Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Facebook May Join The Smartphone Crowd?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Facebook May Join The Smartphone Crowd?

In case you missed it, the Internet is buzzing (thanks to a supposed revelation over the weekend) that one of the world's largest social networks may be considering its very own smartphone development and launch. According to our friends at TechCrunch, the folks at Facebook are now at work of a phone of their own.

Although "sources" at Facebook(including those of yours truly) deny any knowledge of a Facebook branded smartphone, one year ago Tech Crunch somehow managed to correctly discover that Google was working on what would be come the Nexus One, all while similar "sources" denied the plan. Of course, a smartphone offering from Google is a lot different from one by Facebook.

That is, a Facebook smartphone - at least in theory - seems significantly limited in its application. And what, if anything, could a "Facebook Phone" offer users that, say, an iPhone running the Facebook app could not?

For now, according to the report, two "high level Facebook employees" Joe Hewitt and Matthew Papakipos are believed to be the ones "secretly" working on this particular project. Both have "deep operating system experience" and a desire to keep this project under wraps so that not even fellow Facebook employees know that this device is in the works. So far, mission accomplished, guys

Although we have no definitive way of knowing if and when a Facebook phone would ultimately reach consumers, today both social networking junkies and smartphone fanatics are weighing in on the relative value (or lack thereof) of a Facebook-branded smartphone. Would you be interested?

Tech Crunch

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

dt0theh (09-20-2010), reaves205 (09-20-2010)

Garmin did the same thing with their "garmin-phone". It pretty much failed. I mean it's not a bad device but It'll never reach the top with iPhone and android etc. I think this will be the same. Might be good for kids like the sidekick, but I doubt it'll turn into a HUGE success.

hate to be a stickler but Facebook already confirmed this was a rumor.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Ya facebook denied it but I know that creepy Mark Zuckerberg would love to index everyones text messages, phone calls, etc. for his marketing.

I wonder what they'll call their phone-to-phone video messaging? o.0
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

Thanks

If they did what would it be called? Facephone 
    What's next twitter to make phone? Tweephone

Don't care for it and will never get one lol.

Even if I never bought an iPhone before I would never buy a phone from Facebook. I mean their website already has a ton of privacy issues just imagine what information of yours they would be selling if you used their phone.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Thanks

Dumb.....
    now can I please have the time back that I spent reading this article?

Stupid. But to wonder what they could offer that a iPhone running facebook.app can't is like saying wander what nexus one can do that a iPhone running googlemobile.app can't. They would surely do little things different.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Aliquippakid For This Useful Post:

nrowensby (09-20-2010)

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickhesson View Post
    hate to be a stickler but Facebook already confirmed this was a rumor.

Drop the gloves !!! I have 2-1 odds that Nick could take Michael out !!!!! LMAO

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Back to your old form I see. Could you do us a favor and go on vacation soon, Messany?

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post

In case you missed it, the Internet is buzzing (thanks to a supposed revelation over the weekend) that one of the world's largest social networks may be considering its very own smartphone development and launch. According to our friends at TechCrunch, the folks at Facebook are now at work of a phone of their own.

Although "sources" at Facebook(including those of yours truly) deny any knowledge of a Facebook branded smartphone, one year ago Tech Crunch somehow managed to correctly discover that Google was working on what would be come the Nexus One, all while similar "sources" denied the plan. Of course, a smartphone offering from Google is a lot different from one by Facebook.

That is, a Facebook smartphone - at least in theory - seems significantly limited in its application. And what, if anything, could a "Facebook Phone" offer users that, say, an iPhone running the Facebook app could not?

For now, according to the report, two "high level Facebook employees" Joe Hewitt and Matthew Papakipos are believed to be the ones "secretly" working on this particular project. Both have "deep operating system experience" and a desire to keep this project under wraps so that not even fellow Facebook employees know that this device is in the works. So far, mission accomplished, guys

Although we have no definitive way of knowing if and when a Facebook phone would ultimately reach consumers, today both social networking junkies and smartphone fanatics are weighing in on the relative value (or lack thereof) of a Facebook-branded smartphone. Would you be interested?

Tech Crunch
    I can see the advertisements now, "The New Facebook Phone". Small print at the very bottom of the ad will read: not compatible with Twitter, Gmail, Buzz, Orkut, Myspace, OpenID, anything made by Microsoft or Zynga, etc... subject to change at anytime.

No thanks... I'll pass.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

ROTLMFAO! Now that's the best reply!!
    Though we all look different on the outside, we all bleed the same on the inside

Quote Originally Posted by tremerone View Post
    Dumb.....
    now can I please have the time back that I spent reading this article?
    it took you that long

iPhone? More like MyPhone nrowensby's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post
    If this were true, I'm sure it would be a new take on a phone OS... just like the "Google Phone" was...

So, if you were to ask, what can the "Google Phone" do that an iPhone running the Google App can't?

EDIT: Should've read the other comments first... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Aliquippakid View Post
    Stupid. But to wonder what they could offer that a iPhone running facebook.app can't is like saying wander what nexus one can do that a iPhone running googlemobile.app can't. They would surely do little things different.
    Last edited by nrowensby; 09-20-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Why does it seem like modmyi is always the last place to break the news.

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

Facebook: "I got an idea; let's make a smartphone focused on social networking!"
    K.Nitsua: "A smart man learns from his mistakes, a wise man learns from another..."

Engadget - The Microsoft Kin is Dead

Facebook: *facepalm*
    Last edited by k.nitsua; 09-20-2010 at 08:22 PM.
    #eli7e revived me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast