Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Latest iPhone Accessory: a Scooter

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Latest iPhone Accessory: a Scooter
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqDe94Y0Koo]YouTube - MINI Scooter E Concept[/ame]

German automaker BMW is building on the success of its iconic MINI Cooper automobile by introducing an electric scooter that borrows much of the style cues and uses an iPhone as the ignition key. The MINI Scooter E is only a concept but could be available as soon as 2012. The electric scooter has a range of 30 miles and a total charging time of around 4 to 5 hours.

BMW, which became the first car manufacturer to deploy more that 500 electric vehicles with the MINI E, is obviously targeting the scooter prototype at young urban professionals who have green sensibilities. The Mine E Scooter's lithium-ion battery pack can be recharged from any power outlet with the retractable five-meter-long cable, so its range can be extended by plugging it in whenever it's parked for extended periods. MINI projects that it will cost about 1p (a penny and a half US) per mile to run, based on energy costs in the UK. The running costs would be lower in the US, if the scooter ever comes here.

The scooter is headed for the upscale market, with expected prices ranging from 4000 to 5000 ($6285 to $ 7857 US) but it will have unique features, such as the ability to use your iPhone as the ignition key. The iPhone integrates with the navigation system, and will also function as a music player and allow you to make and receive calls via a Bluetooth headset. The navigation app gives you the location of other MINI Scooter E riders are on the map, and will automatically flash the headlight when you pass another scooter on the road. No. Really.

Smart is also working on an electric scooter with iPhone integration. The energy efficient escooter has an LED headlight and taillight, and built-in solar cells, which help charge the batteries when the scooter is in motion, and full LED lighting. The scooter uses the iPhone as its instrument display, with satellite navigation enabled via the an app that interacts with the scooter's GPS hardware. The iPhone can also be used to turn on the handlebar warmers before you leave the house, and can contact the scooter's GPS to help you recover it if it's stolen, or if you forgot where you parked it.

Source: Pocket-Lint

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (09-26-2010)

This is add on iPhone?...
    this will make the mini cooper more valuable, or the iPhone more valuable...
    Last edited by romeo_herman; 09-26-2010 at 10:10 AM.

I wish I could use my iPhone as the key for my car.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    people like this do my head in, '0 emissions' fine the scooter may not produce any, but you still have to charge it with electricity, most of which comes from coal and produces pollution. This 'green' trend is really starting to get on my tits.

/rant over

good idea though.

lolwtf

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

Damn fool thing...iPhones aren't made to last forever, but vehicle keys need to be somewhat long lasting. Good chance you might have the scooter longer than you care to have that iPhone.

Thanks
    i predict many robberies if the phone is used to turn the scooter on

what will be funny is that new gen iphone that will come out right after this bike is released wont be compatible with it

Is This For Kids?????

Thanks

I would actually consider this if the price wasn't so high. Sure, it's nice that it's integrating the iPhone, but for in town travel a scooter is a great idea to get around. My only real question on this is with the navigation and integration. I assume that the company will put out an app for the vehicle that will use the phone's ID number to allow it to be used as the ignition key, but with the GPS navigation, are they going to include the maps for you or will you have to have a navigation program already installed on your phone to have this functionality?

Proud to be an Apple user since 1990... at the age of 4.

Driving in the middle of a main street, your iPhone looses charge, and next thing you know you're in a hospital.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks cool, but your still on a scooter
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Thanks

I like it, but 7000 is too expensive for a scooter.

Oh brother.... just what I want, people riding scooters with a holder for their iPhone so they can text.

Rather cool idea. I am sure it will charge the phone while you drive. I want a heads up display lol.
    I am the Vincent (Vital Information Necessary Centralized) iPhone.

When I am moody I am the Hal iPhone 9000 lol

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickaroni22 View Post
    I wish I could use my iPhone as the key for my car.
    You'll see...
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Way kool!!

Thanks

i predict that these will be sold at target. subtle hints all throughout the video
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Two questions....lol

If it is going to use an iphone than maybe they could jailbreak the scooter?

If so, what would you be able to do with a jailbroken scooter?
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast