Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Reportedly Seeking Facial Recognition Technology

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple Reportedly Seeking Facial Recognition Technology

There are reports that Apple may have purchased a Sweden-based tech firm that specializes in facial recognition technologies and similar applications that make it possible for gadgets and gizmos to identify users via their unique facial characteristics. If you're wondering if this could be the first step toward subsequent iPhones utilizing "facial recognition" as a security component, you are not alone.

With talk that next year's iPhone 5 will be all about speed and security (speed from AT&T's 4G network and a host of beefed up, cutting edge security features) it wouldn't be too difficult to imagine the powers-that-be in Cupertino investing heavily in the technology that this company - called "Polar Rose" (according to Google translation) - knows inside and out. Apple Insider reports that Polar Rose is a "small company with less than 20 employees." And its technology came as the result of research conducted in "two universities" in southern Sweden.

Although this report marks the first talk of its kind regarding the acquisition of a company that specializes in facial recognition, Apple has long been rumored to want similar technology in its full range of iDevices. Some will recall that prior to the iPad's release, there were reports from the likes of the Wall Street Journal that Apple's then-mythical tablet would be a device that would be shared by multiple family members -- "and it might even recognize their faces."

From reports to patent applications, there's no doubt that Apple is interested in facial recognition technology. And if Polar Rose doesn't prove the vehicle to delver the technology, it's a safe bet that Apple will find another way - or another source - to get or create what the company seems to have an unrelenting fascination with.

Apple Insider

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

dt0theh (09-20-2010), reaves205 (09-20-2010)

wow....so should I not buy the iphone 4 now and wait for iphone 5 or what???damn.....cant they just lump everyhing in 1 iphone at once???
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Jubah
    Jubah Online
    Jubah Muslimah
    Baju Hari Raya
    Baju Muslimah
    Baju Raya 2013
    Baju Kurung
    Baby Clothes

don't they already have that kind of tech in iPhoto 09

Quote Originally Posted by Ichwohneinloche View Post
    wow..
    Very insightful...

I can't see this being incorporated into the next iPhone (5?). The next gen iPhone is likely already in the testing phase, although I think it's a very interesting prospect.

Can't wait to see on my next phone .

Quote Originally Posted by algojobathosai View Post
    wow....so should I not buy the iphone 4 now and wait for iphone 5 or what???damn.....cant they just lump everyhing in 1 iphone at once???
    i agree completely... they know everyones contracts are 2 years, so why are they gonna force us to wait, unless of course AT&T decides to waive the 2 yr contract again...
    iPhone 3gs 16gb
    JB via Spirit 3.1.3
    iPhone 4... get in my pocket!

Would be a cool security feature that I would love to have

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Cool security feature I can't imagine most people using.

I will skip the iPhone 4 and wait for the iPhone 5, the biggest thing I'm hoping for is a REAL FM radio, non of this streaming business. Free to air TV would be a nice feature too, not everyone has unlimited data plans Apple!
    Internet killed the video star.

All I can say is Wow! Interesting news! So all them movies we watch like iron man and things like that. Pretty soon all that stuff will be here in the real world. Well not everything but most of it. I can see it now. Iphone scans face..beep noise "welcome back Mr. so and so" loll!!!I love technology even though it may be the death of us in the long run. Smh! GameCenter> Jaybrown

OS X - excellent enough to put on phones LGgeek's Avatar
    Thanks

"take off the hat and the sunglasses and if I recognize you, you can use your phone". As long as I could turn this kind of stupidity off go ahead Apple. I keep looking for the articles about there being a big problems with phones being stolen and used by the thief (in the new world thief becomes someone that assaults you so you will look into your phone to unlock it, then they reset).

I think my iphone4 may be the last Apple phone I buy. Apple was smart enough to make the phone much more than it was but it seems they are forgeting it's a phone.
    I don't drink kool-Aid, I don't join cults.
    This is why I break out in cold sweat going to Apple retail store.

Insane ! But seriously first fix some stuff on the iphone before going all-nuts with such ideas (aka god damn bluetooth)

^^^^Bluetooth has been fixed iOS4.1 buddy. Actually did a few bluetooth compatible games the other day and worked really well!

Not cool apple I had no I idea you hated us that much.

Yeah, good luck unlocking your phone with your face in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Yeah, good luck unlocking your phone with your face in the dark.
    Good point

They're gonna collect the information so they can say they have the prettiest customer base.

^^^pretty sure they'll have night mode for the front camera lol shouldnt be a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by algojobathosai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by s4boost View Post
    i agree completely... they know everyones contracts are 2 years, so why are they gonna force us to wait, unless of course AT&T decides to waive the 2 yr contract again...
    They know people will buy it because it's the NEW thing out. Eventually the iPhone will be just like the 2G (wack). Apple knows what they're doing so do I...it's called "Planned Obsolescence"
    Last edited by Superman0069; 09-20-2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Forgot to insert second quote

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andygev35 View Post
    Very insightful...

I can't see this being incorporated into the next iPhone (5?). The next gen iPhone is likely already in the testing phase, although I think it's a very interesting prospect.
    This is software. Not hardware. I see no reason this couldn't be incorporated into iOS5 and made available on the iPhone4 as well as the upcoming iPhone5. Personally I wouldn't mind an updated iPhone with a Cortex A9 based SoC. And I wouldn't mind Apple claiming facial recognition would only work on the new phone due to "hardware restrictions".
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast