Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon to Sell 3G iPads with MiFi

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Verizon to Sell 3G iPads with MiFi

Apple announced today that Verizon Wireless and AT&T will both will begin selling 3G iPads in their stores on October 28. In an interesting twist, Verizon is bundling iPads with its MiFi mobile 3G hotspot device - which it's offering at a deep discount - and offering a new, cheaper data plan. Following close on the heels of rumors about an arrangement for Verizon to sell the iPhone, the news appears to indicate a closer working relationship between Verizon and Apple.

The Novatel MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot is a portable, battery-powered EV-DO radio with a wireless base station built into it that allows you to make "a personal Wi-Fi cloud" as Verizon's press release puts it. You can connect up to five WiFi-enabled devices, so you can also use it to connect your laptop on the go.. when you're not using your new iPad that is. Verizon claims that the MiFi 2200's rechargeable battery will give up to four hours of active use and 40 hours of standby time.

Verizon's prices for its bundles are the same as the 3G iPad at AT&T:
    • iPad 16 GB + MiFi=$629
    • iPad 32 GB + MiFi=$729
    • iPad 64 GB + MiFi=$829

Given that the MiFi retails for $269 without contract, this means that Verizon's cutting $130 off the price in order to compete with AT&T. A 1GB data plan is available without a contract for $20 a month, which is a pretty good deal compared to the normal $40 for 250MB and $60 for 5GB plans. Especially given that you get the ability to connect more than just one device to Verizon's much more widespread 3G network, this is should sell lots of iPads.

Source: AppleInsider
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 10-14-2010 at 09:42 AM.

That was unexpected.

Woah! Maybe all those rumors that have been circulating for years now about the Verizon iPhone are true.... nahh doubt it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

WOW! Who expected this at all!?

A strategic partnership between Apple and Verizon, never thought we'd see the day. That's a great deal on data compared to the BS tiered data that AT&T offers..

may be this is new begging of VZ+Apple love....and we may get Red Iphone 5G next year..

Green Apple
    Thanks

So does this mean AT&T will be offering that same data plan price to current iPad owners instead of 250mb for $15 and 2g for $25?

Thanks

Where's the white iphone4????? lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Acciavatti View Post
    The Novatel MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot is a portable, battery-powered EV-DO radio with a wireless base station built into it that allows you to make "a personal Wi-Fi cloud" as Verizon's press release puts it. You can connect up to five WiFi-enabled devices, so you can also use it to connect your laptop on the go.. when you're not using your new iPad that is. Verizon claims that the MiFi 2200's rechargeable battery will give up to four hours of active use and 40 hours of standby time.
    It's funny, watching the folks over at Engadget get hyped about the MiFi basically allowing internet connection tethering to multiple devices, which is something the iPad is totally in no way able to do at all ever, right? They've obviously never heard of MyWi. I was lucky enough to have had the good sense to pounce on AT&T's Unlimited Data $30/month deal when it came out, so I'm just riding the MyWi awesome (USB Tethering and 5+ wirelessly tethered devices) all the way to the bank.

Having said that, Verizon is charging $130 for the MiFi device (for a total of $630 for the iPad WiFi 16GB and MiFi device) and does 1GB/$20, whereas a normal iPad 3G runs for $630, can do REAL GPS, and AT&T does 2GB/$25 according to their website.

Why this isn't as good as so many people are hyping it:

• the lack of real GPS in the WiFi-only model is a deal breaker
    • only getting half the data allowance from Verizon for the price
    • the MiFi's lousy 4-hour lifespan compared to the iPad's 10

It's a good start on Verizon's part, but it's just not good enough.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NessLookAlike For This Useful Post:

Dash-2 (10-14-2010), Poseidon79 (10-14-2010), pwizzy1mic (10-14-2010)

Shouldn't this read they will be selling the iPad Wifi NOT the 3G...
    8 gig iPhone Edge 2G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using bootneuter and blackra1n.
    8 gig iPhone 3G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using Whited00r CFW
    16 gig iPhone 3GS (new bootrom): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/limera1n.
    16 gig Wifi iPad first day iPad JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig Wifi/3G iPad first day iPad UNLKD/JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig iPhone 4(first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/greenpois0n
    Apps: 157 installed 25 developed.

Thanks

Maybe all the Verizon rumors are true and all the Messany haters will eat crow.

Quote Originally Posted by NessLookAlike View Post

Why this isn't as good as so many people are hyping it:

• the lack of real GPS in the WiFi-only model is a deal breaker
    • only getting half the data allowance from Verizon for the price
    • the MiFi's lousy 4-hour lifespan compared to the iPad's 10

It's a good start on Verizon's part, but it's just not good enough.
    Bingo. And I bet Samsung's Galaxy Tab team are on a bridge somewhere about to jump off upon hearing this news. US's two largest carriers having the iPad in store pretty much kills their tablet before it even arrives. It better be $299 or less to even have a snowball's chance in hell.

Does anyone know if the indirect verizon retail stores will be able to sell the ipad?? My dad own 2 wirelesszone verzion franchise stores and I might just not have to take a loan out for college if my dad can sell the ipad.... and the verizon iphone. But if he cant sell either ill be f*cked!

Yes, it does say 3G iPad in the above article, but when you read the source article from AppInsider is says iPad Wifi. Now lets flame the Modmyi writer!!! Just kidding...

EDIT: It actually says "Verizon will carry all 6 versions of the Ipad" but post only the prices of the WIFI model bundled with MIFI.
    Last edited by tkawika; 10-14-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord;
    Bingo. And I bet Samsung's Galaxy Tab team are on a bridge somewhere about to jump off upon hearing this news. US's two largest carriers having the iPad in store pretty much kills their tablet before it even arrives. It better be $299 or less to even have a snowball's chance in hell.
    Nope $400 w/ 2 year contract $650 without. Maybe a wifi-only model they plan to eventually roll out will be cheaper (:

T-Mobile’s Galaxy Tab Price Gets Outed – $400 with Contract | AndroidGuys
    Last edited by SnowLeo; 10-14-2010 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The horrible battery life with the MiFi is the deal breaker... plus that would mean you'd be carrying around three devices... your phone, your MiFi and your iPad. Eh. No thanks.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Again, the killer here is CDMA which sucks battery life like no other. If it were a GSM 3G mobile hot spot then it would likely get around 7 or maybe even 8 hours of continuous connectivity.

OR go Virgin Mobile MyFi for 40.00 unlimited data and pay as you go with no contract

These capped data plans are for the birds. I have an AT&T and Verizon plan and they both are unlimited. I don't abuse... but I wouldn't have a capped plan.
    8 gig iPhone Edge 2G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using bootneuter and blackra1n.
    8 gig iPhone 3G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using Whited00r CFW
    16 gig iPhone 3GS (new bootrom): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/limera1n.
    16 gig Wifi iPad first day iPad JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig Wifi/3G iPad first day iPad UNLKD/JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig iPhone 4(first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/greenpois0n
    Apps: 157 installed 25 developed.

me i don't care what they do. i cancelled my at&t contract paid them ETF fees ,got my self a simple mobile sim card with a $ 40 plan no contract. save your self a bunch of money.sounds like a geico commercial hahahahah.
    Last edited by zozodouce; 10-14-2010 at 11:17 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I will stick with AT&T for my Ipad's service. VZ charges $20 for 1gb with 20 dollar overage after 1gb or $35 for 3GB. VZ is clearly more expensive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast