+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AppleTV Boasts FaceTime & DVD Support : Remote App Gets an Update

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple's newest Apple TV seems to be taking to the spotlight this week, as users begin to uncover more of what's buried deep inside of the Apple TV Firmware and
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

Default AppleTV Boasts FaceTime & DVD Support : Remote App Gets an Update

Apple's newest Apple TV seems to be taking to the spotlight this week, as users begin to uncover more of what's buried deep inside of the Apple TV Firmware and the device itself. We've already seen that the Apple TV does include an iOS based firmware, which has opened the door to numerous possibilities, theoretically that is.

Once digging further into the Apple TV Firmware, there have been numerous reports of uncovering what seems to be, FaceTime support as well as even DVD Support. There is even discussion that Apple TV might support Bluetooth.

On another note, as discussion fills forums, it appears that the Remote.app has been updated to support the AppleTV, as well as including some new features. The app is now retina compatible, and now includes a new App Icon.

The AppleTV application itself, seems to be called "lowtide" and details itself to require iOS 4.1 or greater.

As the information continues to fill itself out, there seems to be a handful of great surprises we can expect out of Apple TV. Keep your eyes peeled for those deliveries!

What are your thoughts on this? Should we expect these supporting frameworks, or is this just leftover code from iOS 4.1?

Source: 9to5MAc | MacTalk
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 09-28-2010 at 01:00 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Facetime would be sweet! Not sure DVD support will play into this. I should get mine Oct 18. Ill have to decide if I should refresh my iphone so I have airplay... And lose my JB. :-(

D

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Have they hit the retail stores yet?

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

How exactly would FaceTime work? U would see the other person on your TV instead of your iPhone? Or would there be a camera add on?

And how does DVD support play into this? If u have. DVD player...what's the point?

Confused...
    El Zurdo

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by definitive View Post
    Facetime would be sweet! Not sure DVD support will play into this. I should get mine Oct 18. Ill have to decide if I should refresh my iphone so I have airplay... And lose my JB. :-(

D
    Or you could download it onto a 3G iPhone in 4.1 jailbroken, delete from the computer, use any tool to ssh in and change the info.plist file inside the app so it only needs 4.0 not 4.1
    Then backwards sync the app to the computer using iTunes tell it to transfer purchases then add it to the 3GS

Not totally sure if this would work but it's worth a try if you still have a 3G or 2G

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does anyone if we can get it to play .MKV files

Thanks

Definitive check your Messages I pmed you on fixing a problem

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snboard2286 View Post
    This is usually accomplished with VLC which is a 3rd party developer the hackers would have to contact them or duplicate there work which would both most likely take over 2-5 months

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

This would awesome. Have to ask the same questions as to how some of these would be done? The DVD support maybe off your mac, just a straight streaming of the video. Can't wait to see what happens though, this device is looking to be something very good
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Thanks

Wait for the second version of this model. It will have what the first one should have.

Thanks

It seriously baffles me the level of interest in this device.....if it was a product of any other company it would not create 95% of interest. Good for apple but it's pathetic people. I like apple just fine but there stuff isn't THAT great. Look at the new blackberry tablet the playbook for example- it's specs pretty much obliterate the iPad. But I guarantee RIM won't create the buzz of the iPad no matter how hard they try. (I know the playbook won't be out until q1 or q2 of 2011 but most the things specs will still probably kill the next update of the iPad plus you get flash too. YEAH JOBS THE OPTION WOULD BE NICE!!! let us decide if we want to kill the battery or not....)

Thanks

What?! DVD support??

Thanks

This sounds like something that is worth buying. Now, every Apple product is now going to have Facetime. Why?
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

off topic,if anyone care i just cancelled my AT&T contract tired of them i'm going to get simple mobile for 40$ with my unlock iphone4. i got to pay an ETF fees of course, but i dont care i'm free from them lol.

h2a
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skj8100 View Post
    It seriously baffles me the level of interest in this device.....if it was a product of any other company it would not create 95% of interest. Good for apple but it's pathetic people. I like apple just fine but there stuff isn't THAT great. Look at the new blackberry tablet the playbook for example- it's specs pretty much obliterate the iPad. But I guarantee RIM won't create the buzz of the iPad no matter how hard they try. (I know the playbook won't be out until q1 or q2 of 2011 but most the things specs will still probably kill the next update of the iPad plus you get flash too. YEAH JOBS THE OPTION WOULD BE NICE!!! let us decide if we want to kill the battery or not....)
    seriously? i feel like i've been listening to this same nonsense for 10 years. seems that certain individuals still can't get over specs and numbers and just enjoy products that work well with each other.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brbortscheller View Post
    Where's the so-called FaceTime for Windows?
    Windows doesn't support Facetime! It is not iOS operating system!
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snboard2286 View Post
    It's iOS based and people have speculated that you can use apps on the ATV. If it does, then you might be able to download the VLC Player and try to play .mkvs, it's worth a shot.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

FaceTime would be cool on your TV, then again... you could just hook up ur comp and run Skype.

DVD support? Doubt it... not a physical DVD at least. Considering they removed the disc from the iTunes logo and are trying to kill the CD/DVD altogether.. that would be quite a backstep.

Quote Originally Posted by h2a View Post
    seriously? i feel like i've been listening to this same nonsense for 10 years. seems that certain individuals still can't get over specs and numbers and just enjoy products that work well with each other.
    You can have a physically better machine than a mac or idevice with better specs and all, but thats not what counts. The simplicity and usability of the OS that makes these things so damn good. And that is one thing that NO ONE has yet to improve on... that and Jonathan Ive's sexy designs.
    Last edited by Eagleye; 09-29-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skj8100 View Post
    the storm "obliterated" the iPhone on paper too.... BB sucks at execution, I would bet their tablet works nothing like the fake demo's they have put online.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post

You can have a physically better machine than a mac or idevice with better specs and all, but thats not what counts. The simplicity and usability of the OS that makes these things so damn good. And that is one thing that NO ONE has yet to improve on... that and Jonathan Ive's sexy designs.
    Or Customer Service. Nothing beats walking into an Apple store and walking out completely satisfied with their Warranty Service.
    Last edited by eg6motion; 09-29-2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Really?