+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: FaceTime Still Missing on iPhone 4 in Parts of the Middle East

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Despite all the hype surrounding the iPhone 4's arrival in China, this weekend the iPhone 4 also debuted in parts of the Middle East. But a very important feature of
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default FaceTime Still Missing on iPhone 4 in Parts of the Middle East

Despite all the hype surrounding the iPhone 4's arrival in China, this weekend the iPhone 4 also debuted in parts of the Middle East. But a very important feature of the updated 4th generation Apple Smartphone was suspiciously absent. In both Qatar and the United Arab Emirates, iPhone 4 buyers were stunned to learn that FaceTime was not an available feature.

Several initial reports over the previous 24 hours covered the missing attribute but failed to chronicle exactly why the service is presently unavailable. As it now stands, the believed reason for the omitted service are local restrictions on VoIP technology that effectively inhibit the video communications that define FaceTime. Interestingly enough, though, Middle Eastern versions of Apple's website had promoted the FaceTime feature until just days ago, a misleading situation that has angered many fresh buyers of the smartphone.

But while thousands of new iPhone 4 owners were unaware of this situation when they first purchased their device this weekend, the lack of FaceTime chat capabilities may not remain a permanent issue. For now the video chat functionality is said to be "currently unavailable" as the operators and regulators in the region are supposedly working together as we speak to allow this functionality sooner rather than later.

PC World

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (09-26-2010)

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Well thats kind of a shady thing for apple to do, I am surprised that apple would do that. It's like selling a phone that you know has reception issues and then trying to sell you a bumper to fix it....Oh wait.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captinsmooth For This Useful Post:

2006yamahaR6 (09-27-2010), hateraide (09-28-2010)

Thanks
    Funny how certain countries in the "Middle East" are the only ones where their iPhones don't come with Facetime....Hmmmmmm

Also what do the operators have anything to do with a feature that is suppose to only work with Wifi? Hmmmmm?

I think there is more to this than they are telling us...

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's because they don't want their women to show their faces. Why else cover their faces.

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Superman0069 View Post
    Funny how certain countries in the "Middle East" are the only ones where their iPhones don't come with Facetime....Hmmmmmm

Also what do the operators have anything to do with a feature that is suppose to only work with Wifi? Hmmmmm?

I think there is more to this than they are telling us...

Isn't the United Arab Emirates the ones that were gonna block blackberry messenger, due to them not being able to monitor the messages? If so Facetime may fall under the same litigation...?
    Last edited by Captinsmooth; 09-26-2010 at 02:45 PM.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just like the free bumpers... apple could issue free veils so that women's faces don't show and while we're at it let's just change the name to Eyetime... Lol

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't include the headphones next year. They seem to be getting increasingly shadier every year.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    its shows that ppl don't know what they are talking about
    the BBM has been stopped in UAE because the gov. can't monitor the messages and its mainly security issues.
    as the facetime goes, and saudi arabia, when u buy the iphone 4, the feature is there but when u update 2 4.1 that feature is gone, but many tried to change the country in the setting 2 the US and restart the iphone and the feature appears again.

and btw, women in the UAE do show their face, but i guess u all don't know what ur talking about,!
    Last edited by ia7md; 09-26-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ia7md For This Useful Post:

2006yamahaR6 (09-27-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone slap690's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dclpz1 View Post
    Just like the free bumpers... apple could issue free veils so that women's faces don't show and while we're at it let's just change the name to Eyetime... Lol
    Exactly! Why would you need to look at a sheet while talkin on the phone anyway? I guess to see the goats in the background.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by topless1967stang View Post
    It's because they don't want their women to show their faces. Why else cover their faces.
    Funny...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
    Isn't the United Arab Emirates the ones that were gonna block blackberry messenger, due to them not being able to monitor the messages? If so Facetime may fall under the same litigation...?
    This is true...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ia7md View Post
    the BBM has been stopped in UAE because the gov. can't monitor the messages and its mainly security issues.
    as the facetime goes, and saudi arabia, when u buy the iphone 4, the feature is there but when u update 2 4.1 that feature is gone, but many tried to change the country in the setting 2 the US and restart the iphone and the feature appears again.

and btw, women in the UAE do show their face, but i guess u all don't know what ur talking about,!
    ....I think he was just kidding.

Granted, not that funny but it was just a joke. Settle down

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I was just kidding, calm down. I have spent time in the UAE, I had a great time there and I was in a commercial for aqua land. I know what it's like...

Thanks

At least they still allow the iPhone 4 in the middle east, unlike the blackberry

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

18. The Following User Says Thank You to whereswaldo For This Useful Post:

Reket (09-26-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Im deployed in the middle east and the cellular/internet connection out here is complete garabge. The gov't controls everything you do. If Im skyping with friends/family back home ill get disconnected like 4 times throughout my vid chat. Pretty rediculous! For that reason blackberry's got banned bc they're encryption was too solid. Dont really see em allowing facetime!
    Last edited by Reket; 09-26-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captinsmooth View Post
    Well thats kind of a shady thing for apple to do, I am surprised that apple would do that. It's like selling a phone that you know has reception issues and then trying to sell you a bumper to fix it....Oh wait.
    Lmao and I thought that had died over and correction " trying to give you a FREE bumper to fix it...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

that's what happened when gourvemment & religion are mix together .

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Just connect your device / laptop to VPN before you start browsing .... no more monitoring!

Quote Originally Posted by Reket View Post
    Im deployed in the middle east and the cellular/internet connection out here is complete garabge. The gov't controls everything you do. If Im skyping with friends/family back home ill get disconnected like 4 times throughout my vid chat. Pretty rediculous! For that reason blackberry's got banned bc they're encryption was too solid. Dont really see em allowing facetime!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ia7md View Post

I lived in the Middle East for 14 months, and I have been to Dubai 5 times, I've had my share of seeing some women not cover their faces. Many of the traditionalist still cover their faces, but make up for it by carrying the $1,000 plus purses.

UAE is pretty secure, there is no need to worry about claiming security. It's called control. They want to control their people.
    I don't think it's an Apple issue when it comes to Facetime. Let's face it, it's a government issue.