Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone in Space!

Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
    So let me get this straight. A kid sends an iPhone into space (whatever your definition of space is, if you can see the curve of the Earth, you are in space in my book). He uses it to transmit (GPS) information. The balloon breaks some 100,000+ feet up, more than 19 miles (!) and an emergency parachute sends it screaming back to Earth at 150 mph. The battery in a separate camera dies from the cold, but the iPhone 4 continues to send GPS info back to the kid AFTER IT LANDS IN A TREE!!!! From 19+ miles UP! At 150 MPH!

So, no death grip issue? No problem with the proximity sensor? No buildup of dust that breaks the back of the case?

Are we SURE this was an iPhone 4? They don't work, you know. Everyone says so. Even a much-vaunted consumer testing group says so.

Maybe it was a better phone that LOOKS like an iPhone but that, you know, WORKS.

We need to look into this. It's probably a trick of some kind. An investigation is called for. People need to post saying it can't be, iPhone 4s don't work.

It was probably a Droid. Yeah, that's what it was. A Droid. 'Cause, you know, iPhone 4s don't work.
    Unless my eyes mistake me, you can see at the beginning of the video that its not an iPhone 4. Most likely a 3GS. /derail

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
    So let me get this straight. A kid sends an iPhone into space (whatever your definition of space is, if you can see the curve of the Earth, you are in space in my book). He uses it to transmit (GPS) information. The balloon breaks some 100,000+ feet up, more than 19 miles (!) and an emergency parachute sends it screaming back to Earth at 150 mph. The battery in a separate camera dies from the cold, but the iPhone 4 continues to send GPS info back to the kid AFTER IT LANDS IN A TREE!!!! From 19+ miles UP! At 150 MPH!

So, no death grip issue? No problem with the proximity sensor? No buildup of dust that breaks the back of the case?

Are we SURE this was an iPhone 4? They don't work, you know. Everyone says so. Even a much-vaunted consumer testing group says so.

Maybe it was a better phone that LOOKS like an iPhone but that, you know, WORKS.

We need to look into this. It's probably a trick of some kind. An investigation is called for. People need to post saying it can't be, iPhone 4s don't work.

It was probably a Droid. Yeah, that's what it was. A Droid. 'Cause, you know, iPhone 4s don't work.
    Stratosphere is not space. It's still in the earth's atmosphere.

The space shuttle doesn't even orbit in space.
    Last edited by RICO_; 10-17-2010 at 08:50 PM.

Thanks

That was really sweet. Dont think it was an i4, if you check it out while its in the back of the car, you can see the silver wrap-around.

Quote Originally Posted by NessLookAlike View Post
    Unless my eyes mistake me, you can see at the beginning of the video that its not an iPhone 4. Most likely a 3GS. /derail
    Oh, well that explains it. Of course. The 3GS works. Never mind.

As to the height- whatever you want to call it, it was HIGH. Of course, since it wasn't an i4, it's not important.
    Senior

The iPhone only was used for GPS not recording the video. But there should be someone out there willing to try it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mastuul's Avatar
    Thanks

Now that's a great science project!

Undisputed Theme Champ AnthonyGiola's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 853 Posts

Talk about father son bonding... Wish my dad had been that cool

Banned
    Thanks

I saw this yesterday on Sinfuliphone and was amazed. Yes it is a 3GS, not an iPhone 4. No there not in space, but who cares...a father and soon sent an iPhone and a camera to the upper reaches of be atmosphere and recorded it..freakin' sweet.

3GS..only for gps
    No iPhone 4
    Farthest reaches of the atmosphere

Freaking sweetness is all I can say. Kick ***

Cool story even though the article got just about everything wrong. At least it's nice to see the writer put a lot of effort into what they post!

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

hmmmm

I remember reading about some students doing this months or years ago. Can't remember.

The only difference was they used a point and shoot camera modded out to take a picture every 30 seconds or so. So i guess this one with video is a little better. They also had a prepaid cell phone to transmit the position, not an iphone.

def not an original idea. Looks fun though.

Amazing, to think that little phone went all the way into space and back, attatched only to a balloon. Us humans need giant metal spacecraft to do anything similar...

On a lighter note, someone should send this video to the Flat Earth Society

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Stratosphere is not space. It's still in the earth's atmosphere.

The space shuttle doesn't even orbit in space.
    Huh? As I type this I am in my garage which has alot of "space". Isn't everything space? lmao. Just kidding I know the whole outerspace techno. Learned the true definition from Armageddon. Lol.

Pretty cool story regardless of all the techno jumbo. The best part of the article was the fact that this was done as a father son thing. Launching a phone to track gps cords or flying a kite. Parental bonding is always a plus and since they used a iPhone for part of their setup makes this newsworthy IMO.

Cheers mate.

That's cool lol.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Retrospect's Avatar
    Thanks

Simply amazing, don't think I would ever risk my phone to do something like that though.
    Check out my theme Réalité HD: Here!
    <Donate> if you want to help me and support my themes.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    Huh? As I type this I am in my garage which has alot of "space". Isn't everything space? lmao. Just kidding I know the whole outerspace techno. Learned the true definition from Armageddon. Lol.

Pretty cool story regardless of all the techno jumbo. The best part of the article was the fact that this was done as a father son thing. Launching a phone to track gps cords or flying a kite. Parental bonding is always a plus and since they used a iPhone for part of their setup makes this newsworthy IMO.

Cheers mate.
    What would have made it even cooler if some weird alien gamma rays mutated the phone and turned it into some sort of weapon with a death ray for a flashlight led and hyper-accelerated the antenna strength so we could communicate with some creature a billion light years away who could share the secrets of immortality and invulnerability.

But then they probably would "hold the phone wrong" and drop the call and all would be lost in interstellar communication thanks to Apple.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RICO_ For This Useful Post:

krustypinoy (10-18-2010), PSYC0TIC ONE (10-18-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Very Very Cool
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

For those who think it actually went into space, think again!

If any object so
    Small
    Goes into
    Space, when
    It comes back into the earth's atmosphere, it will burn into ash..before it reaches down. It was just the upper atmosphere it has reached.

If its a 3gs, why is there a LED light shining like a beacon as mentioned in the video?

Whoever posted this article is a bold faced liar, not even a smart one. Thats not an iPhone4, maybe a 3G[s], or even a 3G. An d its only used to track GPS. Space looks like a lonely place. I think its overated....

iPhone? More like MyPhone PSYC0TIC ONE's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xenontac View Post
    If its a 3gs, why is there a LED light shining like a beacon as mentioned in the video?
    they said camera LED

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    What would have made it even cooler if some weird alien gamma rays mutated the phone and turned it into some sort of weapon with a death ray for a flashlight led and hyper-accelerated the antenna strength so we could communicate with some creature a billion light years away who could share the secrets of immortality and invulnerability.

But then they probably would "hold the phone wrong" and drop the call and all would be lost in interstellar communication thanks to Apple.
    hahaha, thanks, i needed a good laugh man!!!

hahaha
    Last edited by PSYC0TIC ONE; 10-18-2010 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast