Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AppStore Developers Feel the Heat : Hackers Find Exploit in 4.x Without Jailbreak

Default AppStore Developers Feel the Heat : Hackers Find Exploit in 4.x Without Jailbreak

Disclaimer: ModMyi does not support or condone piracy in anyway. Please take this article as informational purposes only.

It's a rather unfortunate piece of news for AppStore developers, as a group of hackers have discovered an exploit that will allow a user to install cracked apps without the use of a "rooted" iDevice.

The group, iModZone, has created an App which goes by the name of IPA God, and claims that they have successfully been able to install these "cracked/beta" apps via their program. This potentially leads to a large amount of loss in sales for developers that work extremely hard to produce quality apps, which is a huge discouragement for any developer.

The hackers posted a video that demonstrates the process, but it's not really 100%, as we have no idea what Firmware they are running except for their claims. I'm also a little confused as to how they even got the installer on the iPad without a Jailbroken device. It appears to work on iPhone/iPod/iPad.

Well the installing apps by my method is something apple left in for developers to share there apps for beta testing over the internet
    However there is something more to this whole thing that really grinds my gears, and I'm sure it does many others as well. The hackers behind IPA God, have said that their App will actually cost money. It appears they are stating that the App will cost somewhere around $20!!! Not only is this extremely poor taste in Piracy, this is a complete insult to any AppStore developer that has been working many hard hours developing their paid App. This group decides to rip off other developers but at the same time, they turn around and are asking for money? Sounds a bit hypocritical don't you think?

We do not encourage the use of cracked apps or pirated software, and highly recommend you do NOT go near these guys. Do not encourage them in anyway, do not give them money, and for the love of god, please just purchase your Apps legally, so that the AppStore can continue to thrive. We don't want to discourage developers from creating great new apps.

If anything, I hope to see this 'IPA God' get cracked so that the hackers will see no profits out of this malicious act.

What are your thoughts about this? Could it all be a hoax to get some attention? Extremely poor taste in piracy?

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    I've seen this kind of installation before. It's actually a built-in feature to the OS, but only meant for distributing in-house apps (if the company you work for has custom apps not available on the App Store). You will probably have to register your UDID with their Ad Hoc Provisioning Profile for this to work. But the real question is "how do they sign apps that have already been compiled to their own developer account?"

However, it should be incredibly easy for Apple to shut this method down. All they have to do is cancel their developer account.

Source: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmTGx98BxTI]YouTube - IPA God - Download Cracked Apps On A Non Jailbroken Device Running iOS 4.1 & 4.2[/ame]
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 09-18-2010 at 10:21 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nick Hesson For This Useful Post:

Baz1205 (09-18-2010), Buffolus (09-18-2010), mojan (09-18-2010), oarce12 (09-19-2010), rainman99 (09-18-2010), Redneck1990 (09-19-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

what is to say that iPad isnt jbed?
    bs...

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

pointless. Jailbroken phones have programs for piracy anyway. Even with this "app," people would still prefer jailbreaking because of cydia and other tweaks/themes

For a gallery of my graphic artwork, click here

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Waylonzzz For This Useful Post:

TokinKiwi (09-18-2010)

So is the app on sale on the app store? If so, I doubt it will be for much longer if not already taken down.

Thanks

Yeah this is disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    So is the app on sale on the app store? If so, I doubt it will be for much longer if not already taken down.
    Lol, clearly it wont be for sale in the AppStore. Either way, it won't last long. You can expect Apple to patch these exploits ASAP or even change the way Apps are downloaded so that the IPA God app ceases to function, which would be cool

so that video shows it on an ipad.. hmmmm....should work for 4.2.

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

$20 wth. apple must have mightmares cause all hackers do is hack their products i dont hear muvh anything about windows based phones. than again i spend too much time on modmyi forum lmaoo.

Anyone paying for this will soon find their UDIDs blocked by Apple.
    I'm sure some people will be stupid enough to try it - but when the master account is blocked the owner will probably be prosecuted and all UDIDs linked will probably be blocked.
    It is something your really, really should steer clear of.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by nickhesson View Post

Disclaimer: ModMyi does not support or condone piracy in anyway. Please take this article as informational purposes only.

It's a rather unfortunate piece of news for AppStore developers, as a group of hackers have discovered an exploit that will allow a user to install cracked apps without the previous requirement of a Jailbroken iDevice.

The group, iModZone, has created an App which goes by the name of IPA God, and claims that they have successfully been able to install these "cracked/beta" apps via their program. This potentially leads to a large amount of loss in sales for developers that work extremely hard to produce quality apps, which is a huge discouragement for any developer.

The hackers posted a video that demonstrates the process, but it's not really 100%, as we have no idea what Firmware they are running except for their claims. I'm also a little confused as to how they even got the installer on the iPad without a Jailbroken device. It appears to work on iPhone/iPod/iPad.

However there is something more to this whole thing that really grinds my gears, and I'm sure it does many others as well. The hackers behind IPA God, have said that their App will actually cost money. It appears they are stating that the App will cost somewhere around $20!!! Not only is this extremely poor taste in Piracy, this is a complete insult to any AppStore developer that has been working many hard hours developing their paid App. This group decides to rip off other developers but at the same time, they turn around and are asking for money? Sounds a bit hypocritical don't you think?

We do not encourage the use of cracked apps or pirated software, and highly recommend you do NOT go near these guys. Do not encourage them in anyway, do not give them money, and for the love of god, please just purchase your Apps legally, so that the AppStore can continue to thrive. We don't want to discourage developers from creating great new apps.

If anything, I hope to see this 'IPA God' get cracked so that the hackers will see no profits out of this malicious act.

What are your thoughts about this? Could it all be a hoax to get some attention? Extremely poor taste in piracy?

Source: YouTube - IPA God - Download Cracked Apps On A Non Jailbroken Device Running iOS 4.1 & 4.2
    Well that is some **** for developers who needs to make earnestly living
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 09-18-2010 at 08:54 PM. Reason: language

imo it's a hoax and they're trying to collect $20 from as many idiots as they can before they disappear.

however IF it's real, it's a pretty big jump in piracy techniques. these guys could've put their knowledge to much better use and REALLY made some cash.
    Last edited by 2Jaze; 09-18-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Maybe apple released it to catch the people who actually buy it and use it. I'm just going to stick with jailbreaking and cydia.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to KBI2113 For This Useful Post:

bluerocker (03-17-2011)

As a dev, I find this disgusting

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Be Expressive For This Useful Post:

madden648 (09-19-2010), mysteryskater125 (09-19-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone madczech's Avatar
    Thanks

I dont see the difference between that and the other known app on cydia.... Pricay is piracy! Bad anyways, but it, i guess, will always exist... Just gotta find other ways to gain money with the apps developed, like in app purchases...
    I don't give a damn about Chuck Norris, Spongebob can grill under water!

I've seen this kind of installation before. It's actually a built-in feature to the OS, but only meant for distributing in-house apps (if the company you work for has custom apps not available on the App Store). You will probably have to register your UDID with their Ad Hoc Provisioning Profile for this to work. But the real question is "how do they sign apps that have already been compiled to their own developer account?"

However, it should be incredibly easy for Apple to shut this method down. All they have to do is cancel their developer account.

My iPhone is a Part of Me King Shady's Avatar
    Thanks

this is stupid. if they release this i will be pissed. so many people work hard to produce quality apps, and i know a ton of people would use this ****
    ]

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post

That is, I believe, what they are doing. But I also believe that Apple will not only shut the developers account, but prosecute as well. More than likely they will block the UDIDs of anyone using this account as well.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

$20 is a lot to ask for an app the let's you install .99 apps for free after. Seems like only a fool would but it.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Haha the dev is gonna charge for this. I give it a day til it's cracked. Irony hurts!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast