Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Netflix App Now Supports Video Out

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exo128 View Post
    I'm watching Nip/Tuck on my 46" LED in HD. I hook up my iPhone 4 component cables(HD compatible) and noticed serious degradation and lots of pixelation. I'm assuming NetFlix lowers the quality suited for the iPhone screen which looks sharp on the phone, but needs to change the resolution for video output.

And yes I'm using wifi(10mbs)

If anyone else has a better experience, please let me know
    I've never really compared any video, but have you loaded a video on to you iPhone 4 memory and played it on your TV? I think that would be step one in figuring out whether the iPhone output or netflix app is the culprit. You should be able to record some HD video right on the phone and play it back on your TV as a quick and dirty test.

If it does turn out to be the Netflix app, my assumption is that they haven't allowed for the netflix app to change video quality download from standard (iphone viewing) to HD output.

Quote Originally Posted by goodluck4287 View Post
    My boss got an Apple TV by mail and let me try it out for a weekend. Pretty sure the box said 720p was the max quality.
    720- is max. You are correct. That was everyone's biggest gripe about the Apple TV. Funny thing is that I don't think Netflix streams in 1080p anyway!
    Last edited by sziklassy; 10-05-2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool! Now I can't wait until I get
    NetFlix. I use i4iphones.info

Quote Originally Posted by aimetti View Post
    what cables do you guys use?
    with resupported you can use any?
    default you need the apple cord? Is there any iphone to HDMI cables out there as well?

Thx
    Here's a good solution:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DK9LB0/ref=oss_product]Amazon.com: Scosche sneakPEAK Audio/Video Cable for iPad/iPod/iPhone: Electronics[/ame]

It's RCA. I've heard the Component is a bit better quality but I haven't tried it. RCA is on every TV out there I think.

Only problem is iPhone4 video out via composite or component is only around 520p. There is an adapter for the iPad/iPhone4 which outputs to 720p I think but doesn't support many features and won't charge or output audio. Pretty worthless.

I'm watching Dexter on Netflix right now on my 56" DLP set using this cable and it looks pretty good. Not as good as the new AppleTV though. Personally I think I'd rather throw the cable in my travel bag and keep it simple while traveling and watch with my iPhone, but I may try bringing the AppleTV as someone suggested and see if I think it's worth bringing. Who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley John Wright View Post
    Of course I’ll need the right cables and a good Wi-Fi signal to do it.
    ...not to mention an iPhone 4 or 4th gen iPod.

I just signed up for a NetFlix account and was planning on hooking up my familiy's iPhone 3Gs and 2nd gen iPod to our TVs and watch NetFlix.

I haven't got the AV cables yet, but if NetFlix to a TV is limited to only later iDevices, then the cable won't do me any good.

What are the chances that NetFlix will release an update that will provide older iDevices with NetFlix output to TV.

What's the JB app to ouput the iPhone display to a TV?

I just might have to step up to an AppleTV.
    Last edited by vovillamor; 10-05-2010 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lungs View Post
    I have a 3GS and it is JB. I have a netflix account. Do I need a special app to do video out?

I was thinking of getting these cables, any other options?

Apple Composite AV Cable - Apple Store (U.S.)

Thanks for the help.
    I would recommend the Apple composite cables. I know some others have tried non-apple composite cables with mixed success. If you are jailbroken, I would recommend TVout2mirror (free, available via Cydia) which will output anything from your iphone to the televsion via the apple composite cables. If configured correctly, it will also blank your iphone screen during video playback, while connected to the tv to help save battery life.

For more information regarding the composite cables (pros and cons of apple vs other brands) and for informatio on tvout2mirror, visit:

iPhone TVOut2
    iPhone Landscape TV Out :: Index

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with tvout2mirror, or Apple composite AV cables.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lungs View Post
    I have a 3GS and it is JB. I have a netflix account. Do I need a special app to do video out?

I was thinking of getting these cables, any other options?

Apple Composite AV Cable - Apple Store (U.S.)

Thanks for the help.
    I bought the same cables and they work great. Also my tv player in my truck came with iPod/iPhone cables (Jensen) and thoes cables work just as well. The app I use is TvOutTuner in cydia. My entire iPhone and all the apps transfer to the tv. Works great.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

awesome
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Thanks

Why can't iPhone 3GS and ipt3 have the video out too? They are more than capable.

Quote Originally Posted by SnR View Post
    Why can't iPhone 3GS and ipt3 have the video out too? They are more than capable.
    I should have mentioned in my last post that I am using video out with no problems on my 3GS. I was able to do this before the Netflix update with the Apple composite AV cable and a jailbroken iPhone with tvout2 mirror. I have no idea regarding the ipt3.

Why did they only enable video out on the iPhone 4? I have a 3GS and the Apple video cable and it tells my that it's not supported. WTH!?!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    What are my options with IOS 3.1.2?

What about Mexico Netflix service
    is it available?

Thanks

I have unsupported cables and mine still works with the new netflix. I'm on iPhone 4 to note.

And I'm 4.1 not jailbroken
    Last edited by stlcaddie; 10-06-2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I've never really compared any video, but have you loaded a video on to you iPhone 4 memory and played it on your TV? I think that would be step one in figuring out whether the iPhone output or netflix app is the culprit. You should be able to record some HD video right on the phone and play it back on your TV as a quick and dirty test.

If it does turn out to be the Netflix app, my assumption is that they haven't allowed for the netflix app to change video quality download from standard (iphone viewing) to HD output.

720- is max. You are correct. That was everyone's biggest gripe about the Apple TV. Funny thing is that I don't think Netflix streams in 1080p anyway!
    Great suggestion. I captured a 2 minute video to play on the LED and admittedly, it does look much better than the Netflix stream. I then took a movie, (Eagle Eye) converted to 720p and transferred to the iPhone to play back. They're both not quite blu-ray quality but much better than the netflix app.

At this point, I've got to assume it's the app; I use netflix on my ps3 and the quality is perfect. Maybe there'll be an update or a jb tweak to keep the original quality.

I

For anyone looking to purchase av cables for video out, I would highly recommend the component cables (additional blue/green/ cables) over the standard composite. Composite does not support HD, and would further degrade the video quality.

I believe the components are pretty much the same price as composites
    Last edited by exo128; 10-06-2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Many thanks to all that confirmed on the apple cables and especially on the TVOut2 - "Mirror" TVOut!

I was able to see movies and videos through the ipod app that I uploaded through iTunes but it did not work with the Netflix app until I loaded the TVOut2. Fantastic!

There was a problem at first with TVOut2 in that Netflix had only sound and no video. Problem easily solved by reading on their forum.

For apps that natively support video out such as NetFlix, you need to turn TVOutTuner to Screen Off mode or you'll get audio only.
    Again fellows, thank you for the recommendations.

I wonder if all this works on the ipod touch as my son has one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheReliq View Post
    Yeah, problem with streaming on vacation is that you have to be in "your own" country when you do it. I'm in the U.K. right now visiting family and friends and NetFlix is TOTALLY NOT working over here. Bummer. :-(
    Another time just use a VPN connection to get around that. I use it all the time for Netflix here in Denmark

I have an apple composite cable with my iPhone 4. I have tried video out with and without TVOUT2 but both ways I get audio and no video. All my other apps work fine on the screen. Did netflix disable this tweak?

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12