+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: EU Lets Apple Off The Hook

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
On the heels of the US Department of Justice cracking down on Apple, effectively ordering the company to stop engaging in anticompetitive agreements, the European Union has take a different
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default EU Lets Apple Off The Hook

On the heels of the US Department of Justice cracking down on Apple, effectively ordering the company to stop engaging in
    anticompetitive agreements, the European Union has take a different course of action. They've just let Apple off the hook.

This morning, the European Union halted what was once an ongoing investigation into Apple's restrictive and non-competitive iPhone policies that allegedly "hindered" other companies like Adobe (which had developed its Flash to iPhone porting tool that Apple wanted no part of). Following Adobe's official complaints, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission stepped in to launch an anti-trust investigation of the Cupertino-based company.

So what turned the situation around? All signs point to Apple's recently re-vamped developer restrictions and other "relaxed" policies (like the cross-border iPhone warranty repair services within the EU/EEA) that no longer make Apple appear to be the wicked stepmother of the tech industry. On Saturday, European Competition Commissioner Joaquin Almunia expressed his pleasure with Apple's policy tweak and referenced an end to the investigations.

The initial investigations were launched this past spring, both relating to Apple's business practices pertaining to the iPhone.

Euopa: EU Press Release

Thanks

As much as I want flash, Apple is right when they say that HTML5 is the future. Most sites I go on have an iPhone version anyways

iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    As much as I want flash, Apple is right when they say that HTML5 is the future. Most sites I go on have an iPhone version anyways
    I am with you on this one.

Posted via my crappy PC while being controlled with iTeleport on my iPhone 4
    I like apple stuff.
    If you see the username "McMichael96" anywhere, it's probably me.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

The DOJ ruling concerned anticompetitive hiring practices. The EU ruling regarded Adobe's complaint about the AppStore developer agreement. How are those even the slightest bit related? This has to be the most idiotic analysis of facts I've yet seen from Michael Essany.
    Last edited by politicalslug; 09-25-2010 at 12:59 PM.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to politicalslug For This Useful Post:

2006yamahaR6 (09-25-2010), Tyronal (09-25-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    The DOJ ruling concerned anticompetitive hiring practices. The EU ruling regarded Adobe's complaint about the AppStore developer agreement. How are those even the slightest bit related? This has to be the most idiotic analysis of facts I've yet seen from Michael Essany.
    Thank you so much. i was thinking the same thing cus i read the DOJ article right before this one. Anticompetitive Hiring Practices = Software policies?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Punk *s* Steve Jobs has backed his tough talk right down and changed his App store rules when fear of governments stepping in and forcing him or waving fines in his face. You would have to be a fool not to believe these relaxed rules are not a direct result of investigations into their world domination attitude.
    Last edited by 1shuttle1; 09-25-2010 at 02:25 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 1shuttle1 For This Useful Post:

2006yamahaR6 (09-25-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

More and more times Im loving my HTC desire, no missing iphone any more finally!!!!!!!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    Why would anyone expect anything that resembles a journalistic story coming from the keyboard of Michael Essany. He's just a flame reporter anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 1shuttle1 View Post
    Punk *s* Steve Jobs has backed his tough talk right down and changed his App store rules when fear of governments stepping in and forcing him or waving fines in his face. You would have to be a fool not to believe these relaxed rules are not a direct result of investigations into their world domination attitude.
    Troll much?
    Last edited by Tyronal; 09-25-2010 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jrrtps View Post
    More and more times Im loving my HTC desire, no missing iphone any more finally!!!!!!!
    ... and yet you still feel the need to post on an iPhone forum.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

skj8100 (09-26-2010)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    ... and yet you still feel the need to post on an iPhone forum.
    +1

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nerdyperdy

+1

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    +2
    Sometimes it's better to be silent. . .Than to always be saying sum dumb SHYT!
    So basically try keeping it SYMPLE!