Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
iPhone Newsforums, a part of the
Last week Paul had discussed the soon to be return, of GV Mobile to the App store, and today an App has managed to sneak in before Sean's could. Google...
09-17-2010, 06:31 PM #1
Google Voice Returns: App Store Approval Begins
Last week Paul had discussed the soon to be return, of GV Mobile to the App store, and today an App has managed to sneak in before Sean's could.
Google Voice apps, once deemed to be unworthy of the AppStore due to Apple's claims that these apps were "duplicating features that the iPhone comes with (Dialer, SMS, etc)", leaving apps like GV Mobile to shift over to our beloved Jailbroken devices. However, with the recent changes to Apple's guidelines on getting Apps approved, it appears that Google Voice has come back to our iDevices.
Andreas Amann, the developer of GV Connect, submitted his app last week following Apple's new guidelines documentation for the App Store approval process.
Sean Kovac, the developer behind GV Mobile+, which we've seen in Cydia, has been submitted to the App Store as well and is awaiting approval. You can follow his blog here, and you can read about the chaos that ensued last year if you missed it.
So if your a big fan, you can hang on just a little longer, or for the small amount of $2.99, go ahead and start making Google Voice calls and SMS Messages with your Google Voice number.
iTunes Link - The app is now available in the App sore for $2.99.
• Place calls using your Google Voice number rather than your mobile number - enter number directly, select a contact from your device's contacts, or call back any number in your history.
• Send and receive text messages (SMS) from your Google Voice number.
• Listen to voicemails and recorded conversations right on your device (allowing you to pause, rewind, or fast forward to any point within the message) - voicemails will also show the transcription of the message when available.
• Mark messages as starred, attach notes to conversations, block/unblock senders, or delete conversations.
• Easily search in your history by contact, message, or note.
• Messages are stored on your device for offline access.
• Composing notes and text messages can be done in landscape mode.
• Quickly change various Google Voice account settings (call forwarding, do-not-disturb, message notifications, …) directly from within the application.
• Automatic checking for new messages while the application is active.
• Direct access to your device's contacts without needing to synchronize them with Google
• All communication is done with the Google Voice website directly, no need to hand over your account information to a third-party.
• Full support for fast app switching in iOS4 and high-resolution graphics for retina displays.
09-17-2010, 06:41 PM #2
its up under gv connect
i will wait for sean i know what his app does and have used it for a while so will snag his version when it gets approved.
Last edited by Cer0; 09-17-2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost-Quote Removed
The Following User Says Thank You to wolverinemarky For This Useful Post:
09-17-2010, 06:42 PM #3
Man I really want this!!! I bought an $15.00 iTunes card yesterday and used up all the money that was in it SHOOTIt Takes One To Know One
09-17-2010, 06:46 PM #4
09-17-2010, 06:47 PM #5
09-17-2010, 06:47 PM #6
09-17-2010, 06:59 PM #7
I'm just going to use the web interface. It's free. I don't mind the difference in milliseconds, speed wise.
09-17-2010, 07:06 PM #8
Now what I want to see is an app that uses the front facing camera on the iPod Touch 4G/iPhone 4 that allows you to have a standard video chat with someone from that service (Google Voice, etc.) and I would DEFINITELY like to see FaceTime compatibility with iChat on Mac OS X.
09-17-2010, 07:11 PM #9
very nice getting it now.
09-17-2010, 07:12 PM #10
The Following User Says Thank You to ikkviper For This Useful Post:
09-17-2010, 07:22 PM #11
The app definitely needs improvements. Constant re-logins on launch? No contacts tab at the bottom, the only way to access contacts is by pushing the silhouette star icon? Disabled automatic refresh setting option? No push notification support? Only load 1-5 voicemails/SMS messages at a time? No landscape functionality support? No iPad version?! I shot Andreas an email about the stuff he needs to fix, so we'll just have to see. In the mean time, I'm saving my money.
09-17-2010, 07:35 PM #12
Using it.. interface is about the same. Definitely loads faster than GV Mobile for those who care.
Edit: Actually.. running into the constant re-log in issue now after a few more minutes of use.
Edit2: With backgrounder backgrounding, it will constantly flash Logging in...
Edit3: Not making any calls after the first time launching app.
Last edited by itzbilly; 09-17-2010 at 07:40 PM.
09-17-2010, 07:41 PM #13
If this is approved, I am sure we will see an official google version out soon enough for free. I'll wait for that instead.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings
09-17-2010, 07:42 PM #14
09-17-2010, 07:54 PM #15
Garbage. It's no more useful than the web app. You can't receive calls. That's a waste. The only way to make this more useful than the web app is to utilize the backgrounding VOIP processes like Skype. Without that this thing is a waste of money.They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.
09-17-2010, 08:00 PM #16
09-17-2010, 08:22 PM #17
All of you that are thinking about buying it are wasting your money. Sean's app will be free for 12 hrs once it appears in the AppStore. You should just wait it out.
09-17-2010, 08:44 PM #18
i wish i can make calls from the 3G network not calling my phone and then the other person.
09-17-2010, 09:44 PM #19
And why does that look like Jajah.com ? I don't think Google bought out Jajah.com yet. You can already use Jajah without an app.
09-17-2010, 10:17 PM #20