+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Official Google Voice App Reportedly Approved

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by corkey20000 I see a lot of pissed off GV Mobile buyers right now. I got impatient and spent the $3 for the app. I guess I paid
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default not THAT pissed
    Quote Originally Posted by corkey20000 View Post
    I see a lot of pissed off GV Mobile buyers right now.
    I got impatient and spent the $3 for the app. I guess I paid for the convenience...oh well! 3 bucks won't bankrupt me, but it could'a got me some grub on the BK $1 menu! lol

Kovacs owes me lunch! hahaha!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Turb02 View Post
    Now what would be nice if it was somehow linked to a bluetooth device so you can actually do hands free calling via a BT headset
    See this is what is nice about GV Mobile. It calls you back and connects as a regular phone call (now you can use Bluetooth, speakerphone, etc....)... Plus add this number to your ATT A list and all calls are now free.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by byrd20 View Post
    Is it free to get text messages & calls through Google Voice? I kind of thought you still were using minutes & messages from your celular plan if you are using your iPhone. I would really like to know & if so, I will cut my voice & text plan way back.
    If you get calls on your cell through GV, it does use your minutes. If you use voicemail forwarding via SMS, it uses your messages. However, you can forward your voicemail to email instead (or use push notifications), and any text messages sent to/from the GV app are free. You can place calls through Google Talk in Gmail on the desktop for free, and you can forward calls to SIP/VOIP apps (like Gizmo5), so you can get free calls that will only count against your data usage.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

When will the Google Maps be updated with voice turn by turn directions?

Green Apple
    Thanks

OK, can someone tell me what is the big deal about GV Mobile?
    If I want to make free international calls I just start Siphon on my jailbroken phone, automatically connect to my Voipstunt account and I can call anywhere in the world as a local call, some destinations are completely free (like US and Canada), some cost 0.2cent/min, up to 0.18cent/min for a mobile call. Voipstunt also gives me a call back number, but I never actually set it up. So again, why is GV Mobile so great?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sadsamurai View Post
    If I want to make free international calls I just start Siphon on my jailbroken phone, automatically connect to my Voipstunt account and I can call anywhere in the world as a local call, some destinations are completely free (like US and Canada), some cost 0.2cent/min, up to 0.18cent/min for a mobile call. Voipstunt also gives me a call back number, but I never actually set it up. So again, why is GV Mobile so great?
    It's because it makes Google Voice more functional, faster, and user friendly. I wouldn't even attribute that just to GV Mobile + (GV Connect works just as well). The GV web app is clunky and slow. If you don't talk much, do a lot of text messaging, keep your calls in the states, and since you're forced to pay for minutes anyway (part of the iPhone package), it makes more sense to go the GV route than it does to use VOIP/SIP.

Quote Originally Posted by JazJon View Post
    When will the Google Maps be updated with voice turn by turn directions?
    And put all the other mapmakers apps out of business? Steve hasn't shown much inclination to add features to the native iPhone apps when it's easier to create a digital ecosystem that fills in the blanks with third-party apps.
    Last edited by blissfulight; 09-28-2010 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

well first of all, now you dont need to be jailbroken. plus its google (service not app), so theyre not going anywhere soon right?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nevv View Post
    well first of all, now you dont need to be jailbroken. plus its google (service not app), so theyre not going anywhere soon right?
    Well, if it wasn't for jailbreak I would have never bought an iPhone.
    My iPhone 4 is not jailbroken (OS 4.1) and it drives me crazy. I still have to use my old, trusty but very slooooooooow 3g.
    Regarding GV and GV Mobile I see how they can be useful for some people however after checking the international rates Google is charging I see no reason to sign up with them, my SIP provider (which I have been using for close to 10 years) offers the same rates. The only interesting thing is free SMS however as I am not in the US it wouldn't work for me. So as far as I am concerned it is more of a fluff than anything else, your mileage may vary.

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Acciavatti View Post
    Amid increasing signs of a break in the Apple-Google cold war, Google has apparently received approval from Apple for a Google Voice iPhone app, according to a report out this morning. TechCrunch's Jason Kincaid says he has
    That's probably the best way I've heard that described, a cold war lol.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

And this is why I said I was waiting rather than paying a couple bucks for the third party app someone had released
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Google Voice isn't a VOIP service, you dummy. So I'm not sure why you're comparing it to one.

Thanks

I love GV. That way I can give my GV # to creepy stalkers in class when I have to work with them, and then block them when we're done. Best part is they never get my real number!

Twitter: @tshoults

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by infinitzero@iTunes
    **DO NOT BUY THIS!** WAIT for GOOGLE ☆
    by infinitzero – Version 1.0.3 – Oct 13, 2010

Google is releasing an official Google Voice app for FREE in few weeks so DON'T waste your money on this! This app is NOT made by Google. This app does NOT alert you when you have new texts, voicemail, or missed calls. The developer claims “PUSHED”/FORWARDED through OTHER 3RD PARTY UNSECURE SERVERS (Yes, you'llhave NO IDEA of where it's going and who all is seeing it). This app CUTS OFF TEXT while you are typing which means you can only see the FIRST LINE of what you are writing, and what's more is it DOES NOT have autocorrect/spellcheck which is fundamental to any text app. There is NOTHING this app can do that the Web App can't, but MANY things the Web App can do that this one CANT. This app FAILS in every which way. Oh, and don't think for a second that this app will “get better”. This app is made by a 3RD PARTY DEVELOPER (NOT GOOGLE!) so the developer DOES NOT and will NEVER have access to certain API's that would allow the app to function the way Google's official app will once its released ---Yes, that means NATIVE PUSH ALERT, VOIP, VOICEMAILS, CALLS. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!
    This true

Thanks

This should have it's own thread but whatever:

SMS GV Extension | Home

It integrates Google Voice TEXTING to the native Messages App. So you can text for free through the native app.

This by itself is awesome. There's a bonus to it: you can now uses BiteSMS to GV Text as you're now texting through the native app!

Literally the best thing ever.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

blissfulight (10-23-2010)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    This should have it's own thread but whatever:

SMS GV Extension | Home

It integrates Google Voice TEXTING to the native Messages App. So you can text for free through the native app.

This by itself is awesome. There's a bonus to it: you can now uses BiteSMS to GV Text as you're now texting through the native app!

Literally the best thing ever.
    awesome info. i must admit though, i like keeping gv seperate. i want to choose the native phone app and use my iphone number, then click gv app to use gv number. i would like to use native sms app for iphone number, and a gv (maybe a seperate gv sms app) for sms. i love the gv mobile+ app, it just needs push notification imo.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Even better would be to develop a tweak for click-to-call using GV for highlighted telephone numbers in text (like Notes) instead of using the default dialer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Just'N View Post
    awesome info. i must admit though, i like keeping gv seperate. i want to choose the native phone app and use my iphone number, then click gv app to use gv number. i would like to use native sms app for iphone number, and a gv (maybe a seperate gv sms app) for sms. i love the gv mobile+ app, it just needs push notification imo.
    The dev recently posted a SBSettings Toggle for this so you can switch instantly between texting from google or your carrier.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blissfulight View Post
    Even better would be to develop a tweak for click-to-call using GV for highlighted telephone numbers in text (like Notes) instead of using the default dialer.
    x2 but I would want this as an added feature not as a replacement. you will still need an app to access call history, voicemail, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    The dev recently posted a SBSettings Toggle for this so you can switch instantly between texting from google or your carrier.
    SNAP! Then im definitely interested. Hopefully the official Google app will be worth the wait and address all these issues, but if not I'll try this tweak. thanks again.

Thanks

The officlal app is out! Search for "googlevoice" to find it.

It's awesome and works much smoother than any 3rd party options.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

I was just going to report this as well. Downloaded and it works great!
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad