+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Leaked Pic Shows Diskless MacBook Air

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
A supposedly leaked image of an early prototype MacBook Air is intensifying chatter that the new model will have no hard drive. Engadget fronted the photo late last night, claiming
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Leaked Pic Shows Diskless MacBook Air

A supposedly leaked image of an early prototype MacBook Air is intensifying chatter that the new model will have no hard drive. Engadget fronted the photo late last night, claiming that an anonymous source inside Apple told them it was of a prototype from "at least April." The prototype has the same 13-inch screen and processor as the current model in a new unibody case, in a possible indication that there will be no 11-inch model, as has long been rumored, or that the third-generation MacBook Air will come in two sizes. [UPDATE: AppleInsider's "proven" source confirms that there will be two models.]

Engadget is saying that an anonymous source sent them a picture of the prototype with the bottom case removed. It shows space for a larger battery, a 13.3-inch display with a unibody MacBook-style hinge but no space for a regular mechanical or solid-state drive. AppleInsider had reported yesterday, quoting "a person with a proven track record of pinpoint accuracy," that the new MacBook Air would have something called an "SSD Card," which would be a non-user upgradable stick of SDRAM more akin to the flash memory inside iDevices that would provide "incredibly fast boot times and 'instant-on' capabilities when waking up from sleep." So this would tend to confirm that report, though AppleInsider also claimed that it's "certain" the new MBA will have an 11.6-inch screen. Additionally, the report says that the new notebooks have been coming off assembly lines in Taiwan for a week already, and will be available next week or soon thereafter.

Observers are split on whether the traditional screen indicates that there will be two variants of the MacBook Air, or if they were merely using older hardware to prototype newer SSD card and battery designs. The source of the leaked images claims that the pictured prototype was built around April, and a picture of the System Profiler screen shows the "MacBook Air 3,1" running the same 1.86 Core 2 Duo SL9400 CPU as the current model. The new unibody enclosure, however, suggests that a redesigned 13-inch MacBook was at least contemplated. Another of AppleInsider's sources claimed that the new mini-MBA's "edges appear more defined than curved and that the side profile of the unit is slightly more wedge-shaped."

Source: AppleInsider
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 10-16-2010 at 10:01 AM.

Thanks

coooool!
    Something Hidden in iPhone 4---Steve Jobs twitter

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds pretty good, but I'm sure much like the regular Air, the price point will keep me away from it.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

Price point and too small of a display keep me away. Make a 15" damnit.
    Hmm...

Thanks

SSD card sounds pretty awesome, but the price doesn't justify to be good for me.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Theme Creator
    Thanks

If it brings down the price, I'm all for it.

Thanks

MBA and the high price just don't make sense. Less of a laptop (size/weight)=Cheaper price

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

MBA is dead.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

9. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

moon#pie (10-16-2010)

Thanks

SSD should be the only option in the MBA... I like how Apple recently put the SSD model in front of the HDD model on the website, even though its $300 more.

Im a fan of keeping the 13" display. There really is no need to touch the price, its priced perfectly if you ask me. Id rather them put more features in it than drop the price.

The MBA is a great notebook, ive been using one as my portable/beater for a few years and its great. Thinner and lighter than the specs would make you think, with a great display, backlight keyboard, fair battery life, and snappy enough performance. However, after 2 1/2 years, my hinge is getting fairly weak and it dosent support itself well with heavy turbulence on a plane. It wiggles all over the place and wants to fall down. But thats about it...

Thanks

Too pricey for what it is even though I have a 17" mbp. If they realign all the MacBook prices and stick this one around the entry level mbp, I think it'd sell more.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

That **** sucks pffff! Rather get a mbp and I bet this thing would cost almost as much a mbp too lol.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Am I missing something? They've had SSD MBAs for years now. What is so special about this?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    MBA and the high price just don't make sense. Less of a laptop (size/weight)=Cheaper price
    Are you serious? Of course the MBA is going to be more expensive than a MB or baseline MBP.
    The MBA is never going to be the cheap laptop, it's going to be the expensive/thin/lightweight/not as powerful option for those that can afford it and that really want their laptop to be as thin and light as possible.
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 10-16-2010 at 12:35 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    Am I missing something? They've had SSD MBAs for years now. What is so special about this?
    Its an "SSD Card" module that supposedly looks like a stick of RAM and allows for "instant wake" capabilities seen on the iPad/iPhone etc. as well as a slimmer profile.

And those of you talking price; Engadget posted an article yesterday with sources claiming the 11.6" model will be "significantly cheaper" than the current versions of the MBA.

I for one prefer the smaller screen size. I miss my 12" iBook screen now that I have the MBP 13. If this is cheaper and has a decent hard drive size (256 or so), I'll be on it like white on rice.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jdm.accord For This Useful Post:

mortopher (10-16-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Still need the DVD drive for me
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I hope they make an 11 in

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EskimoRuler View Post
    Still need the DVD drive for me
    Your missing the whole point of the MBA. The dvd drive is going to die.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

The DVD drive is really not needed. I'd like to see a 12 + hr battery life i3 processor 4gig ram 500 gig HD and price point around a $1k. I also like the 13". Anything smaller is blah...

Thanks

Those of you hating on the MBA...how about, don't buy one? Seriously--Apple is giving people choices. People like choice. To be perfectly honest, if I wasn't a poor college student, I'd prefer to have a Mac Pro and MBA. I only have a MBP because I'm always everywhere with my computer.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I wonder how much it will cost. Probably still over 1k so it won't compete with the high end ipads.