+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Bashed Again by Consumer Reports

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Over the weekend, my colleague and fellow MMi staff writer Wiley John Wright covered the forthcoming conclusion of Apple's free iPhone 4 case program . As we've known for some
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Bashed Again by Consumer Reports

Over the weekend, my colleague and fellow MMi staff writer Wiley John Wright covered the forthcoming conclusion of Apple's free iPhone 4 case program. As we've known for some time, the program in question will draw to a close in two weeks on September 30th. Understandably, however, all are not pleased with the decision by Apple to halt the case program.

In particular, the folks at Consumer Reports (who first ripped Apple to shreds in the wake of "Antennagate") are taking yet another strong stand against Apple and reiterating the publication's refusal to recommend the iPhone 4. Yesterday on its official blog, Consumer Reports once again condemned Apple's "less consumer-friendly" actions. That is, "Putting the onus on any owners of a product to obtain a remedy to a design flaw is not acceptable to us," the note from Consumer Reports read.

We therefore continue not to recommend the iPhone 4, and to call on Apple to provide a permanent fix for the phone's reception issues.
    But Apple has repeatedly stated (when asked by inquiring journalists) that the company will not extend the free case program because, according to the folks in Cupertino, the "problem" that the case was meant to solve has largely faded away. After all, Steve Jobs himself said he thought "Antennagate" was an overblown media feeding frenzy and little else. It now appears that Apple's decision to go through with discontinuing the free case program confirms Jobs' opinion and stated desire to "get past" this unfortunate chapter in Apple's history.

Consumer Reports

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (09-14-2010)

Thanks

Is this Consumer Reports' way to get some publicity for itself?
    - CTRobins
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    When it comes to Humility.... I am the greatest!
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

Can you please leave apple alone

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I got a free case and never use it. I don't like how bulky they make the phone. And to be honest I don't have problems with the reception. Even with this so called "Antennagate" I still get better reception on my 4 than my 3GS.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to trevorrawson For This Useful Post:

Raptors (09-14-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trevorrawson View Post
    I got a free case and never use it. I don't like how bulky they make the phone. And to be honest I don't have problems with the reception. Even with this so called "Antennagate" I still get better reception on my 4 than my 3GS.
    i am glad you guys dont have issues but i do and "antennagate" does exist to many of us. There is a design flaw and in my opinion the phone never should have been released with this issue.

As just a phone the iphone 4 is a miserable failure in my opinion. i drop 30% of my calls however apple offered to refund anyone that wasnt happy so even with 30% drops i still keep my iphone 4 because i know all other phones are inferior.

just dont waive the apple flag because they did do some shady stuff with the iphone4....

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sungod661 For This Useful Post:

Alr011 (09-14-2010), NiteStar (09-14-2010), sbcdk (09-14-2010)

Thanks

I've been through a bunch of different i4s... They all have had the problem, just to different degrees. Apple should man up and fix them.

On a side note, the problem is far less prevalent with the 16gb models...

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragonAn View Post
    Can you please leave apple alone
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

11. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

The_13th_Plague (09-14-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    exactly what i pictured

Thanks
    Default I do too and I did return my Iphone 4 after 13 days
    Quote Originally Posted by sungod661 View Post
    i am glad you guys dont have issues but i do and "antennagate" does exist to many of us. There is a design flaw and in my opinion the phone never should have been released with this issue.

As just a phone the iphone 4 is a miserable failure in my opinion. i drop 30% of my calls however apple offered to refund anyone that wasnt happy so even with 30% drops i still keep my iphone 4 because i know all other phones are inferior.

just dont waive the apple flag because they did do some shady stuff with the iphone4....
    I think, still I need to make phone calls first and then have options in my phone to make me happy, but in this case ( iphone 4 ) I can not make clear phone call , and I have the best phone in the market .

That is why I returned my 4 even I like it.

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Evidently its not affecting sales.
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TheOrioles33 For This Useful Post:

GranDaddyPurp (09-14-2010)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post
    ...After all, Steve Jobs himself said he thought "Antennagate" was an overblown media feeding frenzy and little else...
    Everything Apple does is turned into "an overblown media feeding frenzy and little else"; why should this be any different? If Jobs doesn't want the frenzy to be negative, he should keep crap from ever making it into the hands of his customers.

Then again, that would mean he'd have to care about his customers in the first place...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You people crack me up. How many people actually have the problem? Now ask yourselves how many people buy some kind of case (regardless of whether or not it will help with an antenna problem) to just cover your device to keep it in "NEW" condition? So what's all the crying for? The iPhone 4 is an amazing device and a case, whether free (for design flaw reasons) or purchased (to go with your "glowing" personality) is something we ALL will seek out.

Just stop your ******** people!!!!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CtHater For This Useful Post:

Doran (09-15-2010), durdan1 (09-14-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 40,559 Times in 7,513 Posts

I have an i4 16gb, have not had any signal issues or proximity issues. Running on Rogers network in Canada. I did send for the free case though cause, wtf, it's free. Sorry for the users (mostly in the US) who have signal and dropped call issues.
    I would love someone to take a trip north and roam on Rogers and see if you still have a signal issue or if it's just AT&T's network. Just sayin.
    I also bought my own case, Roots Tuff. Had one on my 3G, sure it's bulky but I cartwheeled my 3G with that case on and not even a scratch.
    Just happy to protect my phone.
    Regardless of what consumer reports wants to publish this is the best phone I've owned.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh and for those that are curious, I purchased one and got a free one (just cause it was free).

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    lol...

But any who I have an i4 which I got in the mail about 3weeks after the launch date back in June and since day one I've never had any issues with it. First month had it without a case and from there on within a case but has been the same either way. So am really happy with my i4.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I bought an iPhone 4 and returned it because of this bridging the gap problem. A case is not a solution, therefore I am not buying one until that is fixed. And I hope the proximity sensor issue is also resolved...
    Consumer Reports is right on their stance. This is a design flaw, to make consumer of the product to request then wait for the product is bad enough now they are discontinuing it?
    I am on Consumer Reports side on this issue, Apple needs to do a permanent fix to this problem. And discontinue free bumper is a cheap (stop loss) move for Apple.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to unison999 For This Useful Post:

greek.guy (09-14-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Blah blah blah Consumer Report blah blah blah... I've had zero issues with my iPhone 4 and personally, highly recommend it to anyone looking for a new phone. I'm tired of Gizmodo and Consumer Reports repeatedly bashing Apple and their products. Free, easy publicity, what?
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billchase2 View Post
    Blah blah blah Consumer Report blah blah blah... I've had zero issues with my iPhone 4 and personally, highly recommend it to anyone looking for a new phone. I'm tired of Gizmodo and Consumer Reports repeatedly bashing Apple and their products. Free, easy publicity, what?
    You have no issues with your phone therefor nobody else can or will either. Impeccable logic there...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I agree with Consumer reports. I've never been a big fan of cases but I'm stuck using one. The antenna problem is on the worst spot of the phone where you hold it!

I know you guys love Apple but any other company would have been crucified if they did what Apple did....first deny it, then try to point the finger at everyone else and finally give everyone a free case to put over the problem. Then the hype dies down and they take the free case away. It's still a problem, big problem!

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    You have no issues with your phone therefor nobody else can or will either. Impeccable logic there...
    Consumer Reports has issues with their iPhone, therefore, everybody else can or will too? Impeccable logic there as well...
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast