Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PdaNet turns iPhone into Wi-Fi Hotspot

Default PdaNet turns iPhone into Wi-Fi Hotspot

Turning a smartphone into a Wi-Fi hotspot is nothing new, unless you have an iPhone. Today, June Fabrics released PdaNet, a jailbreak app that turns any iPhone into a Wi-Fi hotspot regardless of what network happens to be available. Obviously, an Edge connection will be painfully slow, but a decent 3G signal should provide enough bandwidth for most users to surf the web comfortably. According to June Fabric’s website, “PdaNet provides the fastest connection speed possible from your data service and data signal.”

With PdaNet, users can enjoy the freedom of a personal Wi-Fi hub without the additional cost that most tethering plans bring with them. Some users may not want to create a Wi-Fi hotspot in a crowded coffee shop. If this is the case, users can connect an iPhone to a laptop via USB cable. A desktop client is required for this type of connection, luckily both Mac and Windows versions are available.

According to PdaNet’s twitter feed, an iPad version is in the works. This is good news for iPad users. iOS 4.2 beta 2 was recently released to developers and the tethering preference that was present in earlier versions had been removed. This feature might have been removed by mistake, but it’s more likely that Apple removed it because of pressure from AT&T. We’ll just have to wait till November to find out if tethering makes it back into iOS 4.2 for iPad.

Source: June Fabrics

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (10-17-2010), carolinamic (10-17-2010), CaryDude (10-18-2010), delusion950 (10-17-2010), keitacannon (10-18-2010), Rob2G (10-17-2010), SkyGuy5 (10-18-2010)

Thanks

that is..............

wait for it..............

AWESOME!!!!

definitely looking into this! (i never knew you could turn a phone into a wifi hotspot so i am amazed )
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Or you can just use MyWi !

This is free though, right?

Quote Originally Posted by kalebbroo View Post
    This is free though, right?
    Last edited by didupart13; 10-17-2010 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Yep, mywi. Mywi let's you password protect your wifi connection.

this app is decent but redundant..

+1 i agree =)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAccuser View Post
    I'm sorry, but why is this front page worthy?
    Don't like it?........ Don't read it.

Quote Originally Posted by seh6183 View Post
    Seriously. And they are talking about PDAnet like we all weren't using it for a year before mywi came out. Skip this app and get mywi. PdaNet was a buggy piece of crap the last time I used it.

This site is a free source of news and information specific to apple and idevices, this is info about an app for the iPhone that not everybody knows about. If you don't like it go else where but they are posting the same thing. If the writers didn't post this stuff all the people ******** about this post would be ******** because it's takes to long for new "relevant" "news worthy" post to happen. Quit ********. If you don't like it then don't read it.
    Last edited by Rob2G; 10-17-2010 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Rob2G For This Useful Post:

1hihum (10-17-2010), bblaser68 (10-29-2010), carolinamic (10-17-2010), cctd (10-18-2010), chris102192 (10-17-2010), Cocheese (10-17-2010), g12007 (10-17-2010), hummer2134 (10-17-2010), jiniej (10-17-2010), keitacannon (10-18-2010), Robes1 (10-18-2010), rubenmer5 (10-17-2010), soti2009 (10-18-2010), soulthoughts (10-17-2010), walktovanish (10-17-2010), YoungDKP (10-17-2010)

Thanks for posting this article. I purchased PDANET about a year ago and will be the first to admit it had bugs when trying to connect, however; I didn't want to go and purchase MyWi when I already had an app that allowed me to tether even though it might take a few attempts. I'm glad to see that the developers havent abandoned this app and made updates to it. It works quite beautifully now. Cheers to that. Oh and you can password protect your connection and set the signal strength. I typically just connect via USB keeps me phone charged up and the devices temp down. Nice job.

Exactly!!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to drjailbreakMD For This Useful Post:

Conas3g (10-17-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by xwinger View Post
    that is..............

wait for it..............

AWESOME!!!!

definitely looking into this! (i never knew you could turn a phone into a wifi hotspot so i am amazed )
    That is................................................ .......
    Wait for it................................................ .........
    Called............................................ ...
    MYWI!...

Way better than PDAnet. I've owned both. Mywi doesn't require a desktop client. Mywi Is way faster, despite PDAnets "claims" that they are. Mywi's Ui is much easier as well....GOD, and guess what.... we've had it for quite some time now.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rhekt For This Useful Post:

Conas3g (10-17-2010)

MyWi is ten times better. PDAnet is a buggy piece of ****.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to tugharris For This Useful Post:

Conas3g (10-17-2010)

Thanks for the news. Don't get these guy bitchin about something they just don't have to read! If your that clued up you would have read the title and not gone any further.

This is a great site for people of all levels of skill don't ruin it

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to manickbarry For This Useful Post:

cookbenj (10-17-2010), evileclipse (10-17-2010), hummer2134 (10-17-2010), Rob2G (10-19-2010), Robes1 (10-18-2010)

This is what we readers of Modmyi call a slow news day

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vruls For This Useful Post:

Conas3g (10-17-2010), durdan1 (10-18-2010), iFrosty (10-17-2010)

Thanks

Well this app has no consistency and doesn't work half the time. it is useless. MyWi is flawless. I just wish there was a SBSettings toggle for it.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to VBLUE42 For This Useful Post:

Conas3g (10-17-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by VBLUE42 View Post
    Well this app has no consistency and doesn't work half the time. it is useless. MyWi is flawless. I just wish there was a SBSettings toggle for it.
    +100 for MyWi SBSettings toggle

24. The Following User Says Thank You to justinpotter81 For This Useful Post:

Conas3g (10-17-2010)

Used to use this in the edge days of the iPhones, worked as a socks proxy then let's see how it works now.

This isn't free, they give you a 14 day trial then start blocking all ssl sessions. It is 29 bucks to purchase.
    Last edited by JedixJarf; 10-17-2010 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justinpotter81 View Post
    +100 for MyWi SBSettings toggle
    +1 billion on the SBS toggle LOL

i find mywi the buggy one....
    ive always used PDAnet this is great news for me
    dont you hate it when someones signature looks like someones post?

what a game

28. The Following User Says Thank You to cookbenj For This Useful Post:

soulthoughts (10-17-2010)

I've used PDAnet previously prior to purchasing MyWi and yes PDAnet was definitely buggy. MyWi gets my vote as it's ease of use has no parallel.

I can't see how anyone can say MiWi is buggy. I purchased it months ago and have never had a problem. PDAnet worked sometimes and sometimes not. Unless they have totally revamped it, I don't understand all the press. Either way these programs can be a life savor when you need a internet connection and the iphone is just not practical for what you need to do.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast