Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Exclusivity to End in Germany

Hybrid View

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default iPhone Exclusivity to End in Germany

One nation after the next is losing iPhone exclusivity among the wireless carriers in their neck of the woods. Next on the list - Germany.

As it now stands, Vodafone may pry away the exclusive hold by Deutsche Telekom (T-Mobile's parent company) on the iPhone as early as October 28th. That's according to Macerkopf.de - a German news source for Mac addicts that reportedly received word of the forthcoming carrier upheaval yesterday. If the reports are true, ads for the Vodafone iPhone 4 could surface within days.

The loss of iPhone exclusivity would be significant to Deutsche Telekom, which dominates the mobile landscape in Germany, accounting for some 37 million customers. By comparison, Vodafone has 34.9 million subscribers. But in recent weeks, it has become increasingly apparent that a major mobile shakeup was forthcoming. Deutsche Telekom began feverishly rolling out discounts, including breaks on monthly payment plans for new customers with a two year contract - an obvious attempt to attract new customers before other options reached the Germany iPhone marketplace.

In Europe, iPhone exclusivity deals are likely to become less and less prevalent, as freedom of competition is greatly respected by both law and business. Two years ago, in fact, French law cracked down on Apple's exclusive deal with France Telecom's Orange - a move that ultimately introduced more competitive practices that, over time, have benefited Apple with a greater iPhone market share in France.

Macerkopf.de (Google Translation)

The iPhone should not be exclusive. I was always against this "apple principle". It's consumers paying money and making all of you (business) billions.

So why punishing me to stick to 1 provider? I should have the choice to choose whatever carrier I want to use my iPhone with.

But like everything else in life, every bad thing has their up side. If not for "exclusivity", jail-breaking would've taken longer to come into play
    Don't live by other people's rules... Live by your OWN!!!
    Why settle for less if you can have sooo much more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Devilish4eveR View Post
    The iPhone should not be exclusive. I was always against this "apple principle". It's consumers paying money and making all of you (business) billions.

So why punishing me to stick to 1 provider? I should have the choice to choose whatever carrier I want to use my iPhone with.

But like everything else in life, every bad thing has their up side. If not for "exclusivity", jail-breaking would've taken longer to come into play

yes you do have a choice. 1-unlock your phone. 2-cancel your at&t contract.3-get a plan fron tmobile or simple mobile and you're good to go.that's what i did i paid 295$ for early termination fees to at&t now i'm free to do whatever i want with my iphone4.

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    yes you do have a choice. 1-unlock your phone. 2-cancel your at&t contract.3-get a plan fron tmobile or simple mobile and you're good to go.that's what i did i paid 295$ for early termination fees to at&t now i'm free to do whatever i want with my iphone4.
    Yeaaah, I did like that too.....

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Devilish4eveR View Post

although we maybe paying for it, apple will continue to do what they do because everything they seem to make does absolutely great on the market. They have seen no incentive to change there ways. I can understand from their point of view why they are trying to control how people use there product, i may not agree with it, but i understand. Its just being american, Take all the money you can no matter what it takes
    - and then dont do any exercise or eat healthy
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Sie berichten sogar deutsche Gerüchte?

(You even report German rumors?)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

Carter454 (10-06-2010)

Exclusivity is eventually gonna fall everywhere it's just gonna be a fact that we will all have to get use to and stop whining and ******** about Messany because he is reporting what every one else Is talking about. So keep it up Messany I like reading ur stories too

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    Exclusivity is eventually gonna fall everywhere it's just gonna be a fact that we will all have to get use to and stop whining and ******** about Messany because he is reporting what every one else Is talking about. So keep it up Messany I like reading ur stories too

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    There's nothing wrong with enjoying fiction every now and then but some of us like news to be well... news.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

mortopher (10-06-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

For those of you Verizonites reading this article thinking you'll be getting the iPhone soon......think again. Not gonna happen. Now go cry!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

I wish it would end here in the US so I could stop unlocking all my friends t mobile iPhones.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Hope AT&T exclusive in the US will end soon....just a dream

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Maybe for iPhone 6

Thanks

Default iPhone 4 Exclusivity will end soon everywere
    I think it will end in all major apple markets, because the iphone prices must go down for not losing market share against android an others.

The first step was making the iphone something special and not everyone can have it, so they made a hype, but now you cant make money whith a hype because now, now you must give everyone the chance to get the iPhone to a normal price and an normal contract.
    So they need the second step, a wider spread, whicht cant be reached with exclusivity.

In Austria (know ans a testing market for sellphone producers, because of its good mobile networka and the small size and small population of 9 million) all mobile carrier will have the iphone till end of the year.

T-Mobile Austria and Orange lose the exclusivity and 3 ("drei", Hutchison) and A1 (Telekom Austria) get it between 1. October and 31. Dezember.

So it wont take long that German, American and other carrier lose its exclusivity in their country.

The loss of iPhone exclusivity would be significant to Deutsche Telekom, which dominates the mobile landscape in Germany, accounting for some 37 million customers. By comparison, Vodafone has 34.9 million subscribers. But in recent weeks, it has become increasingly apparent that a major mobile shakeup was forthcoming. Deutsche Telekom began feverishly rolling out discounts, including breaks on monthly payment plans for new customers with a two year contract - an obvious attempt to attract new customers before other options reached the Germany iPhone marketplace.

Thanks for the copy/paste, I totally didn't read that the first time around.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Lmao!