+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Voice Returns: App Store Approval Begins

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Last week Paul had discussed the soon to be return, of GV Mobile to the App store, and today an App has managed to sneak in before Sean's could. Google
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

Default Google Voice Returns: App Store Approval Begins

Last week Paul had discussed the soon to be return, of GV Mobile to the App store, and today an App has managed to sneak in before Sean's could.

Google Voice apps, once deemed to be unworthy of the AppStore due to Apple's claims that these apps were "duplicating features that the iPhone comes with (Dialer, SMS, etc)", leaving apps like GV Mobile to shift over to our beloved Jailbroken devices. However, with the recent changes to Apple's guidelines on getting Apps approved, it appears that Google Voice has come back to our iDevices.

Andreas Amann, the developer of GV Connect, submitted his app last week following Apple's new guidelines documentation for the App Store approval process.

Sean Kovac, the developer behind GV Mobile+, which we've seen in Cydia, has been submitted to the App Store as well and is awaiting approval. You can follow his blog here, and you can read about the chaos that ensued last year if you missed it.

So if your a big fan, you can hang on just a little longer, or for the small amount of $2.99, go ahead and start making Google Voice calls and SMS Messages with your Google Voice number.

iTunes Link - The app is now available in the App sore for $2.99.

• Place calls using your Google Voice number rather than your mobile number - enter number directly, select a contact from your device's contacts, or call back any number in your history.
    • Send and receive text messages (SMS) from your Google Voice number.
    • Listen to voicemails and recorded conversations right on your device (allowing you to pause, rewind, or fast forward to any point within the message) - voicemails will also show the transcription of the message when available.
    • Mark messages as starred, attach notes to conversations, block/unblock senders, or delete conversations.
    • Easily search in your history by contact, message, or note.
    • Messages are stored on your device for offline access.
    • Composing notes and text messages can be done in landscape mode.
    • Quickly change various Google Voice account settings (call forwarding, do-not-disturb, message notifications, …) directly from within the application.
    • Automatic checking for new messages while the application is active.
    • Direct access to your device's contacts without needing to synchronize them with Google
    • All communication is done with the Google Voice website directly, no need to hand over your account information to a third-party.
    • Full support for fast app switching in iOS4 and high-resolution graphics for retina displays.
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 09-17-2010 at 06:39 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

its up under gv connect

i will wait for sean i know what his app does and have used it for a while so will snag his version when it gets approved.
    Last edited by Cer0; 09-17-2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost-Quote Removed

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wolverinemarky For This Useful Post:

xerray (09-17-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone xerray's Avatar
    Thanks

Man I really want this!!! I bought an $15.00 iTunes card yesterday and used up all the money that was in it SHOOT
    It Takes One To Know One

Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

iPhone? More like MyPhone DisneyRicky's Avatar
    Thanks

You spelled store wrong
    My Devices:

iPod Touch 4g 4.1 - Jailbroken
    iPad 4.2.1 - Jailbroken

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickhesson View Post
    i always just open itunes and search for it the link usually takes me to itunes web page on apple.com and asks me if i want to download itunes

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm just going to use the web interface. It's free. I don't mind the difference in milliseconds, speed wise.

iPhone? More like MyPhone blueblaze4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Now what I want to see is an app that uses the front facing camera on the iPod Touch 4G/iPhone 4 that allows you to have a standard video chat with someone from that service (Google Voice, etc.) and I would DEFINITELY like to see FaceTime compatibility with iChat on Mac OS X.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

very nice getting it now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blueblaze4444 View Post
    Now what I want to see is an app that uses the front facing camera on the iPod Touch 4G/iPhone 4 that allows you to have a standard video chat with someone from that service (Google Voice, etc.) and I would DEFINITELY like to see FaceTime compatibility with iChat on Mac OS X.
    Skype!!!! (well hopefully soon) lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ikkviper For This Useful Post:

fgoson (09-17-2010)

Thanks

The app definitely needs improvements. Constant re-logins on launch? No contacts tab at the bottom, the only way to access contacts is by pushing the silhouette star icon? Disabled automatic refresh setting option? No push notification support? Only load 1-5 voicemails/SMS messages at a time? No landscape functionality support? No iPad version?! I shot Andreas an email about the stuff he needs to fix, so we'll just have to see. In the mean time, I'm saving my money.

Thanks

Using it.. interface is about the same. Definitely loads faster than GV Mobile for those who care.

Edit: Actually.. running into the constant re-log in issue now after a few more minutes of use.

Edit2: With backgrounder backgrounding, it will constantly flash Logging in...

Edit3: Not making any calls after the first time launching app.
    Last edited by itzbilly; 09-17-2010 at 07:40 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

If this is approved, I am sure we will see an official google version out soon enough for free. I'll wait for that instead.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Thanks

I can't find it....

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Garbage. It's no more useful than the web app. You can't receive calls. That's a waste. The only way to make this more useful than the web app is to utilize the backgrounding VOIP processes like Skype. Without that this thing is a waste of money.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Thanks

Sucks

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

All of you that are thinking about buying it are wasting your money. Sean's app will be free for 12 hrs once it appears in the AppStore. You should just wait it out.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

i wish i can make calls from the 3G network not calling my phone and then the other person.

Green Apple
    Thanks

And why does that look like Jajah.com ? I don't think Google bought out Jajah.com yet. You can already use Jajah without an app.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 838 Posts

Now I'm kind of wondering how I can turn my iPod into a telephone over wifi. Facetime is for people that want to make a call, but also want to burn up their battery -- I'd rather just have voice to voice over speakerphone