+ Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4's Luster Finally Losing its Grip on Consumers

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Suck THAT Apple! Continue to create new iOS updates that create more problems than solutions and........well u get it.
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Suck THAT Apple! Continue to create new iOS updates that create more problems than solutions and........well u get it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wrcsti View Post
    Remember there are three devices tuning iOS and over 10 if not closer to 20 dining droid. So in reality there are likely more iPhone sales that a single droid phone, but If you add them all together it would be unfair. It's like saying Toyota sold more cars total than chevy sold impalas.
    Actually, the poll did say for your next smartphone, not smartphone/PDA/Tablet, so it's really not. But I do think it's a fact that the iOS numbers would slip naturally after a buying boom. Either way, the study is inaccurate - way to go Messany.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Explain how their updates create problems other than patching jailbreaks. I don't get it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I still like palm os. It's like the little engine that could but then went into an endless loop. I still rock a treo 755p on verizon but I want to drop the data plan cause the browser is no better than RIM's. Either way iPhone is still king and my droid incredible and droid eris would burn through the battery faster than an iPhone 3G web surfing without wifi while updating all the apps, ssh enabled, using google maps with gps and talking on the phone while using the flashlight app too with autolock set to never. In other words my battery on those 2 droids was utterly useless. That's why I don't like android as much as iOS 3/4.

Why buy a white iPhone 4 in December when you know it is only 6 more months until iPhone 5 comes out and will likely fix everything that was wrong with iPhone 4? Doesn't seem like a smart decision just for a friggin color.
    Last edited by alexevo; 10-02-2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    Why buy a white iPhone 4 in December when you know it is only 6 more months until iPhone 5 comes out and will likely fix everything that was wrong with iPhone 4? Doesn't seem like a smart decision just for a friggin color.
    Because you have some people, such as my mother, who go out and buy a 3GS in MAY despite constant instruction by my sister and I to hold off for a month and get the brand new one for the same price. Definitely isn't a smart decision, you are correct, but countless numbers of people still do it regardless.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

rodrigui4980 (10-02-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whatupdreww View Post
    Clearly this is an inaccurate study.. When the first surveys were taken, the iPhone was at its peak of all time, and when the second survey was taken many had already bought their iPhones.. Which means they are no longer searching for smart phones period. Gotta love the iPhone 4 though!
    Nowhere does it say that people who currently own the iPhone 4 were not polled. It simply says what OS people prefer on their "next smart phone purchase". Frankly, as it stands now, I fit in that category, and did just on the iPhone 4 bandwagon. That said, IMO this says less about the phone and more about the OS anyway. The GUI in iOS sorely needs an update. I think we can pretty much all agree on the fact that a bunch of squares on a black (ok so we can wallpaper it) background isn't as "innovative" as it was in 2006.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    Can we keep it clean now?

Obviously Annie didn't know the droid has been rooted for a long time now. Root=jailbreak. Otherwise she's one of the most helpful and knowledgable people here.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Sure thing and she might be helpful for all things iPhone but to make a statement like this....

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    You'd be surprised how many people don't know about jailbreaking. I mean the iPhone is a great phone without a jb, just better with, but we all know how people like to say "well my android can do this and that, the iPhone can't" when they don't realize a large percentage of what the iPhone "can't" do can be done after jb.

......Cuz can your Android be jailbroken? Nope
    ......when in fact Android can be rooted/jailbroken (What does ROOTED mean? - Android Forums). That statement from a helpful forum member isn't very helpful insight at all to those that might be on the fence about if they should get an iPhone or Android device.

How about we all try and use statements that can be backed up with facts and stay away from being ignorant one way or the other? I am all for that.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

9. The Following User Says Thank You to southfrisco For This Useful Post:

iPhoneThereforeIAm (10-04-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone rawhog's Avatar
    Thanks

Default I love my i4
    Love my i4 after upgrading from a 3g. I WILL be busting my arse to get an i5 next year though

Anybody selling their place in line for an i5?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I thought about getting the iphone 4 but got the ipod touch 4 instead and a htc evo, best of both worlds!!!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Explain how their updates create problems other than patching jailbreaks. I don't get it.
    iOS 4.0 was significantly problematic, particularly to the iPhone 3G users who experienced a huge slowdown on their phone. And how long did it take for Apple to finally fix the problem? Quite a while. 3.0.1 was created to fix a serious security SMS flaw. People on 3.1 were also reporting random phone shutdowns, bricked phones, poor battery life, unresponsiveness etc. OS 3.2 for the iPad had numerous problems with WiFi connectivity among users and had to be patched with another update. 3.1.2 was a patch that had to be released to fix problems with iPhones going into "coma mode" where they were unable to awaken from sleep mode. It also was released to fix cellular network data interruptions.

3.1.3 had to be released to fix numerous vulnerabilities that would enable hackers to gain control of your phone/ipod.

Then 4.0.1 was developed to address the false signal bar strength. Then 4.0.2 was created to fix the security hole that allowed for the jailbreakme.com jailbreak. 4.1 supposedly fixes the 3G slowdown problems, but quite a few people are just noticing a modest difference and still have excessive battery drain....as are many other people that have the 3GS and even the iP4. Not to mention also that Apple has a nasty habit of leaving 2G and even 3G iphone owners as well as older iPod owners in some cases behind on their software updates with certain features not being compatible with those phones. It's basically their way of pushing them into buying the newer models and thus making more money for the Apple monster.

All in all I just think the whole 4.0 software has got more problems that need to be worked out and should have been thought out some more before Apple decided to release it.

I'm willing to bet that the majority of that drop in iOS support and subsequent rise in Android support is due to the problems people have experienced or heard about with iOS 4 combined with some of the added features Android OS offers over iOS.
    Last edited by RICO_; 10-02-2010 at 05:18 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Nowhere does it say that people who currently own the iPhone 4 were not polled. It simply says what OS people prefer on their "next smart phone purchase".
    True, I guess this does hold ground then.

Thanks

I am not too worried about this

Latest Project: iEvo HD4 TrueHD iPhone4 theme. ~~~ Click Donate to support my theme's!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll just wait for the i5 cuz if AT&T actually gets 4G I would need to get it anyways lol.

Thanks

Palm??? Is that just listed as 0% for a laugh? Of course iPhone sales will decline since June 2010 is was fresh meat

Thanks
    Thanked 1,696 Times in 839 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VBLUE42 View Post
    This is to be expected as Android is on multiple phones and multiple carriers. As soon as Apple will drop the exclusive carrier crap and open up the other carriers, the iPhone will be and stay on top. Even now the ratio of iPhones on one carrier to any other phone on multiple carriers is far higher for the iPhone.
    Pretty much this ^^

This isn't "iPhone vs. Android", this is "iPhone vs. Every Other Smartphone On The Market"

If you want to start comparing the iPhone to other phones, individually, then there's still a long way to go before any other manufacturer catches up with them.

My support of iOS was waning, but then they went and released (unleashed?) the Retina Display. It was a K.O. to any other potential product in the fight for my attention. But honestly, that's all hardware based. If I could get a competitor's operating system on Apple's device, I would have done it a long time ago. For now I'm fairly content with a jailbroken device (and besides, I'm pretty good at making mods for it).

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm not sure why anyone finds this surprising. I see more and more Android based phones around all the time and after the fiasco with the iPhone 4 it's even less surprising.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that Google is going to out innovate Apple very soon all things considered. Already Android has features iPhone OS users have been asking for for ages (true multitasking, video backgrounds, a more open platform, etc etc) and when you take into account the capabilities Google brings to the table from a pure "braintrust" perspective, I think Apple needs to pony up quick or they will continue to lose more ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Pretty much this ^^

This isn't "iPhone vs. Android", this is "iPhone vs. Every Other Smartphone On The Market"

If you want to start comparing the iPhone to other phones, individually, then there's still a long way to go before any other manufacturer catches up with them.

My support of iOS was waning, but then they went and released (unleashed?) the Retina Display. It was a K.O. to any other potential product in the fight for my attention. But honestly, that's all hardware based. If I could get a competitor's operating system on Apple's device, I would have done it a long time ago. For now I'm fairly content with a jailbroken device (and besides, I'm pretty good at making mods for it).
    Hardly. We are at iPhone version 4. How long have Android phones been available? About 1/3 the time the iPhone has and they've already surpassed the iPhone in market share. Don't expect the trend to slacken, expect it to increase.
    Last edited by santiagodraco; 10-02-2010 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    iOS 4.0 was significantly problematic, particularly to the iPhone 3G users who experienced a huge slowdown on their phone. And how long did it take for Apple to finally fix the problem? Quite a while. 3.0.1 was created to fix a serious security SMS flaw. People on 3.1 were also reporting random phone shutdowns, bricked phones, poor battery life, unresponsiveness etc. OS 3.2 for the iPad had numerous problems with WiFi connectivity among users and had to be patched with another update. 3.1.2 was a patch that had to be released to fix problems with iPhones going into "coma mode" where they were unable to awaken from sleep mode. It also was released to fix cellular network data interruptions.

3.1.3 had to be released to fix numerous vulnerabilities that would enable hackers to gain control of your phone/ipod.

Then 4.0.1 was developed to address the false signal bar strength. Then 4.0.2 was created to fix the security hole that allowed for the jailbreakme.com jailbreak. 4.1 supposedly fixes the 3G slowdown problems, but quite a few people are just noticing a modest difference and still have excessive battery drain....as are many other people that have the 3GS and even the iP4. Not to mention also that Apple has a nasty habit of leaving 2G and even 3G iphone owners as well as older iPod owners in some cases behind on their software updates with certain features not being compatible with those phones. It's basically their way of pushing them into buying the newer models and thus making more money for the Apple monster.

All in all I just think the whole 4.0 software has got more problems that need to be worked out and should have been thought out some more before Apple decided to release it.

I'm willing to bet that the majority of that drop in iOS support and subsequent rise in Android support is due to the problems people have experienced or heard about with iOS 4 combined with some of the added features Android OS offers over iOS.
    Oh, sorry. Me only having an iPod touch and not an iPhone, and only being around since 3.1.2, paying attention only since 4.0, didn't know. Forgot about the iPhone 3G slowness too. I understand what you're saying now.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h2a View Post
    Bogus survey. Bogus article.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Isn't that problem enough? Especially when most of the updates are pretty much only to close the most recent jailbreak exploit....
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 10-02-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me King Shady's Avatar
    Thanks

Droid X and HTC Evo 4G > iPhone 4
    ]

Thanks

2 stores in the mall by my house had their Samsung Galaxy S Vibrants stolen...so I'm being led to believe I need to steal one myself. I mean it must be good if people can steal the floor model!