Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PdaNet turns iPhone into Wi-Fi Hotspot

iPhone? More like MyPhone mwr_allen's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with others that this application is nothing new to us but isn't this post about an upgrade to the application?

Also, I have used PDAnet frequently in the past when I have moved house and waited for my broadband connection to begin, sometimes for about 2 weeks or so and I never had any problems with PDAnet, I have briefly used other similar applications but have found myself always going back to PDAnet because I was comfortable with it.

Yep, mywi. Mywi let's you password protect your wifi connection.
    You can set a password with PDAnet because you set an AD HOC wireless connection and assign a password to it so that you have to enter the same password to connect to it.

Maybe avid users of MyWi have gotten so used to using it that they discard another application of similar means because it is different and they don't want to get to know it. Anyway I have always been happy with PDAnet and am glad it's getting useful updates, and attention.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mwr_allen For This Useful Post:

soulthoughts (10-17-2010)

Man there's a lot of cry babies in this forum. I don't understand why people would get angry over an article to a site YOU DONT RUN. If you don't like the news, wipe your eyes and go to another site.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to iDeadman For This Useful Post:

soulthoughts (10-17-2010)

Hasn't PDAnet been out forever
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Some people are being slightly unfair here. I agree with some of the comments, the old PDANet wasn't up to much. I have installed the new version today and it tests fine. Why all the back biting, you got shares in MYWI? ;-0

+1for the above poster. Mywi was the only tethering app, now that we have 2, we have a choice of which one we want..so this would be a good thing. Can this create an infrastructure network? If it can, I would take it over mywi.

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Why the hell are people complaining so much lately about whats posted as news around here? If you don't like it don't read it. Yes pda net is old, but did everyone forget that mywi and tehtherme got news threads when they upgraded to 4.0?

I personally think this is news worthy, tethering apps are quintessential to jailbroken iphones. So yes it makes perfect sense to make this news, or no one would know that the upgrade even happened.

I think it is funny how so many people on this site think they are critics that have some profound insight to share. News flash you are just another Internet idiot waiting in line.... So with that being said get your asss back in line and shut up...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
    +1for the above poster. Mywi was the only tethering app, now that we have 2, we have a choice of which one we want..so this would be a good thing. Can this create an infrastructure network? If it can, I would take it over mywi.
    Tetherme, now there is 3 tethering apps.
    Last edited by Captinsmooth; 10-17-2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captinsmooth For This Useful Post:

soulthoughts (10-17-2010), triniflavaforya (10-17-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Halten77's Avatar
    Thanks

For those of you saying MyWi is better than PDAnet (Although I do like MyWi better IMO) because it uses a desktop client and MyWi doesn't.... You're all wrong. MyWi in fact DOES use a desktop client. It's called iTunes. It's just "Convenient" since almost everyone already has it, but if you uninstall iTunes, MyWi will be worthless and will not be detected by your Computer.

What's Jailbreak? triniflavaforya's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanx a milli!!! I didn't know about this 1..only MyWi...trying out PDAnet now..works nicely..otherwise I wouldn't have been able to post this message!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
    Why the hell are people complaining so much lately about whats posted as news around here? If you don't like it don't read it. Yes pda net is old, but did everyone forget that mywi and tehtherme got news threads when they upgraded to 4.0?

I personally think this is news worthy, tethering apps are quintessential to jailbroken iphones. So yes it makes perfect sense to make this news, or no one would know that the upgrade even happened.

I think it is funny how so many people on this site think they are critics that have some profound insight to share. News flash you are just another Internet idiot waiting in line.... So with that being said get your asss back in line and shut up...lol

Tetherme, now there is 3 tethering apps.
    iTether, iBluever. Now there is 5 tethering apps. (There has *been)
    Last edited by Halten77; 10-17-2010 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Halten77 View Post
    For those of you saying MyWi is better than PDAnet (Although I do like MyWi better IMO) because it uses a desktop client and MyWi doesn't.... You're all wrong. MyWi in fact DOES use a desktop client. It's called iTunes. It's just "Convenient" since almost everyone already has it, but if you uninstall iTunes, MyWi will be worthless and will not be detected by your Computer.
    I use mywi to tether to my work laptop every day. It does not have itunes on it, and it still works. So I am not sure what you are saying here? It works as a basic adhoc network no desktop client is needed.

Yeah I'll just stick to mywi, this mess is "free" yet requires a license, which will run you $29 bucks. Oh $15.95 for a limited time!

Imma stick to MyWi, which has been doing it great this whole time, and is 10 bucks cheaper.

Thanks

I use mywi to tether to my work laptop every day. It does not have itunes on it, and it still works. So I am not sure what you are saying here? It works as a basic adhoc network no desktop client is needed.
    It's obvious WiFi tethering doesn't need iTunes. I'm talking about USB tethering.

I am glad this news was front page since I did not know about the update. PdaNet was the first and it's still going.

Thanks

It's obvious WiFi tethering doesn't need iTunes. I'm talking about USB tethering.
    Hmm never tried the usb tether feature on mywi.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll stay with mywi. Zero bugs for me and connects immediately. Tried PDAnet a while back and buggy was a nice word. Either way it's nice to see compitition. As far as "other" smart phones is concerned with regards to Messany's net I mean Verizon. Lol. Yes it works until u get a phone call. The bye bye Internet. ;-). Sorry Messany couldn't resist. All in good fun.

Not 100% true. My net book and car net works just fine. In addition to my daughters psp.
    Last edited by kuhndsn; 10-17-2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I used PDAnet just before iOS 3.0 came out. I need to tether every day to my laptop for work, as I use it during my hour-plus commute by train. Connections that went idle for more than 30 seconds would just hang, at random. I got my refund and switched to native tethering with the IPCC hack. As I upgraded to 3.1 etc. I used various ways of keeping native tethering which worked like a charm, and was incredibly stable.

Back on ios4.0.1 I bought MyWi as an alternative to the native Bluetooth/USB tethering (enabled by TetherMe) I was really wary based on my experience with PDANet to go with a 3rd party implementation, but I have to say it is great and stable. Both TetherMe and MyWi work great on iOS 4.1 on my iPhone 4.

Maybe PDANet has matured in the last year, but from my experience I wouldn't go near it...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    I'll stay with mywi. Zero bugs for me and connects immediately. Tried PDAnet a while back and buggy was a nice word. Either way it's nice to see compitition. As far as "other" smart phones is concerned with regards to Messany's net I mean Verizon. Lol. Yes it works until u get a phone call. The bye bye Internet. ;-). Sorry Messany couldn't resist. All in good fun.

Not 100% true. My net book and car net works just fine. In addition to my daughters psp.
    *Sigh* before finding a post to flame on, read my other posts. I meant it needs iTunes for USB TETHERING!

Hmm never tried the usb tether feature on mywi.
    USB Tethering is AWESOME! Lightning fast. Though I never used WiFi tethering because the WiFi on my iPhone 3G is broken. Thank god for USB tethering.
    Last edited by Halten77; 10-17-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Complaints & more complaints .... and NO-ONE has tried this new version!!!

It's getting more and more difficult to get any useful information without first weeding through pages of worthless crap.

If you have nothing constructive, be quiet!!!!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I seriously don;t see why everyone is so hung up about this being an article. If you already knew about this, why did you read it? It's not like the title was deceptive about what you were getting into when clicking the link. Do you ***** and moan to the New York Times if you read some news elsewhere before you read it from them too? Do you cry if THEY don;t report something "news worthy"? FFS... get over yourselves!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Give him a break, he is new, he needed something to write about!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Complaints & more complaints .... and NO-ONE has tried this new version!!!

It's getting more and more difficult to get any useful information without first weeding through pages of worthless crap.

If you have nothing constructive, be quiet!!!!
    WOW you need to get laid !!!
    Last edited by santacruzlocal; 10-17-2010 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast