+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "No Phone Can Best the iPhone:" iPhonemania in China

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The iPhone 4 went on sale today in China, with large crowds gathering outside Apple Stores in Beijing and Shanghai . The only authorized carrier in the country, China Unicom,
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default "No Phone Can Best the iPhone:" iPhonemania in China

The iPhone 4 went on sale today in China, with large crowds gathering outside Apple Stores in Beijing and Shanghai. The only authorized carrier in the country, China Unicom, said they received 200,000 pre-orders before sales began, and the phone apparently did brisk business at China Unicom retail outlets and Suning Appliance stores throughout the People's Republic. China Unicom requires a contract, though, and the carrier-unlocked phones available at the four Apple Stores in China are proving popular.

Most Chinese mobile phone customers pay month-to-month, rather than signing a contract. In addition, many just want to keep their existing phone number; the Chinese market does not aoffer portability. In an online survey by portal 163.com, over 70 percent of the more than 7,000 people surveyed said they would rather buy an iPhone 4 from Apple instead of China Unicom. With a two-year contract from China Unicom, the iPhone 4 will cost 5,880 yuan ($877) for the 16GB model, and 6,999 yuan ($1,044) for the 32GB model. Apple's price for unlocked iPhone 4s is 4,999 yuan ($744 US) for the 16GB model and 5,999 yuan ($893) for the 32GB model. According to China Daily, the English-language newspaper published by the Communist Party of China, Apple's price is below the 5,500 yuan charged for gray market phones brought in from Hong Kong. "We cut the price by 200 yuan this week," a vendor in Beijing's largest electronics market told the government newspaper, "but customers still think it is too high since they can buy an official one from an Apple store for 4,999 yuan."

Customer lined up for as long as two days waiting for their chance to buy an iPhone, with more than a thousand people waiting outside the new Apple Store at the Xidan Joy City shopping center in Beijing. "It's like waiting in line to see a movie star," Sun Jian Kuan, a 26-year-old systems engineer, told Computerworld. "No phone can best the iPhone."

Source: Computerworld, image via Agence France Presse

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (09-25-2010)

Thanks

Wow, those are some expensive plans. I don't blame em for buying it from apple
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

very nice.

iPhone? More like MyPhone nautical79's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple thats the way the iPhone should sale, unlock and cheaper than a subsydi one.
    Common Sense Its Not So Common

Thanks

The iPhone is KING

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

To:China

Enjoy!

What's Jailbreak? ashrafkhalifa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Wow great! Once people buy iPhone they never buy other mobile phone! (my thinking).

To: iPhone
    Better!!!!

East or West
    iPhone is the Best!
    Last edited by ashrafkhalifa; 09-25-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

People are obsessed by Apple (positive sense).. and so am I! But i feel with the iPhone 4 things got a little out of proportion. To be frank, I wasn't happy with my iPhone 4.. just claimed my refund! Had 7 replacement phones in a month or so.. may be this is not the case with everyone! I did not face any dropped calls either.. but you hold the phone casually without any case or bumper, I bet my data speeds were affected big time.. kinda annoying at times even though the phone is "awe-inspiring". I hope that the iPhone next year will be better.. Going for the Desire HD.. for a change!

Thanks

They buy an iphone now see how great it is they discover jailbreaking. they loose jailbreak they find out how *** the iphone without jailbreak they soon switch to android hahah

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

To: Apple

Get over yourself!

That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by donsamuelgeorge View Post
    People are obsessed by Apple (positive sense).. and so am I! But i feel with the iPhone 4 things got a little out of proportion. To be frank, I wasn't happy with my iPhone 4.. just claimed my refund! Had 7 replacement phones in a month or so.. may be this is not the case with everyone! I did not face any dropped calls either.. but you hold the phone casually without any case or bumper, I bet my data speeds were affected big time.. kinda annoying at times even though the phone is "awe-inspiring". I hope that the iPhone next year will be better.. Going for the Desire HD.. for a change!
    You're not alone. I've gone through more replacements. Mainly from very little things that are not so little to me that most other people wouldn't catch.

Most of my replacements had something new wrong with them. So the more replacements I got...the harder I looked at the phone and saw all the little things that affect most of these phones.
    Last edited by RICO_; 09-25-2010 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Well now we know why they'd rather buy from apple. At those prices it's worth the carrier-unlocked. Wish it was like that in the U.S.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I'm curious.. Please list specifically all the issues you had that required phone replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Wait...the phone costs MORE if you sign up for a contract, than if you buy it unlocked??

They really are backwards in China.

Thanks

Wow, communist iPhones are expensive. And what's up with Apple charging $145 more for the device in China? It's even cheaper to ship since they're made there. The "unlock" feature isn't anything worth that money. It makes Apple no difference which carrier the device is on. Sounds like merciless price gouging on behalf of Apple and even worse on behalf of Unicom. Glad I don't live in that hellhole.
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

iPhone? More like MyPhone risingkazuya05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    Wait...the phone costs MORE if you sign up for a contract, than if you buy it unlocked??

They really are backwards in China.
    Yep, that's how we Asians roll, lol.
    Take this for an example, we make our drinks hot and our food cold!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Similar phenomena can be observed if Apple can handle to lunch iPhone in other Asian countries.We are eager to get this piece of magic along with warranty.in my country people (including me) pay a handsome amount to buy an iPhone,which has no warranty as we get it through unofficial channels. Come on Apple.

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by risingkazuya05 View Post
    Yep, that's how we Asians roll, lol.
    Take this for an example, we make our drinks hot and our food cold!
    That was funny!!

I agree that it's strange. And I also wish it were like that here in the U.S as well.

Wasn't there a store there that was advertising New iPhone 4's with it already jailbroken? Can't wait to see how that unfolds.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I thought the average person in China could not afford something that expensive. I guess they get paid rather well in the large cities.
    But there are so many people in China, 1% of the population is several million people. So, maybe it makes sense.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

Hey, maybe we'll get some good ol' Chinese hacker action in the jailbreak scene. That country should just get a small army of programmers to work on that right away. State-sponsored, of course.

Heck, I don't care where the jailbreak comes from -- if there's an underground, quick'n'dirty Chinese jailbreak that gets Cydia on my iPod a few weeks before the Dev Team, I'll bite that bullet.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I'm curious.. Please list specifically all the issues you had that required phone replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Proximity sensor intermittent problems (after 4.1 update), duplicate text messages, screen yellowing after 4 days of usage, very loose volume buttons, loose vibrator unit inside the phone (no it's not normal) loose home button, crooked home button, crooked charger port pin connector, small knicks on the top edge of the phone, multiple crashes from native apps like messages and app store that actually crashed the whole phone, excessive power off time (20 seconds just to turn off vs 2 seconds on my current one and numerous others), wifi not connecting, excessive battery drain, dust/dirt underneath front/back glass.

These issues were from both brand new white box retail swap phones as well as service replacements....which are also brand new. Apple will not sell refurbs through their Apple stores.

If any of you fanboys don't believe this phone could have such a wide range of problems.....wake the f**k up and crawl out of your little Apple wonderworld box. It can and does. If u don't believe it I really don't care.

ALL of these issues were verified by either the technical support over the phone or by an Apple Store employee themselves.....including the store managers.

The only reason I still currently have the phone is because I seem to have finally found one that has none of those problems.....yet.
    Last edited by RICO_; 09-25-2010 at 08:00 PM.