Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Did The iPhone Bring Down Nokia's CEO?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Did The iPhone Bring Down Nokia's CEO?

Early this morning, Nokia announced that Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo, the company’s longtime chief executive, is leaving his posh position as of September 20th. The announcement indicated that the new chief will be Microsoft's Stephen Elop, who will formally take the helm of Nokia the following morning. Nokia’s Board of Directors has appointed Stephen Elop President and Chief Executive Officer of Nokia. Until September 21st, Elop will remain "head of Microsoft’s Business Division."

The announcement of Nokia's power shift didn't surprise many, especially given the company's nearly hopeless recent history of competing with major players in the increasingly competitive smartphone marketplace. In May, Kallasuvuo publicly admitted that Nokia flat-out failed to combat the iPhone, a reality that now appears may have helped to cost the outgoing CEO his job.

“The time is right to accelerate the company’s renewal; to bring in new executive leadership with different skills and strengths in order to drive company success,” said Jorma Ollila, Chairman of the Nokia Board of Directors. In other words, Nokia needs a big thinker who isn't afraid to take on the iPhone and never admit that Apple has whipped them like a schoolyard bully. “The Nokia board believes that Stephen has the right industry experience and leadership skills to realize the full potential of Nokia. His strong software background and proven record in change management will be valuable assets as we press harder to complete the transformation of the company.”

Although Kallasvuo will officially resign as president and CEO on Sept. 20, he isn't being completely thrown under the bus. He will, after all, continue to chair the Board of Nokia Siemens Networks in a non-executive capacity.

Nokia

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

alnaggar (09-10-2010), reaves205 (09-11-2010)

Nokia needs to create there own mobile OS or create their own flavor of Android to be competitive. All they need is a beautiful design, hardware that can compete(i.e SnapDragon 2 or Hummingbird chip), and a solid/stable OS. Then they will be back in the ball game.

I'm surprised nokia has been around this long as is..

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

Nokia seems to be behind anyways, they talked all this comeback stuff and getting with the program of things but looks like it was a little tougher than expected, just a guess though im sure it will come back as personal issues or something like that

Did you write this? Nokia is the global leader in overall cellphone sales (their market share actually went UP 5% in the last quarter).

If anyone deserved to get fired for a lack of smartphone sales it should be the head of the smartphone division.

Quote Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
    Nokia needs to create there own mobile OS or create their own flavor of Android to be competitive. All they need is a beautiful design, hardware that can compete(i.e SnapDragon 2 or Hummingbird chip), and a solid/stable OS. Then they will be back in the ball game.
    They have with Symbian 3 and Maemo, they just haven't done a very good job.
    Last edited by PM5K; 09-10-2010 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by PM5K View Post
    Did you write this? Nokia is the global leader in overall cellphone sales (their market share actually went UP 5% in the last quarter).

If anyone deserved to get fired for a lack of smartphone sales it should be the head of the smartphone division.

They have with Symbian 3 and Maemo, they just haven't done a very good job.
    The key words was "solid/stable OS". I think you might have missed those words. Besides, a great OS is worthless without hardware.

Also, this article isn't written clearly. This CEO didn't get fired because of the iPhone itself. He got fired because Nokia couldn't compete with the idevice platform. Look how much the AppStore has grossed. Look how much Apple has grossed off iTunes and phone accessories. Nokia is one of largest mobile phone manufacturers in the world, but still can't compete in its own market. A market that it help create for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
    He got fired because Nokia couldn't compete with the idevice platform.
    They don't compete in the Smartphone market at all, you could just as easily say he got fired because they can't compete with Android devices and the Android market.

Quote Originally Posted by PM5K View Post
    They don't compete in the Smartphone market at all, you could just as easily say he got fired because they can't compete with Android devices and the Android market.
    True. The SmartPhone market as a whole is kicking their butts. I'm rooting for Nokia though. The used to make some great mobile devices.

The biggest mistake Nokia made was the OS, and the interface. I've a iPhone and a e71. I still maintain the 71 is a better tool, it can do all the things out of the box that the iPhone won't/can't. The iPhone is a better toy, the 71 a better comms device. BUT.... The OS on the 71 and the user inftrface is just pants. Even now a huge amount of space on the homescreen is left blank, a huge no no in todays smartphone scene.

It's right the CEO takes the hit. Smart phones are the future of mobile devices, for Nokia to have taken their eye off the ball on this simple fact can fall only at the door of the CEO.

Fail

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Its a no-brainer. Nokia needs to make Android based devices. I can be the CEO! I will take my $1 salary in advance please!
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

Quote Originally Posted by Nelly998 View Post
    Nokia... Psh
    +1

What brought hom down was his ressistance to go beyond Symbian. Best phones I've ever owned in terms of build quality and speaker quality have always been Nokia. Granted they have their stinkers but it's a common theme with everyone I know, They always wish Nokia would release an Android or Windows based phone. Android saved Motorola, hopefullu Nokia's new CEO will be more open to Android and Windows Phone 7

why is nokia still around? all they do is make garbage phones for the poor people hahahhahahahahahahahaha.

it's not just the phone IT'S the APPS

Quote Originally Posted by alnaggar View Post
    it's not just the phone IT'S the APPS
    it's everything they should be dead a long time ago lol.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

This guy is behind his stepping down. Nokia saw the iPhone coming from a mile away and the best they can do is the N8 with a CPU from 2 generations ago and brought to market 3 years after it should have been. If I were a shareholder I would have been demanding this guy be fired back in 2007 when Apple shipped it's first million iPhones. Apple managed to dominate a 3G market with a 2G phone and Nokia couldn't do a thing about it? They have the engineers and the money, and yet they can't get their act together. It's the CEO's job to ensure this kind of thing doesn't happen.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    This guy is behind his stepping down. Nokia saw the iPhone coming from a mile away and the best they can do is the N8 with a CPU from 2 generations ago and brought to market 3 years after it should have been. If I were a shareholder I would have been demanding this guy be fired back in 2007 when Apple shipped it's first million iPhones. Apple managed to dominate a 3G market with a 2G phone and Nokia couldn't do a thing about it? They have the engineers and the money, and yet they can't get their act together. It's the CEO's job to ensure this kind of thing doesn't happen.
    you sir are right lol.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shoey5 View Post
    What brought hom down was his ressistance to go beyond Symbian. Best phones I've ever owned in terms of build quality and speaker quality have always been Nokia. Granted they have their stinkers but it's a common theme with everyone I know, They always wish Nokia would release an Android or Windows based phone. Android saved Motorola, hopefullu Nokia's new CEO will be more open to Android and Windows Phone 7
    Nokia is right in sticking to developing it's own OS and Store. Relegating Nokia to just another pusher of commodity hardware is a huge mistake. Motorola dropped out of the dumb phone sector and is now a tiny shadow of what it was 10 years ago, albeit it is finally profitable. Apple showed that the platform, not the hardware, is what people want (the first iPhone lacked 3G, a decent camera, apps, and sported last-gen hardware). Apple covered every base. They have the market, the hardware, and iTunes, and it all comes together beautifully. No one else is doing that. Sony tried, but got nowhere. Nokia can't compete with HTC on manufacturing. The problem with Android and Windows Mobile is that they only allow manufacturers to distinguish themselves with hardware (which is outdated the second it leaves the store) and UI skins (that almost always denigrate the overall experience with lag, instability, and unintuitive "features"). Even Google isn't making money on Android. They are pouring money into developing the OS, yet it's open source and the Chinese market sells it without any Google services. Microsoft is the only one that benefits from sales of Windows based phones. What's the point? Nokia needs to develop a platform, drop Intel (ARM owns the mobile future), focus on a single OS (either Symbian or Meego, but not both), flesh out it's OviStore, and develop quality desktop software that allows for the management of music, video, pictures, documents, and data of all sorts. I'll take my $1 now, thank you.
    Last edited by politicalslug; 09-10-2010 at 06:03 PM.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast