Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jack Torrents Accepted on App Store

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Jack Torrents Accepted on App Store
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0U8EIieY5M&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - IS Drive - Available on the iPhone App Store[/ame]

Jack Torrents, an app for managing downloads on the torrent service of ImageShack.com, is now available on the App Store under the name "IS Drive." Either as part of the recent liberalization of the approval process, or because reviewers genuinely missed the fact that it could be used for BitTorrent downloads, this is the first torrent-related app to make it to the App Store.

Apps with similar functionality - such as Drivetrain and µTorrent - have been rejected in the past by Apple. "Because this category of applications is often used for the purpose of infringing third party rights," read an email to the developers of µTorrent, "we have chosen to not publish this type of application to the App Store." As a result, both apps ended up on Cydia, as did TorrentTRAK, a remote control app for the desktop Transmission BitTorrent client.

Derek Kepner's Jack Torrents app has also been available on Cydia for some time. In addition to controlling file transfers on the ImageShack Torrent Drive service, the app can also be adapted to manage downloads on torrent sites like IsoHunt and Mininova (though this functionality has been hidden on IS Drive), and can be used to add .torrent links found on the Web to the ImageShack download queue. Derek decided to submit Jack Torrents to the App Store after reading the updated approval guidelines. "I always had the thought that if I didn't call the app a 'torrent client', Apple would probably let it through the review process," he said in an interview with TorrentFreak. "After all, there is no real torrenting happening on the client side. It's not a torrent client. It's an ImageShack Drive client."

IS Drive is $4.99 on the App Store. Subscribers to any ImageShack package, including the $8 month-by-month one, are not subject to the 2-active-torrent-at-once restriction applied to free accounts.

Source: TorrentFreak
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 10-03-2010 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks

Thumbs down Thats it
    I come to modmyi to see things like new jailbreaks, warnings, how the dev team is doing, special app's, new themes. But instead you show this crap, 95% of the Jailbreak population already know about this.
    Last edited by BlackDrag0n; 10-03-2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: To give more details

Interesting
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Thanks

I think this is good and terrible.
    Good: File Sharing/Upload/Download Personal files
    Bad: Illegal activity.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brbortscheller View Post
    Haha I'm totally getting that! How long before it gets kicked off the store? (yay first!)
    1. Why are you laughing, he didn't make a joke.
    2. How would anyone know when it gets kicked
    3. No one cares that you got first comment

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackDrag0n For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (10-04-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDrag0n View Post
    I come to modmyi to see things like new jailbreaks, warnings, how the dev team is doing, special app's, new themes. But instead you show this crap, 95% of the Jailbreak population already know about this.
    I know, right? But still, it is nice hearing about Cydia developers getting apps in the App Store and their insight into the process.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NessLookAlike For This Useful Post:

creolesoul (10-04-2010)

Wow, Apple is letting everything in the appstore now, even stuff that's primary purpose is illegal
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone brbortscheller's Avatar
    Thanks

1. Why are you laughing, he didn't make a joke.
    2. How would anyone know when it gets kicked
    3. No one cares that you got first comment
    I'm laughing because it's funny that Apple sucks at spotting this stuff. And I said WHEN DO YOU THINK it will get kcked, so I'm asking for opinions not facts. EDIT: first comments "I want attention!"

iPhone? More like MyPhone A_SWELLGUY's Avatar
    Thanks

Great post but like it was mentioned before where are the updates to jailbreaks and unlocks that's the news I wanna hear... I've been a member of this site for a long time and I miss our hay day when jailbreaks and unlocks were important. I'm a all things apple lover and a AT&T hater. I have used all my iPhones on tmobile... So waiting on news that is important to people like me is a pain when all you hear about is stuff like this... Plus I need to unlock this iPhone 4 before I go crazy ha ha
    iPhone: 16gb 2g
    firmware: 2.2.1
    Operating system: osx

13. The Following User Says Thank You to A_SWELLGUY For This Useful Post:

g12007 (10-03-2010)

Oh.. wowee, we don't ever do anything illegal, we all have never downloaded a free song, or video, not even go over the speed limit by 1mph.

Having a gun, or even a car, is legal for most people. And it has many legal uses. It's up the person if they will use it for illegal purposes, but don't impose on those who will use it for legal purposes.

Ewww.. wow, illegal purposes. Grow up! You have many things in your house that can be used illegally. I could find many illegal uses for my butter knives, forks, or screw drivers, ect ect.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to topless1967stang For This Useful Post:

javiert30 (10-03-2010), Nevets88 (10-04-2010), reanimationxp (10-04-2010), robertr1 (10-03-2010), spazturtle (10-04-2010), unlvsac (10-03-2010)

Torrents suck. It just uploads a crapload of viruses to your machine and they are slow as dirt. Just join a great sharing community and download from there. I luv modmyi but apps like this don't need publicity. Why don't you show ********** some luv since you are publicizing apps that promote pirating. ********** is freaking awesome I might add, if your are into that sort of app

Quote Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
    Torrents suck. It just uploads a crapload of viruses to your machine and they are slow as dirt.
    I dont recall >1MB/s being slow as dirt
    Last edited by domthebigbomb; 10-03-2010 at 02:08 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to domthebigbomb For This Useful Post:

creolesoul (10-04-2010), jeffhuys (10-03-2010)

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Why not publicize it? It is news! I'm quite surprised that Apple let this in.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Yeah maybe iblacklist needs to try and get back in there and I'll be happy with that

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmurderr03 For This Useful Post:

manickbarry (10-04-2010), Snozberries (10-04-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Try not to be a douche.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcbuckles For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (10-04-2010), Snozberries (10-04-2010)

Torrents suck. It just uploads a crapload of viruses to your machine and they are slow as dirt. Just join a great sharing community and download from there. I luv modmyi but apps like this don't need publicity. Why don't you show ********** some luv since you are publicizing apps that promote pirating. ********** is freaking awesome I might add, if your are into that sort of app
    Clearly you don't have a mac

Quote Originally Posted by bcbuckles View Post
    Dont be a douche...
    +1
    Last edited by rajsukul; 10-03-2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    What's the Number 1 iPhone 4 App Download.. A Public Phone Box Locator

Quote Originally Posted by rajsukul View Post
    Clearly you don't have a mac

+1
    macs are more vulnerable viruses, but hackers dont make viruses for macs, because incase you didnt know there are millions of people more who have windows then macs

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vruls For This Useful Post:

domthebigbomb (10-03-2010), robertr1 (10-03-2010), spazturtle (10-04-2010)

The reviews on this app show you being able to search isohunt etc on the app and download torrents.

Yet ive just got it and the only way is to enter an entire URL?

Am I missing something?

Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Seriously, this comment is dumb.
    Last edited by Broomhead; 10-03-2010 at 02:04 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to hookedonkronix For This Useful Post:

creolesoul (10-04-2010)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast