+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS Gamers Exploding in US

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default iOS Gamers Exploding in US

The number of gamers who enjoy mobile video games on their iOS device is skyrocketing, according to the findings of a new report. The International Gamers Survey from NewZoo indicates that better than half of the nearly 80 million Americans who play mobile games in the U.S. are now engaging in those mobile gaming activities on an iOS device.

In other words, there may be approximately 40 million iDevice mobile gamers lurking among us today. The data, which was collected from roughly 10,000 respondents in June, is probably now on the light side. Given that the iPhone 4 was just released this summer and has since sold like gangbusters around the world, the number of mobile iOS gamers is likely far higher than this survey suggests. Still, according to the findings presented, Nintendo DS and DSi gamers only total 41 million. So instead of Apple having to catch up to other "big boys" in the mobile gaming space, it now appears that the tables have been turned - although it should be noted that in several European markets (where iDevice availability is more limited), Nintendo still places far ahead of iOS among mobile gamers users.

In case you're wondering, the survey also showed that Apple's iOS continues to eat away at the market-share of the Sony Playstation Portable. What does it all mean? “Recent growth in the sales figures of the iPod Touch could be an indication that people are increasingly seeing Apple’s portable devices as game platform," said Peter Warman, NewZoo Managing Director. "The youth seems to be moving from trying their parents device to buying an iPod Touch for themselves. Being able to start off playing free games is a key advantage of iOS and Android devices and comparable to successful social gaming and MMO business models."

NewZoo

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

dt0theh (09-14-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

This is very awesome, they are great time killers when waiting in long lines or at a meeting even for us adults. It would be nice if they created some sort of an attachment for the iDevice so it makes it a bit easier to play. It just makes sense, its easy to put in your pocket and you have it all the time.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

I can't tell you how much gaming I do on my iPhone. An now that I can start playing games against my Android friends it's getting better. Need more of those.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Sonys new add campaign for the PSP supports this data. Their commercials basically bash the iPhone as a gaming platform, and they have that terribly annoying little black kid as their spokesman (he was cute for a month like 2 years ago, now just annoying). Sony is obviously scared of mobile phones taking sales away from the PSP, and is attempting with these commercials to make phones look "lame" as gaming devices, and the PSP "cool"....Looks like your a little to late Sony!
    El Zurdo

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

I dont understand, all my friends say its just me but i cannot play a game a small screen like that, its no fun and to hard and I don't want to buy addons to a $699 smartphone. Which is why i bought the ipad because the screen is bigger, but i returned it (due to it had no camera and its worth waiting a couple months for it + im sure it will be a fast model to).

So am i the only one that feel this way?

ps. I wonder how many out of the 40M will still be active users, even if they still are at the moment. (not bashing, just voicing my opinion)

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

Thanks

I really don't enjoy gaming on it at all. Give me some proper buttons any day.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Caboose1408's Avatar
    Thanks

It sux that game was never made. Vans Finger Fracture.

The 20th Member
    Thanks

I do love me the angry birds and pvz

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    Once you purchase a product surely its up to you if you put it in a blender or drive over it in a car, what right do Apple have to stop us abusing our stuff? thats like saying you can't slap your girlfriend, she's your girlfriend, you own her, you can do what you want to her lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Whats that game of the picture ???

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

what is that game?

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    I dont understand, all my friends say its just me but i cannot play a game a small screen like that, its no fun and to hard and I don't want to buy addons to a $699 smartphone. Which is why i bought the ipad because the screen is bigger, but i returned it (due to it had no camera and its worth waiting a couple months for it + im sure it will be a fast model to).

So am i the only one that feel this way?

ps. I wonder how many out of the 40M will still be active users, even if they still are at the moment. (not bashing, just voicing my opinion)
    i for one would rather play on my ipod then on a nintendo, or a psp, its way more fun, and has a many more games
    and if u have seen the nintendo, it truely sucks

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well not really still long way to go... There some of the game that u play don't even exits on ios but hey yeah mostly kids games are on ios it's good for kids.. Last time I checked and top paid apps was angry bird so u can imagine how many kids are having itouch but I would love to see some great games coming on iPhone and specially to iPad which is with big screen.. I'm not really botherd about bottoms I think touch ones are cool

iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

Kewl. I always enjoyed gaming my my iPod touch 2g then my iPad and now my iPhone 4 =D

Thanks

Most games on the AppStore are horrible. I might find something entertaining but I have yet to find a game that I actually want to keep playing. I'm just not satisfied with launching birds onto a structure to watch round pigs poof. Lol

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Sony is reducing their market share without any help. The PSP has been tanking and the PSP GO was a joke. They are extremely vulnerable with such an old handheld. The graphics on the iPhone far surpass either handheld and it does far more besides games. Buttons are certainly better, but the lack of them on the iPhone is a minor issue when there is so much more content with better graphics, cheaper game prices, longer battery life, and ability to do many other things.
    Really?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

The game being played in the photo is called "finger fracture"

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

I do agree there are a lot of gamers on iOS devices but how long are they playing for. I only play for maybe 10 to 15 minutes on my iPhone but on my PSP I play for like an hour or two. I like the games on iOS but most are just time wasters for when you are bored. I would like to see more games on iOS like Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep or MGS: Peace Walker then I think I would be spending more time on my iOS device but without buttons I think it's impossible so I'm still hoping they make an attachable controller or another tweak like using the wii controller for the snes emulator but for other controllers (PS3 controller would make sense since it uses bluetooth, I connect it to my Mac through bluetooth and it is awesome!).
    Last edited by Antman217; 09-14-2010 at 01:49 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Probably because most of the games take no talent whatsoever to play. You can play them by tapping on the screen and have so much error correction in them so you don't get frustrated with the **** controls, everyone wins. Seriously, what racing game do you know accelerates for you and you don't need to brake. iOS is just the new Wii and like the Wii, it will fade out of existence soon enough too.

Thanks

I HOPE I DON'T EXPLODE! I LOVE MY iPHONE GAMES!

What an unfortunate use of words for the title of this article... I couldn't resist.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to wcbardwell For This Useful Post:

mortopher (09-14-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone gcastro723's Avatar
    Thanks

Coming to the iPhone January 2011...
    the most epic game of 2010...
    HALO REACH.

using unreal's 3d game engine, you'll be able to headshot grunts in crystal clear quality...

Remember Reach.

If you can see this you are one of the many people who can see this.