Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Official Google Voice App Reportedly Approved

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Official Google Voice App Reportedly Approved

Amid increasing signs of a break in the Apple-Google cold war, Google has apparently received approval from Apple for a Google Voice iPhone app, according to a report out this morning. TechCrunch's Jason Kincaid says he has "gotten word" that the app they submitted back in 2009 had been taken out of deep freeze and approved. Google is presently reworking the app for iOS 4 compatibility, and it is expected to be released within a few weeks.

The news, if true, is the latest in a string of revelations following Apple's September 9 update to its App Store approval guidelines, which relaxed the existing ban on apps which offered "duplicate functionality" to the iPhone's native apps. Two third-party Google Voice apps were quickly resubmitted and approved, including Sean Kovacs's GV Mobile, which had been available on Cydia since the banhammer dropped in July of 2009.

Following the report today, Google released a bland statement that neither confirmed nor denied anything:

“We currently offer Google Voice mobile apps for Blackberry and Android, and we offer an HTML5 web app for the iPhone. We have nothing further to announce at this time.”
    It's not possible to confirm, obviously, but many observers expect richer function sets than the third-party-apps. For example, the Android Google Voice app comes with more real-time features such as SMS support, suggesting that push notifications for SMS and voicemail messages could be included in the official iPhone app. That is, unless Google decides to keep that an Android-only feature for competitive reasons.

Source: TechCrunch

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (09-28-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone CaptBojank's Avatar
    Thanks

Great! The web app is fine, unless you are on edge and then it takes a minute or two to load.
    --= Fortes fortuna adiuvat =--

Now what would be nice if it was somehow linked to a bluetooth device so you can actually do hands free calling via a BT headset

I see a lot of pissed off GV Mobile buyers right now.

I'll wait for this one. Now all I need is SBsettings and I don't need a JB!

Twitter: @tshoults

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Hopefully this is true.
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

i recently purchased GV Mobile+ and welcome the future release of an official google version, hopefully they wont strip it down so the Android version is better then the iPhone version. I will snag it as soon as it is released to compare against what Seans app does. but i am sure if we get a full non stripped down version it will be better then any 3rd party version

Got GV Mobile+ for free on Saturday, can't wait for this. And the Android version will be better than the iPhone version on the simple basis that Android apps can do more with the phone.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Got GV Mobile+ for free on Saturday, can't wait for this. And the Android version will be better than the iPhone version on the simple basis that Android apps can do more with the phone.
    +1, also waited for it to be free on Saturday. Hoping for push from the Google version.

Good! the Current thing sucks crap! It keeps turning off! The screen turns black! That voice thing pops up! It Freeses! I once had to restart the whole phone!

Very much looking forward to this. I love Google products on my iPhone. Google voice saves me a lot of minutes and money! Thanks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone CONVBMW's Avatar
    Thanks

What a beautiful day it will be indeed when it gets released.

Thanks

Its a good thing I waited...

Quote Originally Posted by crisco9071 View Post
    Very much looking forward to this. I love Google products on my iPhone. Google voice saves me a lot of minutes and money! Thanks!
    Is it free to get text messages & calls through Google Voice? I kind of thought you still were using minutes & messages from your celular plan if you are using your iPhone. I would really like to know & if so, I will cut my voice & text plan way back.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd20 View Post
    Is it free to get text messages & calls through Google Voice? I kind of thought you still were using minutes & messages from your celular plan if you are using your iPhone. I would really like to know & if so, I will cut my voice & text plan way back.
    totally free doesnt use your minutes or your number of text messages

Thanks

Sounds good. I will give the web app a try and see if I like it. I've been using skype for all my home phone needs and might switch.

that's very good news for google,now they can stop fighting and take more money from us lol.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    How about an official gmail app more similar to the ios one! Now that would be welcomed!

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    totally free doesnt use your minutes or your number of text messages
    It uses your minutes for voice. It's free for sms. That's the case on the web app and will be on any native app. Even on Android.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    I was pissed because it kept giving me the whole "this item is currently being edited" or something like that.

Twitter: @tshoults

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast