+ Reply
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 475

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Cydia Acquires Rock.app

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by k.nitsua You can already filter out themes. Open cydia, go to sections, press edit, and turn off the sections you don't care for. I'm all for competition,
...
  1. #41
    Developer
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    109
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 323 Times in 67 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by k.nitsua View Post
    You can already filter out themes. Open cydia, go to sections, press edit, and turn off the sections you don't care for.

    I'm all for competition, but a united jailbreak community will be beneficial for all of us... Whatever gets Saurik back to updating WinterBoard (per page wallpapers, retina display UI, faster HTML wallpaper loads on the iPhone 4, etc).
    a) Did per page wallpapers break? I will look into it. I did not know this.
    b) There are already numerous themes for the iPhone 4's retina display: WinterBoard (as opposed to SummerBoard, which many themes are designed for) should have no limitations in what it can theme.
    c) I am not in control of the speed of HTML.

  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to saurik For This Useful Post:

    ALIEN1974 (09-11-2010), a_lunatic (09-11-2010), cj.artworks (09-12-2010), hfelsh (09-11-2010), mortopher (09-11-2010), SkeleDork (09-11-2010), TCcentex (09-11-2010)

  3. #42
    Livin the iPhone Life rhekt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,294
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 65 Times in 53 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Please read Saurik's response to why it loads faster.
    no kidding. i cant stand it when you get so many responses of people who dont even read the previous statements
    killall Terminal[]

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rhekt For This Useful Post:

    Aldog18 (09-11-2010), jasvncnt10 (09-13-2010)

  5. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Forgoten Dynasty View Post
    lol Can you say monopoly? Isn't that what users jailbroke for? So they can truly "think differently". Don't get me wrong I love cydia and I fully understand the concept of "If you don't like it create your own". I just find it slightly ironic.


    Alwelt Congrats saruik and thanks for for everything you do (and continue to do) to contribute to the community.


    EDIT: BTW does this mean I can finally get rid of all those crappy rock extensions?
    Lol.

    Installer and icy are like the Linux of 3rd party uploaders/downloaders. microsofts not even in it ( I suppose they're roles played by nokia) rock is android market ( valiant effort) and cydia is our apple... Spooky mirror lol jk

  6. #44
    Developer
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    109
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 323 Times in 67 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by MadMan29729 View Post
    so will cydia be getting rock apps

    1. minimize on confirm? (install while still browsing for apps)
    2. check for updates like rock app (even when closed)
    3. soft reboot upon exit rather than immediately?
    1) This is not safe, as installations sometimes do drastic modifications to the system. It really needs to not be possible to task switch while an installation is occurring. Cydia is not the App Store: there are no safe little boxes with guaranteed use cases that are drawn around the packages it installs.

    2) I really want to add this, but I got a nearly unanimous response from users outside of the US that this was "evil" as it would cost them money while they were sleeping, and the power users complained that it cost memory and battery power. I am intending to approach the subject again and look into making it a configuration option.

    3) This is not possible. I realize Rock does it, and it even seems to work, but it really does not. There are some horrible corner cases that come up when you have an incoming phone call that cause the entire phone to kernel panic if you try to do this. Cydia actually /used/ to do this, for like a year or so when it first came out, and I had to change it due to the issues it caused.

  7. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to saurik For This Useful Post:

    a_lunatic (09-11-2010), durdan1 (09-11-2010), FATE43 (09-12-2010), hfelsh (09-11-2010), mortopher (09-13-2010), NetMage (09-11-2010), o3okevin (09-11-2010), Simon (09-11-2010), SkeleDork (09-11-2010), TheSmartGuy (09-11-2010), Trooper Sam (09-11-2010)

  8. #45
    What's Jailbreak? hellzblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    my basement
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    sounds like this should be interesting. personally i prefer rock but loved using cydia before, congrats to all involved.

  9. #46
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default R.i.p rock
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMan29729 View Post
    so will cydia be getting rock apps

    1. minimize on confirm? (install while still browsing for apps)
    2. check for updates like rock app (even when closed)
    3. soft reboot upon exit rather than immediately?
    All those process are why Cydia is better than ROCK... They cause packages malfunctions and errors when you are using them. Cydia is from far the best installer out there, it only need a new fresh design :P

  10. #47
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    1) This is not safe, as installations sometimes do drastic modifications to the system. It really needs to not be possible to task switch while an installation is occurring. Cydia is not the App Store: there are no safe little boxes with guaranteed use cases that are drawn around the packages it installs.

    2) I really want to add this, but I got a nearly unanimous response from users outside of the US that this was "evil" as it would cost them money while they were sleeping, and the power users complained that it cost memory and battery power. I am intending to approach the subject again and look into making it a configuration option.

    3) This is not possible. I realize Rock does it, and it even seems to work, but it really does not. There are some horrible corner cases that come up when you have an incoming phone call that cause the entire phone to kernel panic if you try to do this. Cydia actually /used/ to do this, for like a year or so when it first came out, and I had to change it due to the issues it caused.
    couldn't you make it like the app store where it checks automatically on say respring or power up? and check every hour or daily or whatever? that wouldn't be to bad on the battery! would it?

    and have the option to enable/disable in cydia settings

  11. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    here
    Posts
    2,651
    Thanks
    559
    Thanked 2,938 Times in 1,095 Posts

    @ saurik

    I have no idea what an shsh or a blob is but thanks for saving my blob.

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to floppy_joe For This Useful Post:

    Late_Nights (09-12-2010), MockPoser (09-11-2010), mortopher (09-11-2010), Zenitram (09-11-2010)

  13. #49
    Super Moderator Cer0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    MN/WI
    Posts
    13,999
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by MadMan29729 View Post
    couldn't you make it like the app store where it checks automatically on say respring or power up? and check every hour or daily or whatever? that wouldn't be to bad on the battery! would it?

    and have the option to enable/disable in cydia settings
    He just said he was thinking about looking at it as an option to turn off and on. And he listed the reasons why he hasn't yet did that.

  14. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    a) Did per page wallpapers break? I will look into it. I did not know this.
    b) There are already numerous themes for the iPhone 4's retina display: WinterBoard (as opposed to SummerBoard, which many themes are designed for) should have no limitations in what it can theme.
    c) I am not in control of the speed of HTML.
    Winterboard has never shown theme wallpapers for me. When I download individual wallpapers from cydia, they don't even appear in winterboard.

    You are my brains idol by the way. Maaaad respect.

    Cydia and winterboard just don't seem to feel like they have made a home in iPhone 4. It feels like you are running something from your older phone in the form of lacking in all the new luster of the device and Rocks portrayal of Cleaner for Iphone4.

    FYI, I live and die by cydia, it's just my input that the lack of updates may be causing the hardcore cydia fans, myself included, with iPhone 4s to feel like it's not quite insync.

    I KNOW U R ENDLESSLY working on it, so I'm not asking or expecting anything more. Just saying. Sir.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to kayvong8 For This Useful Post:

    hfelsh (09-11-2010)

  16. #51
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default iDevices are NOT windows-like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    He just said he was thinking about looking at it as an option to turn off and on. And he listed the reasons why he hasn't yet did that.
    Plus, we dont want our iDevices to run like windows... Always lagging because it check for update every second!

    Quote Originally Posted by kayvong8 View Post
    Winterboard has never shown theme wallpapers for me. When I download individual wallpapers from cydia, they don't even appear in winterboard.

    You are my brains idol by the way. Maaaad respect.

    Cydia and winterboard just don't seem to feel like they have made a home in iPhone 4. It feels like you are running something from your older phone in the form of lacking in all the new luster of the device and Rocks portrayal of Cleaner for Iphone4.

    FYI, I live and die by cydia, it's just my input that the lack of updates may be causing the hardcore cydia fans, myself included, with iPhone 4s to feel like it's not quite insync.

    I KNOW U R ENDLESSLY working on it, so I'm not asking or expecting anything more. Just saying. Sir.
    Lets not forget that the team is working their *** off to give us jailbreak ASAP... If that mean less update, im ready to wait! I rather have a working jailbreak that a "100% working version" of everything that is on the Cydia Store
    Last edited by PhilippeLabat; 09-11-2010 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  17. #52
    Livin the iPhone Life rhekt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,294
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 65 Times in 53 Posts

    as much as i have liked the different apps Rock initially provided. Cydias acquisition of Rock is the right move.

    Quote Originally Posted by floppy_joe View Post
    @ saurik

    I have no idea what an shsh or a blob is but thanks for saving my blob.
    1,431 posts and no idea what an SHSH or a "blob" is
    Last edited by rhekt; 09-11-2010 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    killall Terminal[]

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to rhekt For This Useful Post:

    PhilippeLabat (09-11-2010)

  19. #53
    perma-banned for life
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Photoshop CS5
    Posts
    8,424
    Thanks
    10,454
    Thanked 7,050 Times in 3,590 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    as much as i have liked the different apps Rock initially provided. Cydias acquisition of Rock is the right move.



    1,431 posts and no idea what an SHSH or a "blob" is
    thats floppy for ya...

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Raaj FX was banned For This Useful Post:

    rhekt (09-11-2010)

  21. #54
    Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ventura, California, United States
    Posts
    594
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts

    Rock sucks... Cydia FTW

  22. #55
    Green Apple VBLUE42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Posts
    81
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by J Sweeney View Post
    Will Cydia have features that Rock had such as backups, really fast loading and a better UI
    Yeah this is the biggest concern for me. I was forced to restore yesterday and was not able to get 4.01 reinstalled. iTunes 10 kept stalling the install at about 70%. I had to install 4.1 to get my phone back until the 4.1 jailbreak is released but all my app backups are in Rock. If I cant access those backups I will not be able to remember everything I had.

    Edit: Never mind. Just saw this from Saurik.

    Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    Rock's backup feature will be coming to Cydia. Rock only had faster loading because it did not honor APT correctly, so there were numerous buggy situations where you got screwed: there was even a recent time when Rock was screwing up an installation so core that everyone had to restore... Rock's speed was just because it was sloppy.
    Last edited by VBLUE42; 09-11-2010 at 01:01 AM.

  23. #56
    iPhoneaholic dscottjr81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    413
    Thanks
    386
    Thanked 147 Times in 109 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by J Sweeney View Post
    Will Cydia have features that Rock had such as backups, really fast loading and a better UI
    Same here

  24. #57
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    158
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Cydia is growing bigger & bigger...

  25. #58
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Its interesting guys .... sounds like Cydia is 'big business' too but of course nowhere near as Apple....

    I think the Dev rules relaxation are just the beginning Apple are on their way for more ani-trust challenges in the same way that microsoft were for not allowing competitor software or bundled IE with Windows.

  26. #59
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
    Out of curiosity, how will Rock purchases (app/licenses/etc.) transfer over to Cydia? Will Rock ID's vanish entirely, or will they somehow get rolled into Cydia?

  27. #60
    Livin the iPhone Life rhekt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,294
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 65 Times in 53 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ArDottCeeDuble View Post
    thats floppy for ya...
    thanks.im pretty sure he was jus a kiddin seems like a faker account anyways
    killall Terminal[]

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts