+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Breaks 10% PC Market Share in US

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple is now the third most popular computer in the US, with its market share topping 10% for the first time since the early 1990s. According to the latest statistics
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Breaks 10% PC Market Share in US

Apple is now the third most popular computer in the US, with its market share topping 10% for the first time since the early 1990s. According to the latest statistics from IDC, Apple shipped 24% more Macs in the third quarter of this year than they did ruing the same year, giving them 10.6% of the market and placing them just ahead of Acer and behind Dell. The iPad "halo effect" was judged to play a big role in the sales increase.

The International Data Corporation Quarterly PC Tracker survey showed that Apple shipped 1.99 million Macs during the recently ended quarter, for an increase of 24% per year at a time when the PC market as a whole grew only 3.8 %. Dell dropped 4.9% for a 23.1% market share, while HP gained 2.7% to finish first with 24.3% of the US market. Acer and Toshiba took fourth place and fifth place, respectively. However, Apple sold 91% of all computers costing over $1,000 solidifying its dominance of the high-end PC segment.

"Apple's influence on the PC market continues to grow, particularly in the US," said Bob O'Donnell, IDC's vice president for Clients and Displays, adding that "the halo effect of the [iPad] also helped propel Mac sales and moved the company into the number three position in the U.S. market." The last time Apple sold over 10% market share was in 1993, when the 25-MHz Quadra 660 sold for $2299.

Source: MacRumors

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Sweet. Moving on up.

1993 25-MHz 2299$
    2010 2.8 GHz 1999$$
    Last edited by Cer0; 10-14-2010 at 05:29 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple sold 91% of all computers costing over $1000? They are the only company where nearly their entire line is over $1000... If you want to go with Apple you have little choice in the matter.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Apple sold 91% of all computers costing over $1000? They are the only company where nearly their entire line is over $1000... If you want to go with Apple you have little choice in the matter.

The mini is about it under 1k. Not a bad item. But I got the 27in i5 instead and do not regret it one bit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    The mini is about it under 1k. Not a bad item. But I got the 27in i5 instead and do not regret it one bit.
    Yes.

About time that happen. Apple might break in the PC market even deeper.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeSlayer View Post
    Yes.

About time that happen. Apple might break in the PC market even deeper.
    Yep, guess we will see if Apple has any surprises at this upcoming event.

Thanks

Apple breaks your FACE!

no but seriously i haz macs
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    Apple breaks your FACE!

no but seriously i haz macs
    I'm hurt, but seriously I love macs
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EskimoRuler View Post
    I'm hurt, but seriously I love macs
    I know, I ♥ my Mac! Come on some PC guy fight with me about it!
    Username is 3GS, but theres stuff past that:

iPhone 4
    iPad
    Macbook Pro

Thanks

Immagine when they put a USB port on the ipad. Then start couting those figures in as computers. Or do these reflect ipads as well?

Thanks

No **** apple sells 91% of computers over $1000 I can't name a Mac off the too of my head that's less then $1000!!!! I just bought I Dell for $1100 and the equivalent in a Mac is $2700 such a rip

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

im going to be part of that 10.6% soon at the moment mines in Transit at INCHEON, KR. does anyone know how long it will take to go from there to the middle of the UK?
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Considering PC has ruled the industry for as long as it has, this is a great feat, Apple should be proud! Plus, it can only go up from here.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to steve-z17 For This Useful Post:

coolguy742 (10-15-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Doom! Doom I say! First they get liquid metal, now they're taking over the computer market!

LOL, it is pretty cool that Apple is starting to get a large share of the computer market.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy742 View Post
    Doom! Doom I say! First they get liquid metal, now they're taking over the computer market!

LOL, it is pretty cool that Apple is starting to get a large share of the computer market.
    Not to be a pessimist, but 10% of the market is not a large share...

Apple has a large share of the smart phone market. That is MORE than fair to say, Computer market? Not even close...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks

If apple would just lower there Computer prices i think they would sell more. I have a Mac book pro 17" connected via 27" monitor and a Mac Book pro 13", I would love to upgrade my old 17" to the New i7, But to much money.

Thanks

I for one am not excited about this at all. The more percent of the market machines running OSX begin to cover, the more software developers will focus on it. I don't mean to offend anyone or start any arguments, but I'm a Windows guy and always will be (1. Their machines are about 1/7th the price for the exact same hardware 2. We have these nifty things called "viruses" which keep -for the most part- stupid people off the internet) and I would hate to have to start using virtual machines to run my favorite apps.

Thanks

+1

I'm a windows guy who uses macs at work, and have a small love affair with MBP's (it's a love/hate relationship. While I love the design cues and chic functionality of apple products, me not being to get my hands in the case for some tweaking without voiding the warranty is the kiss of death. That and paying so much money for what essentially ends up being last years tech anyway. Apple lost the only viable reason for the price premium when they started using PC architecture. 1000 bucks for a laptop with integrated graphics - fail. 2000 for a laptop that can't outpace LAST years mid tier Sager? Again, fail. I suppose if I could rebel efi an alienware m17x with 2x 5870's I should be able to charge 4500 for it?

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9