+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pilot Program Lets New Yorkers Pay Transit Fares With iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
fumble of tickets? what mass transit system in new york uses tickets? i remember tokens back in the day, but metrocards are not that difficult to use
    iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

fumble of tickets? what mass transit system in new york uses tickets?
    i remember tokens back in the day, but metrocards are not that difficult to use

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CMOSlabs View Post
    So why won't the chip in my visa card that I just wave at the card reader work for this? Been using it for years. Seems a lot easier and cheaper.
    Using phones or credit cards with chips in them is OLD as DIRT.
    In japan you use your phone for MANY purchases, and has been that way!
    the chip in your credit card can also be used as your room key in some hotels. This company called SAFLOK has been doing it and installing it in hotels for a few years now. I find it an inconvienience to fumble for a dead iphone cuz the battery sux (3G) but ya know what? there is nothing like good old boring CASH.
    It even works without cellular data connections, can stay in a wallet for 24 months and still work!
    unklbyl

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daerid View Post
    I like the idea, but it also invites more danger to having your iPhone stolen.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Good point. If they don't snatch it as you use it, they see it and may get you later. I guess it makes life fun.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jiniej's Avatar
    Thanks

i live in new york and they've been piloting the visa tap to pay card here fora while. I take the subway everyday at least once, i have not ONCE seen someone use this tap to pay feature. I think the reason is that the placement of the "tap" sensor is on the front of the turnstile and new yorkers (well at least I am) are used to not having to break a step when they get on the subway. when you swipe your metrocard, you just dont stop walking because its right next to the actual turnstile on the top, the tap to pay in like 2.5 feet from the ground on the front of the turnstile. if they change the position of this tap thing, then maybe i would consider it, but right now, its too out of the way and too clumsy.
    "foreign corporations > swedish law"

Banned
    Thanks

I think I'll stick to paying with my metrocard., there are some stations where I would NOT want to take out my lovely iphone 4 !! it would just give criminals something to look forward to taking.

Thanks

If it makes my life easier then I'm all for it. It would be nicer if this could be done w/out a specific case though.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fungusfeet View Post
    "Technology like this will make fumbling for tickets a thing of the past."

And make fumbling around for your phone, launching the app and hoping your battery hasn't run out a thing of the present.

Stupid idea. (Which part are people liking? Is it that it's on an iphone or just that you can wave something in front of a reader to board a train? I live in London and we use an oyster card so I understand the liking of the 2nd option)
    Because when you commute, your iPhone is half charged and just out of hands reach, right...?

We have Metrocards and some stations have the VISA tap card (I only know of one (^_^)
    How is it more difficult to take out your iphone, then it is to take out your fare card?

What people like, is that it's one less thing to carry. And I don't know if you have to swipe the Oyster card, but card swiping is not fool proof (not that this is) but- It would save SOOOOO much plastic.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think they're better off just getting of those wireless VISA scanner.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by discostar View Post
    Because when you commute, your iPhone is half charged and just out of hands reach, right...?

We have Metrocards and some stations have the VISA tap card (I only know of one (^_^)
    How is it more difficult to take out your iphone, then it is to take out your fare card?

What people like, is that it's one less thing to carry. And I don't know if you have to swipe the Oyster card, but card swiping is not fool proof (not that this is) but- It would save SOOOOO much plastic.
    I'm not one for letting my phone run down, I charge it every night but there have been times where it has run out before my journey home(being an iphone), I know other people who just charge their phone once it's run out. What am I supposed to do then? Go running around to find a phone store that will let me charge my phone for 10 minutes or so? No thanks.

My oyster has an annual travelcard on it and it never leaves my wallet, just tap the wallet against the reader on the gate and put it back in my pocket. There'd be queues a mile long while everyone was standing at the gate fannying around with their phones.

Thanks

I LOVE seeing new ways to use my iPhone

Green Apple
    Thanks
    that's crazy

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is the reason lots in Japan don't want an iPhone. We've been using our phones as mobile wallets for years and even the latest offering from apple comes without this basic function. Really, it is a very basic function for us!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi13 View Post
    This is the reason lots in Japan don't want an iPhone. We've been using our phones as mobile wallets for years and even the latest offering from apple comes without this basic function. Really, it is a very basic function for us!
    What does that have to do with japan?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This story was on SNL last night and they bring up a pretty good and funny point. Using your iPhone to pay in the subway. Anyone catch the flaw here? Good luck getting a signal underground in the subway. AT&T sucks as it is. Throw a few feet of earth above it and it is bound to get worse.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sunshinejenn03's Avatar
    Thanks

The idea is cool, and I know Japan has been doing this for years with things as simple as vending machines. But I have my reservations about it. I live in DC and there are stops where criminals hang out, waiting for riders with devices like iPhones and iPods. This would just announce that the rider has an expensive device. So, sure, it saves money on the cost of the plastic and moves people along, but they'd have to increase security to make sure passengers are safe. I'll just stick with my smartcard.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12