 Posts

Audiogalaxy replaced my iTunes and freed up 22gbs of memory for me!

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

It works! So far it works perfectly over both WiFi and 3G. The scanning takes a while when you have as much music as me, but Simplify would sometimes take days to scan my library; it really was a poorly coded app and it took >50% of my CPU when scanning... which could take days. At this rate this scan should be done by morning. My only complaint is about playlists. I would love for this app to automagically import my iTunes playlists.
    Last edited by politicalslug; 10-19-2010 at 02:47 AM.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No disrespect meant to Orblive, but the App costs £5.99 ($9.99). Audiogalaxy appears to be free. Will definitely be checking this out.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Its cool and all but really, im sure most of you out their have old pc's laying around? What I did was make my old pc computer made it a lil nice added 2gb of ram and 3 HDD 2 100gb and 1 500gb not including the 1tb connected i set-up linuxs and am currently running that as a server for the family. It has yet to crash but i do keep no covers on it and have a nice fan running. IDK seems better then relying on someone else's server.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NessLookAlike View Post
    Hi. Not sure where you got the idea that great audio streaming apps have been out of the App Store since Google did whatever, but the BEST audio streaming app has been in the App Store since launch (way back to 2.x days), has never been pulled for any reasons, and does the same thing as AirVideo and Audiogalaxy combined, and better. Look it up: its called OrbLive. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it!

I think you should do a follow-up apology review for OrbLive and eat your own words for not giving credit where credit is due. Such a fantastic app really shouldn't go so unnoticed.
    Orb cannot handle big libraries. I've bought Orb, but it has some kind of limit in how many artists/albums/songs it will make available to you. To me it meant, that from the artists starting with "M" I could not play them.
    Subsonic is still the best app since Simplify if you have a huge library.

Thanks

does this first upload you all your media to audio galaxy server? or it justs streams from your media pc directly? also if it does stream directly from your media pc, why is that when you select a song to play on the phone, its keeps saying loading for almost 30 sec before playback starts,,, whats is it trying to do during that time, transcode???

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have subsonic on my computer and I have been using iSub for the iphone for many months. I find iSub to be much better than simplify media. It plays all of my music files without a problem. I'm really surprised that this program isn't talked about more. There's another program for the iphone called Z-Subsonic but I prefer iSub.

Green Apple
    Thanks

GREAT APP!!! just started using this and love it. works great. only thing i would like is to be incoorporated with itunes just like how simplify was.

Oh Simplify, oh how i miss you!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    Its cool and all but really, im sure most of you out their have old pc's laying around? What I did was make my old pc computer made it a lil nice added 2gb of ram and 3 HDD 2 100gb and 1 500gb not including the 1tb connected i set-up linuxs and am currently running that as a server for the family. It has yet to crash but i do keep no covers on it and have a nice fan running. IDK seems better then relying on someone else's server.
    That's not what this app does. I take it you've never used Simplify, ORBlive, or anything like those apps. Your computer with the music files acts as a server. No music is stored on their servers. Their servers are merely used to resolve your computer's address and facilitate the searching of your system's music collection. I know you haven't written an app for just your family with this capability.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Birken View Post
    Orb cannot handle big libraries. I've bought Orb, but it has some kind of limit in how many artists/albums/songs it will make available to you. To me it meant, that from the artists starting with "M" I could not play them.
    Subsonic is still the best app since Simplify if you have a huge library.
    I have a huge library and Orb handles it just fine. If you've just added a new directory with lots of media files to be scanned it might take a while for them to be added to Orb's library but they do show up eventually. If you've having library issues, you might try deleting the library file (look for an OrbMedia .db file on your root drive) and rescan the library in Orb's settings menu.

Just like Audiogalaxy and other apps that scan through folders and generate a library, it takes time to build the library so you just need to be patient.