+ Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PdaNet turns iPhone into Wi-Fi Hotspot

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I will give it a try see how it works. Iam having problems mywi keeps giving out cleaning up error then the phone has to be restarted. iphone 3g
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I will give it a try see how it works. Iam having problems mywi keeps giving out cleaning up error then the phone has to be restarted.
    iphone 3g
    Last edited by Iam King; 10-17-2010 at 12:24 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

maybe this is cheaper than mywi. still, i already got mywi, so has pretty much every other jailbreaker. so this is kinda silly

Green Apple
    Thanks

You kids are harsh! You can skip the article if it doesn't concern you.

I just downloaded PDAnet Free Version and didn't pay a cent and it works PERFECTLY on my MacBook Pro and there is NO Way I am paying $20 got mywi no matter how much better it is to do the same thing. I have use both and while mywi is a bit more convenient not $20 more convenient.

Thanks for the article gentlemen

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Casetay For This Useful Post:

aaauustiinnn (10-17-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Umm... I've owned PdaNet for iPhone for more than a year and it's been available for far longer, but I appreciate the news.
    Last edited by CZroe; 10-17-2010 at 11:24 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Halten77;5519905]*Sigh* before finding a post to flame on, read my other posts. I meant it needs iTunes for USB

Not "flaming". I was responding to your article and you must have posted a correction before I hit submit reply. I posted because your original post was a bit misleading. And for thoes that read and take for gospel what is posted here that may have confused a few noobs. Either way you did change it to read USB thanks.

D

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kuhndsn For This Useful Post:

Waleed786 (10-17-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    Hasn't PDAnet been out forever
    You haven't even figure it out that PDAnet was just updated?

Quote Originally Posted by aaauustiinnn View Post
    you all are dumb. MyWi is expensive and PDANet is free and it works perfectly fine. Im actually on the road now surfing the net using PDANET as a hotspot and its really fast.
    How can we be "dumb" when we have different experiences with MyWi and PDAnet?
    Last edited by awesomeSlayer; 10-17-2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to awesomeSlayer For This Useful Post:

Rob2G (10-17-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The main difference between this and MyWi is that this existed before native tethering support and works on iOS2.x. Even if it didn't act as a host before, it did route over WiFi just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    Used to use this in the edge days of the iPhones, worked as a socks proxy then let's see how it works now.

This isn't free, they give you a 14 day trial then start blocking all ssl sessions. It is 29 bucks to purchase.
    No. That's why I bought it. The paid version works like a true Internet connection capable of carrying any standard protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
    I use mywi to tether to my work laptop every day. It does not have itunes on it, and it still works. So I am not sure what you are saying here? It works as a basic adhoc network no desktop client is needed.
    You're not FOLLOWING. The article says that you can use WiFi OR use a cable but you need a software client installed for wired tethering. This guy points out that MyWi requires a software component for wired tethering too and you go jumping back to WiFi. Why?!

Also, it is possible to get away with tehtering without iTunes be either installing it, running tethering, and uninstalling it or extracting the 32 or 64 bit mobile device support files from the main installer.

Quote Originally Posted by chris102192 View Post
    Yeah I'll just stick to mywi, this mess is "free" yet requires a license, which will run you $29 bucks. Oh $15.95 for a limited time!

Imma stick to MyWi, which has been doing it great this whole time, and is 10 bucks cheaper.
    What? Like MyWi never had promotional pricing?

Quote Originally Posted by charlyc View Post
    I am glad this news was front page since I did not know about the update. PdaNet was the first and it's still going.
    Same here. They were the first I know of with no proxy server so they were the ones that got my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
    Hmm never tried the usb tether feature on mywi.
    It's really the native USB tethering support in the iPhone itself.
    Last edited by CZroe; 10-17-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I remember getting Mywi for free. Now I have to pay $20?
    I have used Pdanet tethered and it works good, but having it tethered
    does suck. If Pdanet makes a good FREE product, than maybe MYWI will go down in price.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aaauustiinnn View Post
    you all are dumb. MyWi is expensive and PDANet is free and it works perfectly fine. Im actually on the road now surfing the net using PDANET as a hotspot and its really fast.
    Actually, It's already caused my 3GS to Restart itself twice. Probably on a timer since it's not registered/paid for. Not so perfect.
    Last edited by thu6; 10-17-2010 at 11:44 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

MMI needs to create a down rank option. Similar to engadget then, add it next to the thanks button. That way we can down rank the morons and trolls on here. Especially those clowns that want to post their stupid thoughts about why topics shouldn't be posted to the main page.

Like others said, if you don't like it, don't read it. It may not be useful to you, but it may be useful to someone else.

iPhone? More like MyPhone brbortscheller's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalebbroo View Post
    Or you can just use MyWi 4.0!
    MyWi 4.0 costs over $20.00 with only a 3 day free-trial. PDANet is free. MyWi may work better but again, $20.00. It is TOTALLY not worth it.

Thanks

first line of business :

im gonns atart prunning some of these jerk posts soon accompanied by warnings to people who dont follow forum rules....an opinion is an opinion but conducting yourself like a child just because you dont like the news does not give you the right to insult the writer, the writers content , or another member....

second line of business:

if this creates a wifi hotspot and not an adhoc one where i can connect devices that dont cater to adhoc networking, sign me up! i paid for my MyWi and im loving it but it is limited to devices who can accept adhoc
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Android has this feature built in... this is one of the reasons I sold my iPhone 4 to get an android phone. Love the iPhone but android 2.2 is just as good if not better without all the restrictions.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tony604 View Post
    Android has this feature built in... this is one of the reasons I sold my iPhone 4 to get an android phone. Love the iPhone but android 2.2 is just as good if not better without all the restrictions.
    Cool. Only prob is if your on verizon. Your either on data or phone call. We liked the droid during our beta test but with a unlocked iPhone it was a few steps behind. Also the bat life was 30% more consumption than the i4. The i4 does have tether built in and works well. Just ATT does not let the option run at it's current time. (hence the JB options).

Thanks

nobody cares about your Android phone here, Tony.

and anything that forces MyWi to drop in price is okay in my book. I'll pay $10 for MyWi, but not $20. and I'll happily use PDANet until they revise that price.

Your move, Intelliborn.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't find this terribly interesting only because MyWi already works perfectly fine for me, but it certainly is newsworthy. I do wish the OP had addressed the pricing issue though, seems like a rather significant piece of information to disregard.

Thanks

indeed, this page

PdaNet for iPhone Purchase Agreement

should have been included in the OP.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Halten77 View Post
    iTether, iBluever. Now there is 5 tethering apps. (There has *been)
    and dont forget tetherme which is fee and it works perfectly.

Thanks
    $20 for MyWi is very worth it considering AT&T's option is $20/monthly. Just my opinion.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to xdracco For This Useful Post:

Rob2G (10-17-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    first line of business :

im gonns atart prunning some of these jerk posts soon accompanied by warnings to people who dont follow forum rules....an opinion is an opinion but conducting yourself like a child just because you dont like the news does not give you the right to insult the writer, the writers content , or another member....

second line of business:

if this creates a wifi hotspot and not an adhoc one where i can connect devices that dont cater to adhoc networking, sign me up! i paid for my MyWi and im loving it but it is limited to devices who can accept adhoc

AFAIK, Neither PDANet nor MyWi do 'true' AP-style hotspot -- both use AdHoc. I have an Eye-Fi card for my camera that doesn't support AdHoc and it doesn't see either 'hotspot' created by these two apps. Also, I'm not sure of this 'client' talk: neither app requires a wireless 'client' other than what your native OS supports to connect to wireless adhoc networks. And I'm pretty sure I've used the USB tether feature of MyWi without iTunes being involved: OS X sees my iphone as a network device when I use MyWi, get's an IP, default gateway and DNS.

I guess the only comment I would make to the first point is yeah, insults are not needed and the OP should have noted this as an update rather than inferring this was a new app.